GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

the passionate pursuit of frustration

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-03, 01:45 PM
woodyaht
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending on how serious you seem I wouldn't be talking with the salesman anymore, I would demand a meeting with the sales manager or general manager. I have always found that you have to go to higher places to get what you want. And talking with a manager is what I would do. A lot of times the salesman won't convey the seriousness of the situation to his boss and that's where talking to the "boss" directly can get answers. Luckily my Lexus buying experience was flawless. It was the best auto buying experience to date. Good Luck
Old 05-07-03, 02:34 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Angry

RobertT, I agree with woodyaht 100%. Be polite (of course), be firm (of course), and your dealings from hereon should be with someone at management level or even the owner. My car is factory ordered also (as was the previous one), and the dealership was more than happy to do so, knowing that they were going to sell a car that might otherwise be difficult to move were it on the lot and that it wouldn't be floorplanned (the first was a manual tranny SC300 and the second is the GS in my sig, which sounds just like yours).

I have to think the dealer is just trying to gloss over an error they made in transmitting your order to Lexus of North America. I'm afraid that the Lexus dealership experience that I used to know a few years back may be gone for good, now that Lexus has established itself as a luxury brand in the public consciousness.

Stand tall and walk if you have to.
Old 05-07-03, 03:11 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Question which dealership in ohio?

curious about this, was thiking of shopping around and seeing what kind of deal i could get if i ordered a new gs when the body style changes, you could always check with lexus of nicholasville ky, i know they will treat you right.
Old 05-07-03, 03:51 PM
RobertT
Driver School Candidate

The latest is that the dealership has a call in to the regional rep to see if 5 17" wheel/tire combo can be delivered since they were ordered on the car. I think I know the answer to this question: Not for free....

I believe they have plans to sell the car as is.

This is Lexus Rivercenter in Covington KY. Does anyone offhand know of the Lexus Customer satisfaction number? I'm probably not going to end up being a customer but I'd like give my input on the Lexus car ordering process.
Old 05-07-03, 05:44 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

800-25-Lexus is the number.

sorry to hear of your botched order, but i agree with everyone else on this issue. it's a pretty big purchase; don't accept anything less than you expected. in the first place, they should not have screwed up your order. in the second place, they should be doing whatever it takes to keep you happy. don't settle for less, or else you will end up regretting it.

i ordered my '01 GS430 fully loaded silver/black and got almost everything i wanted, except for the wood/leather steering wheel. i guess they were not being shipped with those quite yet, which sucked b/c that's what it showed on the stupid website when i ordered from the dealer. and to get it aftermarket was going to cost a lot more than the ordered price. but i ended up dealing with it and i don't mind the all leather wheel in black. but sometimes i think about it and still cringe. and worse yet, when i see it on other GS430's out there, i nearly want to cry!

so don't let this happen to you! if you like the GS a lot, then wait for the right one! or make the dealer make it right . . .
Old 05-07-03, 07:23 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Am I missing something here ??!! You SPECIAL-ORDERED the vehicle, YOU had to wait 3/4 months for it to arrive the way you wanted it, then when it comes in it's not what you specifically ordered, although you have the paperwork stating otherwise, and now YOU should pay for their mistake ??!! WTF ??!! They made the mistake, otherwise you'd either have 17" wheels or paperwork stating otherwise, which you have neither. You made a good faith effort to show intent by leaving a deposit that could've been sitting in your bank gaining interest, but that's STILL not good enough for them, now you should pay for their screwup ?! An honest dealership would see the big picture, i.e. 2 solidly potential sales, service/accessories in the future and good word of mouth to friends and family. It's not like they sold you the car $5k below COST, tell them to swallow the tires, at this point they can't afford any fewer GS430 sales.
Old 05-07-03, 08:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,633 Posts

RobertT - it's pretty simple. You ordered the car a certain way and I believe you have IN WRITING what you ordered. They didn't get what you ordered. It's THEIR problem to straighten it out, at the very least at no charge to you - in fact they should GIVE you something for the aggravation. Another CL member (realmarty) had a special order that came in wrong and because he'd turned in his prior lease they gave him a loaner car for MONTHS until the right car came in! Now THAT'S amazing service.

