GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Win Spoiler install question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-03, 11:34 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Win Spoiler install question

For those with the Win spoiler, did you just use adhesive for the install? Or did you actually drill into the trunk lid (and spoiler) to make sure? For those using adhesive, any problems?

Thanks.

Last edited by Neo; 05-06-03 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-06-03, 02:16 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr. Anderson....

I had my spoiler attached with both adhesive and bolts. Extra precaution in case someone decides to rip it off...I have heard that it happened before with lip-style spoilers...

Brent
Old 05-06-03, 05:00 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Speaking of using tape to keep things on (sorry to tangent), how do ya'll with the L-Sportline Roof Spoiler keep it on without being afraid of it being ripped off by someone?
Old 05-06-03, 10:02 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by kevs
Speaking of using tape to keep things on (sorry to tangent), how do ya'll with the L-Sportline Roof Spoiler keep it on without being afraid of it being ripped off by someone?
I have the Junction Produce Roof Spoiler and it is kept on by adhesive also. I've never thought someone would steal it but if they do, I'm sure they'd be expecting a royal a** beating to follow, beside the fact it would be no use after the manglement of it from them tearing it off.

-Anthony
Old 05-06-03, 10:09 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by BLiu
I had my spoiler attached with both adhesive and bolts. Extra precaution in case someone decides to rip it off...I have heard that it happened before with lip-style spoilers...
That means drilling into the trunk and spoiler.
Old 05-07-03, 01:01 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its originally meant to use only adhesives then?
Old 05-07-03, 07:25 AM
JL4785
Pole Position

I believe all roof spoilers use Adhesive only... The genuine WIN racing rear spoiler was originally supposed to use adhesive only as well. I would have it bolted on for good measure.
Old 05-07-03, 09:25 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Neo
That means drilling into the trunk and spoiler.
Neo,

The true WIN spoiler is only attached by adhesive. As long as you are comfortable with that, then it should be no problem. The one I have is a WIN-style spoiler and came with bolts attached to the spoiler. I just had the body shop replace my factory spoiler with the WIN-style spoiler and I believe they had to drill one set of extra holes.

Brent
Old 05-07-03, 10:21 AM
Neo
The One

The true WIN spoiler is only attached by adhesive. As long as you are comfortable with that, then it should be no problem. The one I have is a WIN-style spoiler and came with bolts attached to the spoiler. I just had the body shop replace my factory spoiler with the WIN-style spoiler and I believe they had to drill one set of extra holes.
Are there any differences, visual or otherwise, between the Win-style and the original (other than the bolt holes)? I currently have no spoiler. I'd have to drill into the trunk lid. That said, can the replica be attached with adhesive like the original? Meaning is the contact surface any different?

Just wanted to see that since I may have to drill, are there any advantages to getting the original, other than I know I have the original vs. the replica? Once I drill, wouldn't the original be the same or similar to the replica? If so, I would also have the option of doing adhesive only on the replica, right?

My UGO roof spoiler is going to be adhesive only anyway. I wanted to get both spoilers on at the same time if possible. My UGO is waiting for my decision with the trunk spoiler.

Thanks for the responses so far guys.

Last edited by Neo; 05-07-03 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-07-03, 10:50 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Neo
Are there any differences, visual or otherwise, between the Win-style and the original (other than the bolt holes)? I currently have no spoiler. I'd have to drill into the trunk lid. That said, can the replica be attached with adhesive like the original? Meaning is the contact surface any different?

Just wanted to see that since I may have to drill, are there any advantages to getting the original, other than I know I have the original vs. the replica? Once I drill, wouldn't the original be the same or similar to the replica? If so, I would also have the option of doing adhesive only on the replica, right?

My UGO roof spoiler is going to be adhesive only anyway. I wanted to get both spoilers on at the same time if possible. My UGO is waiting for my decision with the trunk spoiler.

Thanks for the responses so far guys.
Hi Neo,

The reason I went with the replica was because:
1) Availability.
2) It came with bolts so you have to drill holes.
3) It's cheaper than the true WIN spoiler.

The true WIN spoiler does not have attached bolts so you will just be using adhesive. It all boils down to whether you want to bolt the spoiler on or adhere it. The replica looks just like the true WIN spoiler except that it's made of fiberglass. I don't know if the true WIN kit is made of fiberglass as well...Hope this helps.

Brent
Old 05-07-03, 11:00 AM
Neo
The One

2) It came with bolts so you have to drill holes.
So then the bottom of the the replica is not flushed but has a bolt protruding from it?

Thanks Brent.
Old 05-07-03, 11:04 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Neo
So then the bottom of the the replica is not flushed but has a bolt protruding from it?

Thanks Brent.
CORRECT! You Got It!

Brent
Old 05-07-03, 12:00 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

brent, i'm sorry, but can you elaborate a bit why protruding?
Old 05-07-03, 12:07 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by bravo261
brent, i'm sorry, but can you elaborate a bit why protruding?
Hi All,

I am EXTREMELY sorry! I got it wrong. I just remembered that my WIN replica spoiler ONLY had bolt holes so you can indeed have the flexibility of adhering the the spoiler or bolting it. You basically bolt it from the inside of the trunklid, through the drilled holes on the trunklid, and screw the bolts into the bolt holes of the spoiler. I wish I had a pic but I don't...Sorry. The factory spoiler has the same configuration!
Sorry NEO!

Brent
Old 05-07-03, 01:23 PM
Neo
The One

I just remembered that my WIN replica spoiler ONLY had bolt holes
This is what I thought it would be. I was not sure why they would have done it the other way. This makes my decision easier. I was reluctant to drill into the trunk lid. Repainting the lid if I ever wanted to change is easy. Filling holes is another matter. Also, the worst case scenario of someone stealing the spoiler (like some people were afraid of in other threads) is a little better with losing the replica vs. losing a more expensive hard to get real one.

As for losing the spoiler because of the adhesive, I am already taking a chance with the UGO and somewhat with my TTE front lip. There are a few screws in the front lip but it is mostly adhesive anyway.

Thanks for clearing this up Brent.

Quick Reply: Win Spoiler install question