GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

the passionate pursuit of frustration

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-03, 11:22 AM
RobertT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the passionate pursuit of frustration

Well, I thought I was picking up the new car today and maybe things will work out to that end. I ordered the car back on 1/25 and it arrived a couple of days ago. The problem is I ordered the 17" wheel/tire option and the car arrives without it. At this point, salesman is going to see what the rep. can do. Can someone explain to me how a car that is ordered, built with ML but without NAV can show up with the smaller wheels/tires when the larger ones were ordered?? Exactly how much more difficult is it to mount the larger combo??

Bob
Old 05-07-03, 11:25 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,409 Posts
Default Re: the passionate pursuit of frustration

Originally posted by RobertT
Exactly how much more difficult is it to mount the larger combo??
- take 20 lugs off
- pull of 4 wheels
- put on 4 wheels
- put 20 lugs on

If there is a new GS on the lot with no miles (or <100) with 17's request they put them on yours immediately. You shouldn't have to wait for this.
Old 05-07-03, 11:42 AM
RobertT
Driver School Candidate

There are no other new GS's on the lot
Old 05-07-03, 11:47 AM
woodyaht
Driver

When I ordered my car , the dealer informed me that with Lexus you get what they send you. You can order a car with all the items that you want but there is no guarantee thats what they will send you. Luckily my car had everything I asked for.
Old 05-07-03, 11:53 AM
RobertT
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I was told the same thing; however, I think something that is easily interchangable as tire/wheel size is bit different than if you're talking about having NAV/ML etc. When a customer is spending 45-50 K, receiving the car as he orders it is an issue, at least it is with me. This just may push me back into a 330Ci....we'll soon know.....
Old 05-07-03, 11:54 AM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: the passionate pursuit of frustration

Originally posted by RobertT
Well, I thought I was picking up the new car today and maybe things will work out to that end. I ordered the car back on 1/25 and it arrived a couple of days ago. The problem is I ordered the 17" wheel/tire option and the car arrives without it. At this point, salesman is going to see what the rep. can do. Can someone explain to me how a car that is ordered, built with ML but without NAV can show up with the smaller wheels/tires when the larger ones were ordered?? Exactly how much more difficult is it to mount the larger combo??

Bob
If the dealer is nice, maybe they will put in writing that they will allow you to drive the car off the lot with the 16"s and they will get 17"s, which you ordered. And put them on the car and allow you to keep the 16"s as well with no expense to you. Then seeing you are from Ohio, you can use the 16"s for the winter. Good luck though and sorry to hear about the order screw up. I had the same thing, I didn't want the wood steering wheel but the car came that way. Since it was an option I didn't pay for I took the car and now I love the steering wheel. Granted rims are entirely different. Best of luck and keep us updated on your situation.
Old 05-07-03, 12:01 PM
RobertT
Driver School Candidate

That was my first comment to the salesman. If you put in writing that the 17's will be ordered in and put on the car, I would accept delivery. I needed to return to the dealership with the car anyway to pick up the cargo net, trunk mat and wheel locks either today or tomorrow. His comment was : the manager is not going to eat the cost of new wheels/tires that will be 1700 from the factory when its a 215/retail option when ordering the car. Without it in writing, there was no way I was going to accept the car. The 16" tires look way too small on the car IMO.

The kicker is that there will be 2 sales lost because my wife has the RX330 on top of her list for next year. This experience, if something is not done to rectify the issue, will result in that not happening.
Old 05-07-03, 12:11 PM
woodyaht
Driver

I just posted pics of my car with the chrome 16's and chrome 17's in the GS Gallery. Hope that helps.
I liked the 16's at first, but the 17's grew on me so I had to change them. Stiffened the ride up but the car handles a lot better, and there's more road noise, but that could be changed with the tires.
Old 05-07-03, 12:20 PM
MickeyLex
Rookie

Default Is it in writing?

If you ordered the wheels with the car, then that indicates you paid for it as an upgrade as part of the purchase. Even when people get free stuff thrown in with a car purchase, its usually written up on a "due bill" - meaning the item(s) is/are due to the customer. Does your order / paperwork show you are due the wheels? If yes, then don't take no for an answer - you didn't get what you ordered. If no, then its a tougher battle and you may have to contact the regional Lexus office.
Old 05-07-03, 12:35 PM
RobertT
Driver School Candidate

On the Lexus Rivercenter Buyers Order,

the first listing is 17"wheels (P235/45ZR17). The larger tires were ordered, at least according to the paperwork I have. My salesman seems to be saying that, for the dealership to make the difference up in terms of tire/wheel size, it will cost them much more that $172 invoice price that the 17" option is when ordering. I'm not sure where the blame, responsibility goes but for a customer who waits nearly 4 months
for a car, this is a pretty lame situation and it will be a deal-killer. The next battle I guess will be my fight to get the deposit. I think, without a doubt, that communication between factory and dealership leaves MUCH to be desired.
Old 05-07-03, 12:44 PM
woodyaht
Driver

As dead as the auto market is right now I would guess that if you got nasty with the dealership they wouldn't let you walk. It's too bad that they got a deposit from you though, that kind of puts a kink in the deal. I can't see them letting a customer walk out the door over a set of wheels.
Old 05-07-03, 01:07 PM
RobertT
Driver School Candidate

But that's just it.....under the circumstances, should I really NEED to get nasty in order for things to be made right. I order a car with specific options, I agree to pay X number of dollars for a car with specific options but I should just accept whatever car shows up???

My feelings are that I'm only willing to accept what I paid for. If the factory screwed up the damn order, I'm not accepting the result. I thought my only complaint was going to be to Lexus customer service regarding no all-season option for 17" wheels. They have things based on regions in the country; why not allow for appropriate tire choices when customers in certain areas of the country ask?

The last time I checked at Tirerack, the stock Bridgestones were 176/tire. For many people, me included, a great year round choice would be Pilot A/S at 211/tire. For 35/tire or 175 total, what a great choice to have when buying a car in this class.
Old 05-07-03, 01:22 PM
woodyaht
Driver

I agree with you 100%. but in this day and age of numbers, ( which everything boils down to ) sometimes you have to stand for what you believe in to be heard. And if it's getting nasty, well get nasty. Maybe print this thread out and take it in and show the general manager, that we're talking smack on his dealership.
They don't like bad publicity. As long as people treat me fairly I am the easiest guy to get along with in the world, but when someone tries to go around me or below me watch out. If I was in your shoes I think I would be in the "watch out" mode.
I would go in the dealership and talk to the general manager and tell him/her flat out, I ordered the car with this this and this, and unless you provde me with what I ordered, I want my deposit back and you can take that car and shove it. More than likely the wheels will magically appear on the car.
Old 05-07-03, 01:35 PM
RobertT
Driver School Candidate

Well, the salesman knows where I stand. I'm just waiting to hear back from him as to what the dealership can do. I do know, just based on the aggravation factor to this point, that if one of the 2 local BMW dealerships had a 330 coupe as I wanted, I might very well have been on the phone to say just forget about me buying and I'll be in to pickup the deposit. This is just awfully frustrating.
Old 05-07-03, 01:37 PM
RobertT
Driver School Candidate

I don't think that this is what they mean when they talk about the "Lexus buying experience"

Quick Reply: the passionate pursuit of frustration