I also am not totally convinced that this was a case of Lexus corp. not delivering the right thing. It's definitely possible that despite what the dealer gave you in writing that they ordered the wrong thing from the factory. It also sounds like your salesperson is an idiot and is treating you disrespectfully. Don't stand for it, and don't bother with him or her. Ask to speak to the General Manager, and tell him or her you ordered a car, it's not right, and now you're being made to feel like it's YOUR fault or that the dealer will be doing you an extra favor getting you what you were originally promised. That's BS. I'd discuss when they can get you an answer one way or another - either the car you ordered at the price agreed, or your deposit back and you'll go elsewhere, and DEFINITELY make it clear that they will also lose the sale of an RX330 and that you will not be saying kind things about them going forward and that you WILL be calling 800-25-LEXUS to complain. Those things SHOULD get their attention.

Lousy dealers ruin ANY brand of product.

I got the runaround with local dealers when I went in in '99 and simply said I want a silver one with nav and 17" wheels. Local guys gave me the 'ooh we don't get many of those, wouldn't you rather have one of these nice ones we've got on the lot?' horse manure. I then called a dealer about 150 miles away and they got me the exact car in about 2 weeks at a reasonable price - the sales guy CAME UP TO WHERE I LIVE, drove me down to pick up the car... awesome!

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 05-07-03, 08:29 PM
Navaz
Pole Position

Up here in Calgary Canada Lexus only comes one way. FULLY LOADED!!!. If you don't want every thing then they will special order it for you.
Old 05-07-03, 08:51 PM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Go to the manager & be FIRM ;)

Hello Robert. Sorry to hear about your Lexus buying experience. Go into the dealership.& ask for the general manager. Do not talk to the sales guys. Tell him flat out (bring paperwork)
1) You waited 3 Friggin MONTHS. Way too long IMO- bullshet
2) You ordered in writing (17's wheels) for GOD's sake.
3) Remind this guy about the bad Lexus Buying experience that you are having with here. YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT HERE! Lexus is all about sales & SERVICE. WHere's the SERVICE. You did nothing wrong here. Tell them to get the GS w/17's you ordered. If they don't budge! GET your deposit back. Get the BMW. My dealer was willing to buy the GS from another dealer just to make me HAPPY. Was this sales guy just trying to give you a hard time or something. Never heard of something like that.
4) If this manager has any friggin management skills he will get them to you ASAP!!!!
Remind him that your wife has been seriuosly considering the new RX330. This experience may change your mind.
I'm sorry to hear about the run around. My dealership where I got my GS was awesome. I told them I wanted 17's but NO Chrome & they did it.
This dealership must not sell many vehicles or something. For the dealer to not make you happy is CRAZY!!! I would call the corp. office & let them in on your buying experience.

It sounds like these guys are morons. = shame
These guys really need to call Lawrence Lexus in New Jersey

Paul
Old 05-07-03, 09:03 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Robert, this is not the Lexus buying experience. You are currently experiencing the salesman's persona who at this point needs to be fired outright. Someone botched on the order, bigtime. You should have been dealing with the dealer GM long time ago. At this point, you should have been in touch with corporate in Gardena. Corporate is nice to deal with so fax your documentation and wait. Your expectation should be exceeded.
Old 05-08-03, 12:14 AM
DPRSupra
Lexus Test Driver

hmmm...from your experience it's amazing that the magazine Selling Power just did a huge article on Toyota called "THe Toyota Success Forumla...Hoiw Toyota Keeps Getting Better - and Bigger".

In it, Denny Clements, VP and General Manager of the Lexus Division was quoted as saying "even in the automotive industry, where relationships between manufacturers and dealers can be downright antagonistic Toyota manages to maintain unusually harmonious partnerships with the folks who sell the company's cars. Our first consideration on the sales and marketing side is always the success of our dealers and the welfare of our customers. When Lexus first experienced a recall Lexus did something that was never done before. The had a massive recall, went out and picked up every customers' car, made the repair, washed every car and then gave every owner a gift. They took a recall and turned it into an opportunity to build customer loyalty.

