GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Thank you CL

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-16, 01:50 PM
2006GeeEss
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thank you CL

I used soft scrub on my leather interior seats and wow. Absolutely amazed at how they came out. No befores but I will get around to posting what they look like now. Used the usual conditioner after and all is well. I also used Tuff Stuff on my carpet and just as impressed.

I had never thought about my front grill being chrome until I checked a few threads. Did it today and oh boy. It transforms the look tremendously. I posted a picture in the "what did you do to your GS today" thread.

Learned a lot about rims/tires/drop/no drop etc. I will be sticking with no drop myself. Just personal preference> I may drop later if it bothers me that much but I doubt it will. I would love to see a thread of all GS300's with no drop on 18's.

So to any and all that contribute their DIY, Rims, small fixes and advice I say thank you. This has really made me a bit more aware of the beauty of this car.
Old 04-17-16, 02:15 PM
GS400V8
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I feel the same gratitude for this awesome community, thank you!

I did the chrome grill mod too, awesome huh? I love it.

My car had a 1" Eibach drop when I got it. I think it's about perfect honestly, maybe about 1.2" after settled. I wouldnt really want it lower than that though.

Here are some pics below of both the grill and my height -

Respectfully, Ya'acov
Old 04-17-16, 02:17 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001GeeEss
I used soft scrub on my leather interior seats and wow. Absolutely amazed at how they came out. No befores but I will get around to posting what they look like now. Used the usual conditioner after and all is well. I also used Tuff Stuff on my carpet and just as impressed.

I had never thought about my front grill being chrome until I checked a few threads. Did it today and oh boy. It transforms the look tremendously. I posted a picture in the "what did you do to your GS today" thread.

Learned a lot about rims/tires/drop/no drop etc. I will be sticking with no drop myself. Just personal preference> I may drop later if it bothers me that much but I doubt it will. I would love to see a thread of all GS300's with no drop on 18's.

So to any and all that contribute their DIY, Rims, small fixes and advice I say thank you. This has really made me a bit more aware of the beauty of this car.

Like some other member ask or say, I want a Thanks button on this site and I agree with that.
The grill look very nice. Great job
Old 04-17-16, 02:29 PM
2006GeeEss
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mcon
Like some other member ask or say, I want a Thanks button on this site and I agree with that.
The grill look very nice. Great job

I like your ride my guy. Clean. And a thanks button would be cool. I think the only thing I will do is put clear side marker lights on and get the windows tinted a bit. after that I am good to go unless I drop her an inch which I would be in no rush to do.
Old 04-18-16, 06:50 AM
Alphaman19
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001GeeEss

Chrome Grill mod? How so? (Mine is showing its age so any improvement would be nice)
Old 04-18-16, 07:22 AM
2006GeeEss
Rookie

Originally Posted by Alphaman19
Chrome Grill mod? How so? (Mine is showing its age so any improvement would be nice)

there are about 8 screw holding the grille down, remove them all. If they are a bit rusty like mine were, spray some wd40 to loosen them a bit. Remove the grill and I placed it on 2 towels in my garage. I sprayed some Kleen strip in the spray can all over it really good, you will see the paint start bubbling within a few minutes. I let it sit for about 5-7 minutes while I started replacing my license plate light bulbs. The first go around I just sprayed the grill down with water and dried it off. Use gloves with this stuff. I let it sit and finished my bulbs. Spayed it again in places that need a bit more, this time I used a toothbrush to scrub a little for the remaining black that was in between the grill. I posted a picture in the What did u do to your gs today" thread. you will be pleased. Ordered the clear side marker lights last night, I think they go well with the chrome grill.
Old 04-18-16, 11:17 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Welcome, 2001GeeEss! Glad you are discovering all of the tidbits of info that this site has to offer!
Old 04-18-16, 11:55 AM
GS400V8
Intermediate

Yes, great explanation above. I just want to add some tips that will really help.

