GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Updated PIcs: VS Excecutive kit with HRE's

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-03 | 10:04 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellant, keep up the good work!
Old 04-28-03 | 11:22 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looking good! I like it. Since you're looking for black trims why don't you black out the window trim too.I really like the "totally" black out look. Let me know if you find any good black trims.
JacobT, I was reading some old posts by you on how you blacked out the window trim, I would love to have it all blacked out. I was contimplating getting the window trim painted, but that seems like a pita to remove, etc, etc, to get it painted. How has that tape you used holding up, and how long have you had it on there? Im thinking about going that route and see how it turns out. As far as the trim goes, I have my body guy looking for me, no luck yet. The only black trim I have found is that rubbery black trim you can find at Pep Boys or the like. Im not going to use that stuff, you need to keep Armor All on it to keep it shiny black, thats too much of a pita. Ideally I would like to find a glossy, hard plastic black trim that stays shiny black on its own, and is a good quality product. I will keep you posted if I find anything. If I dont soon, it will be chromed again.

Hameed, thanks for the compliments. These are the regular 540's, chrome faces, polished lip. If I was to buy a new set I would go for the 540R's, the R versions have a deeper lip. The 540's have a stepped lip, which makes them appear not quite as deep as the R, which sports a flat lip, larger appearance. Any HRE you go with you cant go wrong, they are amongst the best out there.
Old 04-28-03 | 11:47 AM
JacobT

TT,

I have my black tape on my window trim for almost 3 years now and it's holding up very good. You can always remove it if you want to get the chrome trim back.

BTW, do you have to remove the engine under cover to fit the VS front bumper? I noticed that you do not have the under cover.
Old 04-28-03 | 12:29 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW, your car looked good before......not it's off the scale.
Great job dude !!
Old 04-28-03 | 03:27 PM
ruki400
Pole Position

Very Classy. It would look cool cutting through the fog. its stealthy looking.
Old 04-28-03 | 04:52 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

JacobT, The engine under cover is still on the car, it just doesnt extend all the way out to meet up with the VS front. There is a gap between the cover and the bumper, probably about 3", it looks bigger on one of those pics with the light shining through. The under cover is still secure, it doesnt move around or anything.
Old 04-28-03 | 04:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,525 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Originally posted by Hameed
The more I see those style HRE's on members GS's, the more I like them over the 5 or 6 spoke star style HRE rims..........

Gotta save up for them though - I am sure they cost a pretty penny! If you don't mind my asking, how much did the wheels cost you? Also, what is the size of the lip front and back? From the pics, it is hard to tell the lip size on the rears....
Hameed - you probably know this but HRE's come in 'R' and 'non-R' (original) styles. The non-R or original style HRE's have a 2 step lip which is terrific in my opinion on 20's because the wheel is still huge, but the 2 step lip makes the center look a touch smaller so it doesn't look as big as a trash can lid! TTurboPimp has 540's (non-Rs) which look GREAT in 20's. The 540R's which I have, have the 'straight lip' and apparently the 19" 540R's like I have use the same size center piece as the non-R 20's. So I went for those because it gave me a bit more tire between me and the road as well as a somewhat lighter rim. The non-R's are less expensive than the newer R's.

There's no doubt that those 20" 540's are GREAT looking - GS4fun had two GS4's with them (sadly losing both of them) and others have them as well. But the nice thing with HRE's is there's still plenty of ways to "have it your way" - order the rims with a particular center finish, center cap, etc.

As far as lips, my 19's have 2 1/2" at back and 1 1/2" at front. Not giant, but then I didn't want huge ones especially in the back because they make the rims look smaller if they're huge. But the lips are super shiny on mine which I think offsets (no pun) the brushed/clearcoated centers. Depends on how much 'bling bling' you want.
Old 04-28-03 | 05:20 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna

There's no doubt that those 20" 540's are GREAT looking - GS4fun had two GS4's with them (sadly losing both of them) and others have them as well. But the nice thing with HRE's is there's still plenty of ways to "have it your way" - order the rims with a particular center finish, center cap, etc.

Thanks for reminding me!

I know I'm gonna take a hit again soon...but i just can't live without these damn things.....you feeling me bit?
Attached Thumbnails Updated PIcs: VS Excecutive kit with HRE's-s3500018a.jpg  
Old 04-28-03 | 07:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

That picture is incredible GS4fun! You never heard a thing about what happened to them?
Old 04-28-03 | 07:20 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna
That picture is incredible GS4fun! You never heard a thing about what happened to them?
You mean..what happened to it! The blue one was stolen about a week after i had demodded the red one to sell. Once the blue one disappeared....i had nothing to do but keep the red one. I got the insurance money for most of the car..but its not the same, rebuilding takes time and a passion which i lost with the car itself. I have urges here and there however.
Old 04-28-03 | 07:53 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GS4FUN-i cant believe you had both of those cars!!! YOU ARE THE MAN FOR TODAY!! (too bad it was only declared at 10:25pm)
Old 04-28-03 | 08:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by GS4fun
You mean..what happened to it! The blue one was stolen about a week after i had demodded the red one to sell. Once the blue one disappeared....i had nothing to do but keep the red one. I got the insurance money for most of the car..but its not the same, rebuilding takes time and a passion which i lost with the car itself. I have urges here and there however.
Your sig says "Two GS...One GS...Zero GS" - I thought you had both stolen. So when you demodded the red one had you sold all those parts? Also, if you had enough cash to have two heavily modded GS's you can certainly afford to 'remod' the red one again!
Old 04-29-03 | 01:04 AM
jcramair1
Lead Lap

All i can say TTpimp is nice @#$ ride. Very clean looking with the HRE's. I almost went with those wheels just could not wait 6 weeks for them. They look even better on black (IMHO)
Old 04-29-03 | 06:52 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Thanks jcramair1, all I need now is a Porsche like yours and I will be set! That is one sweet car, always has been on the top of "my must own one day" list.

By the way, hows that Supercharger working out for you? ANy issues, etc.? Would you recommend it to others? I have been looking at it for awhile now, just havent pushed myself over the edge yet. I dont want to end up with problems like I have read about some of these guys with the TT set up.

Last edited by TTurboPimp; 04-29-03 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-29-03 | 06:24 PM
jcramair1
Lead Lap

TT PImp,

I havn't had any issues with the Charger that's one reason why I went this way rather than the TT way, also the price was another factor, I wasn't going to pay 30k for the TT setup for the Lex becuase I will sometime within the next 2 months be getting a Porsche TT. How were the fitments on your Executive kit? Did everything align properly?

Also I noticed that you have the Tein Flex which is what I am putting in my GS next week how do you like them and would you recommend them? I am looking forward to taking out my conservative L-Tuned suspension.

Last edited by jcramair1; 04-29-03 at 06:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Updated PIcs: VS Excecutive kit with HRE's