GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

? about used GS430 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-03, 05:47 PM
kirk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? about used GS430 purchase

Hi there. I am in the market for a used ('01 or '02) GS430. I really like the Mark Levinson stereo and know that I want to find a vehicle that has that. However, I'm not so sure about the Navigation system. I don't think that I'd use it much (if ever) and it seems like one of those things that is just bound to quit working and cost a fortune to repair. However, all of the cars that I'm able to find with the Levinson option also have the Nav. Just wondering if the Levinson stereo was even available with the Nav and also what are your opinions on the Nav system (usefulness and reliability).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers,
Kirk
Old 05-06-03, 07:00 PM
RobertT
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Hey Kirk,

Well I was in your shoes back in January. I finally decided that ordering and waiting the 3-4 months was going to be necessary to get the car as I wanted it. And finally, after ordering on 1/27 the car is in and I pick it up tomorrow!!
Old 05-06-03, 07:11 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Most of the GS430 with ML will comes with Nav and now most of the GS430 will comes with everything(fully loaded). The GS430 with ML/wo Nav is very hard to find.
The problem with Nav is very rare,but I don't know about 10 years from now..IMO. So far so good, no problem at all.
I would rather go with Nav because right now all the new Lexus will have Nav in all of their line up(options) and Nav will be standard in all cars in the future. This will give you a better resale value in the future. I rarely use my Nav, but when I went to D.C, N.Y or Orlando...man, the nav come in handy. I also use Nav in traffic jam situation to find an alternate route or side street to avoid the traffic jam.
Old 05-06-03, 10:03 PM
woodyaht
Driver

I can tell you that on the 03' models to get the ML you have to get the Nav. That was what the dealer told me anyways. I wanted the Nav. as much if not more than the ML. You might not think that you will use it, but it comes in extremly handy when you are off the beaten path. I like it cause when you are in the mountains you can see the hard turn coming up ahead and you are prepared for it. And it is also very useful in a place like San Francisco where it is very hard to find a freeway on ramp unless you know where to go. It tells you what direction you enter so you are in the right lane.
Old 05-07-03, 11:07 AM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't worry-get the NAV! I felt the same way...I'd probably never use the NAV and didn't see paying extra for the option....but when you buy used there are far less choices. I find myself using the NAV quite a bit and it's great on vacations. i don't see myself buying another car without the nav now!
Old 05-07-03, 11:53 AM
Ken98LS400
Driver School Candidate

Default Nav TouchScreen Controls

Are the climate and radio/CD controls on separate buttons or do you have to use the Nav screen to get access to change temps, stations, CD's, etc. I know with the LS 430 you have to use the Nav screen for almost everything, just wondering how it is on the GS.

Thanks
Old 05-07-03, 12:00 PM
woodyaht
Driver

Default Re: Nav TouchScreen Controls

Originally posted by Ken98LS400
Are the climate and radio/CD controls on separate buttons or do you have to use the Nav screen to get access to change temps, stations, CD's, etc. I know with the LS 430 you have to use the Nav screen for almost everything, just wondering how it is on the GS.

Thanks
On mine they are separate buttons, for the basic controls of changing temp and radio stations, changing cd's, cd tracks. You can use the Nav. screen as well for more control, like fader, balance, bass/treble, what vents you want the air coming from, etc.

Last edited by woodyaht; 05-07-03 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-09-03, 09:58 PM
Houston GS

Kirk - I was in exactly the same boat as you. Wanting the ML but not the Nav. I bought a 2001 GS 430 and it had both and I really like the Nav! I am looking to upgrade the DVD. I used the Nav last night driving home from downtown Houston and it showed me a better way home than I would have known. It has done this a few times in the 1 month I have had it. It's great. Get the Nav.
Old 05-10-03, 07:33 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

I felt the same way with you before regarding having a NAV. But I found it to be more useful than one would think...by a million times! I'm a great road map reader and have a very good sense of direction but the NAV is far superior in every way. I will always get a car with a NAV in the future. That should be standard. As far as problems with it, I don't have one bit since '98.
Old 05-12-03, 08:39 PM
kirk

Thanks for all the replies. Well, I've decided to go for an '01 or '02 GS430 with the ML/Nav combo.... now all I have to do is find one Thanks again!

Kirk