I used 200 grit sandpaper to rough up every painted surface I could on the grill before spraying aircraft stripper. It gives it something to bite into, and completely tore the paint off. Be careful not to go through the paint and hit the chrome with the 200 grit. You want to find balance between pressure, but don't worry, the paint on the grill is very thick. If yours is thinner, use 600, it's better than nothing.

I tried both ways, without scuffing the paint, and with. Without it, it was really not working well, for me anyways.

Also, give the stripper time to work, but try to wipe the excess off the surrounding chrome edge already on the grill's border. Because the stripper is not eating through a paint barrier on that, it is just hitting the chrome directly and can hurt it. Trust me here, I found out just in time.

Also, make sure the excess spray doesn't puddle too much on the back of the grill when it runs down the slats - wipe it off. There is no chrome and no paint on the back, so no protection there. The puddled up stripper will really deform the plastic on the back edges at the bottom of the slats. You will see it through the front of the grill looking down into the grill, because it eats up the back edges. That aircraft stripper is strong. I had to slightly sand the back a little because of this, but it turned out great.

A toothbrush works great to get the really rough spots off, but I needed something slightly stronger. I used a plastic removal tool's edge, but a plastic razor blade would work wonders here. Took me about 3 hours, but I wanted it looking OEM chrome.

Last edited by GS400V8; 04-18-16 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-18-16, 01:42 PM
2006GeeEss
Rookie

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Welcome, 2001GeeEss! Glad you are discovering all of the tidbits of info that this site has to offer!

Thnx Big T. Best thing happen to me is finding this spot
Old 04-18-16, 01:43 PM
2006GeeEss
Rookie

Originally Posted by GS400V8
Yes, great explanation above. I just want to add some tips that will really help.

I used 200 grit sandpaper to rough up every painted surface I could on the grill before spraying aircraft stripper. It gives it something to bite into, and completely tore the paint off. Be careful not to go through the paint and hit the chrome with the 200 grit. You want to find balance between pressure, but don't worry, the paint on the grill is very thick. If yours is thinner, use 600, it's better than nothing.

I tried both ways, without scuffing the paint, and with. Without it, it was really not working well, for me anyways.

Also, give the stripper time to work, but try to wipe the excess off the surrounding chrome edge already on the grill's border. Because the stripper is not eating through a paint barrier on that, it is just hitting the chrome directly and can hurt it. Trust me here, I found out just in time.

Also, make sure the excess spray doesn't puddle too much on the back of the grill when it runs down the slats - wipe it off. There is no chrome and no paint on the back, so no protection there. The puddled up stripper will really deform the plastic on the back edges at the bottom of the slats. You will see it through the front of the grill looking down into the grill, because it eats up the back edges. That aircraft stripper is strong. I had to slightly sand the back a little because of this, but it turned out great.

A toothbrush works great to get the really rough spots off, but I needed something slightly stronger. I used a plastic removal tool's edge, but a plastic razor blade would work wonders here. Took me about 3 hours, but I wanted it looking OEM chrome.

Spot on with good extra tips.
Old 04-18-16, 11:28 PM
GS400V8
Intermediate

Thank you, your tips were excellent as well Gee Ess.

And Thomas, your videos on youtube are great, I've watched almost all of your GS400 ones. I didn't know you were on here, very cool!
Old 04-19-16, 12:15 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by GS400V8
Thank you, your tips were excellent as well Gee Ess.

And Thomas, your videos on youtube are great, I've watched almost all of your GS400 ones. I didn't know you were on here, very cool!
Planning to make another one soon. Stay tuned.
Old 04-19-16, 01:00 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Great thread
Old 04-19-16, 01:28 PM
2006GeeEss
Rookie

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Planning to make another one soon. Stay tuned.

whats the youtube handle T?
Old 04-19-16, 08:23 PM
GS400V8
Intermediate

Awesome I will definitely be tuned im ThomasGS4!

Here is his youtube channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCqDFVxrHJvgy0-anRJFUTvQ