GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Gs300 double din install diy detailed and pictures!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-16, 10:25 PM
Forrestb
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gs300 double din install diy detailed and pictures!!!

Ok guys so im new to the forum my names forrest and i own a black 99 gs300 with 200k miles ect ect. Now on to the diy!

Ok first off i am not a professional i by anyway shape or form am not resposible for damage done to your car if you attempt this diy this is just a basic guide and what i did to get the radio working properly!!
I am doing this write up because maybe it can help someone. I searched and searched and got enough to piece it together but no fully detailed write ups.

If you can do a radio in any normal car and are ok with wiring then you should be able to do this

Tools i used
:screwdriver
10mm with extention
Wire cutters
But connectors
Crimpers
Lots of tape/wire loom

The amount of the clean install depends on you. I feel like mine is very clean for what it is

Parts list:
Metra dash kit for 99 lexus gs300
Radio of your choice
Extra wire of your choice. I used 14g.
Radio install kit. (Comes with 2 plugs. It does not say lexus in anyway i just went to autozone and got the one for 87+ toyota and it worked just fine. If you find an 87+ one from wherever else i think it might work
Butt connectors/ Sauder whatever works
<br >
Ok lets get started.
First things first unplug your battery you dont want anything surprise blowing up in your face like your airbag (cough cough) <br >
Then take apart your glove compartment!
There are 3 screws on top and 2 10mm on the bottom. After you remove those give it a good tug and it will come out.

I sont have pictures of the glove compartment but you will figure it out.

Now for the center console.
Pull out your ash tray by taking the ash oart out first then giving it a good tug. I put my ebrake on and used the neutral saftey switch to pull the gear selector back.Its held in by a few clips so try not to break em.

Next pull out your clock/vents. Use a little screw driver or what ever you like (i used a big knife) and it should come out <br >

Unplug then set aside. Now you will notice 2 10mm bolts take these out <br >

Same behind the ash tray
NOTE: AFTER YOU HAVE TAKEN THE 4 10MM BOLTS OUT THERE IS A SMALL PLASTIC PIECE HOLDING IT IN JUST TUG IT AND IT WILL COME OUT. BE CAREFUL IT WILL COME FAST. Lol <br >
After you remove those 4 bolts and get it out then set it aside. Or you can do like i did
I went inside cause its hot out and worked on putting the dash kit together and all my wiring!!! <br > <br > <br >
Now i may have missed some pictures but bare with me.
First off extend all the wires from your radio harness except for the12v switched it will be wired behind the radio. The wires should reach to the far right of your glove box. Measure before you make the cut and give some extra slack.
Now you have a nice set of wires from your radio. Attach them to the dash kit you bought.
Make your ground wire longer than the rest because we have to make a ground.
They should match up colors
NOTE IF YOU ARE WIRING YOUR DOUBLE DIN IN WIRE THE PARKING BRAKE SWITCH TO YOUR GROUND WIRE BEFORE YOU EXTEND THEM. IT MAY BE ILLEGAL IN YOUR STATE BECAUSE YOUR NOT ALLOWED TO WATCH DVDS WHILE DRIVING

when you are done with your wiring harness tape it up good and set it aside. Should look like this <br >
<br > <br >
Next undo the screws on the side of your factory radio/climate control and reistall onto your new radio there are 4 screws. Your dash kit ahould have come with instructions <br > <br > <br >
Now run your wires from the radio to behind your glove box. Your factory amp is on the right side. Unplug the bottom 2 and they should look like this. <br > <br > <br > <br >
Now is where your just gonna have to listen as my phone died and i couldnt take pictures.both of your plugs should plug into the 2 bottom plugs from the amp. The 12v constant wire goes into one if those plugs and the wire coming out is blue with a yellow stripe. Thats 12v constant.

Now if you look up and to the right you will see another 10mm bolt. This is where i put my ground wire (thats why i said make it alittle longer than the others) use what you like to attach it. I used one of those butt connectors with the circle on the end to ground it.
Use this if it helps you. The wires that you extended and the plug that plugs into your factory amp wiring the wiring should come out the other side matching these
<br >

Now that you have your wires ran and everything plugged in your sitting there like "well where do i put the 12v switched" or trying to turn on your radio. Well slow down turbo we are almost there.
If you look at the plugs that plug into your factory radio you will see a grey one (i believe its on the top left side) sorry that i dont have a picture. Cut it. I used 3 of these plugs.(2 male 1 female or vise versa) just incase somewhere later on if i wanted to reistall the factory radio all i had to do was unplug and replug it back in.this is where your 12v switched works <br > <br >
Install your radio and put everything back together. Dont forget the bolts and screws. If you do it will rattle. <br >
I hope this has helped you!!
If i have missed anything please let me know and i will try and ad it but im pretty sure its spot on.
Heres some random pictures also. <br > <br > <br >
The following users liked this post:
QLex300 (12-30-21)
Old 07-11-16, 07:10 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Nice work. It has been added to the 2GS FAQ & DIY Thread.
Old 02-06-18, 03:36 PM
Yordan1k
Driver School Candidate

Default I have a 98 gs400

what’s up guys, I have a 98 gs400 and want to replace my factory stereo it works but the screen went out and the previous owner jammed the cd changer lol

i want to try to install a Panlelo 7inch Doubel din stereo but what I want to know is what stereo kit or any complications will I need or run into
Old 02-06-18, 05:58 PM
AgedGS
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Yordan1k
what’s up guys, I have a 98 gs400 and want to replace my factory stereo it works but the screen went out and the previous owner jammed the cd changer lol

i want to try to install a Panlelo 7inch Doubel din stereo but what I want to know is what stereo kit or any complications will I need or run into
I hate to be "that guy" but there are a number of posts on installing an aftermarket stereo. You just need to search. The main thing you need to do is make sure you are following the directions for the correct factory system ML/ Nakamichi/etc. For example, mine was a Nak system, and the amp was located somewhere completely different than in this diy.
They all can use the same dash kit & wiring harness, but its just a matter of what will have to be done in addition to that.
Old 02-06-18, 06:10 PM
Yordan1k
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AgedGS
I hate to be "that guy" but there are a number of posts on installing an aftermarket stereo. You just need to search. The main thing you need to do is make sure you are following the directions for the correct factory system ML/ Nakamichi/etc. For example, mine was a Nak system, and the amp was located somewhere completely different than in this diy.
They all can use the same dash kit & wiring harness, but its just a matter of what will have to be done in addition to that.

i get it I just wanted to be “that lazy guy” that didn’t wanna search lol but Ima have to search then ..thank you
The following users liked this post:
Nguol (03-20-21)