The goal at Lexus is "Not to simply offer good customer service, a concept so bland that it has almost lost all meaning, but to 'surprise and delight' customers in a way that no one else does. That requires an unexpected level of commitment, something the company calls 'discretionary effort'. Discretionary effort is when a company representative does something for a customer when no one is looking that he or she doesn't have to do"

Your salesperson should be selling Yugos. He's betting on a high level of "impulse buying" now that the car you wanted is for the most part here and in front of you. Kind of the same concept that grocery stores use by putting all the candy near the checkout counter.

Good luck and sorry for the long post. If you're interested the magazine was Selling Power January/February 2003 Issue
Old 05-08-03, 01:00 AM
LexFather

Yeah, they are freaking up and you need to shine up your 16" tires real nice, turn them sideways, and STICK THEM STRAIGHT UP THE SALESMANS CANDY ****!!!

Damn, it's not like it's a NAV screw-up or something really crazy. As DAVEGS4 mentioned, it's some damn wheels. 20 damn bolts. It would take the dealer 10 minutes to put them on and TRUST ME, they order and sway stuff from dealer to dealer. They need to call the nearest dealer or distribution wherehouse, get the damn 17s and put them on.

I think the 17" wheel and tire combo is a $215 option when the car is new no?

Good luck and hopefully someone's **** gets kicked.

Give me their number, I'll talk to your dealer. This is insane.
Old 05-08-03, 08:02 AM
kjhouston
Rookie

I've been told that since '01, Lexus no longer makes the 17"silver rims. You can only purchase them in silver. when asked why is still listed as an option, no one can give an answer. I had the same deal when I tried to buy my Lex off the lot. Can't get 17" anywhere. Good luck.
Old 05-08-03, 10:02 AM
RobertT
Driver School Candidate

I find that hard to believe but if it is true it is a perfect example of how screwed up the ordering process is and the lack of communication between dealers and corporate.

I have a call into the manager. After I talked to the salesman last evening, I realized that a good portion of the aggravation that occurred yesterday could have been avoided had the salesman, when he called on Monday evening to say the car had come in, to mention that the wheels/tires were the wrong size. I asked about the car and he said the Levinson was on it. That, I thought, was the big issue. I never dreamnt that the fricking wheels and tires would be the wrong size after you wait 3 and half months for a car.

So basically, he or him and the manager decided to not mention to me the error in wheel size and see if I would still buy the car. I say this because black pearl emblems were also ordered on the car and on Monday evening he said that they, meaning the dealership, had to still put them on the car. On Wednesday, 2 days later, they still need to be put on the car....imagine that......

So here's what I want to have happen: By SATURDAY, I want the car as I ordered it or written paperwork saying that's what I will get in addition in the Buyers order I already have and if the car is delayed then I want a loaner until the car is ready. This is someone's screwup but it is not mine and I'm not going to suffer inconvenience as a result of it.

I told my wife that this is a litmus test of the Lexus service experience. If I am left in limbo while dealership and corporate argue who's to blame, my next car is going to have 2 doors instead of 4

As a sidenote, if I don't hear back from the manager in a timely manner today, the next conversation is going to revolve around picking up the deposit.

Lexus may be #1 but there's no doubt there's room for improvement....

sorry for being long-winded!
Old 05-08-03, 06:06 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I believe that kjhouston is correct - you can not get 17" wheels in silver any more - only chrome. Someone else on the board had the exact same thing happen to them.

I would assume that Lexus downgrades you to the 16" wheels if you order the silver 17" (as you wouldn't really want the extra $2K charge for the chromes).

I did not want the chromes but since that was the only way the car was available, I had to take them - to be honest, I'm really glad I did. I think the new style 17" chomes really make the car look great.

Tell the dealer that you want the chromes and will pay the dealer cost for them. That seems fair.

Doug

Quick Reply: the passionate pursuit of frustration