GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Luod Engine Noise Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-16, 01:21 PM
STREETGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Luod Engine Noise Help!

jest began a few days ago, im thinking TIMING BELT
Old 07-22-16, 03:32 PM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Take your serpentine belt off and run for around 60 seconds to see if you hear the same sound. My guess its going to be gone and its one of the items driven off that belt. If it does go away, grab each pulley to see if it has any play.

Be aware that running without your serpentine belt means your water pump isn't being driven hence running it for only 60 seconds or so.
Old 07-22-16, 04:30 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Could also use a long hose from your ear and place it at different parts of the engine to pinpoint exactly where its at. I had a very similar sound and thread for it. Came to find out that my keyway broke on my crank.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-vid-clip.html

The videos are after a long time with your noise, it escalated to my worse sound.
Old 07-22-16, 06:55 PM
Blaze876
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

A similar method that i used like what Mr. Joker outlined is to record the soundon your phone while you place it close to each pulley. Remember the order you're doing it. Wherever it sounds the loudest is where its coming from.
Old 07-22-16, 07:04 PM
STREETGS
Pole Position

I will try that I reply
Old 07-23-16, 08:25 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

is it just me or does your main pulley by your radiator outlet look like its "wobbling" in that video?
Old 07-23-16, 03:39 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
is it just me or does your main pulley by your radiator outlet look like its "wobbling" in that video?
Not sure which ones considered closer to the radiator, but I was noticing the power steering pulley looking a bit weird. Actually reminds me when the PS pump shaft snapped on my parents car, it made this EXACT sound... However, being that the shaft was broken inside, there was no power steering.

You said 'main' pulley, I assume the crank pulley on the bottom? I saw that too, but dont think it was wobbling and is just a bit of illusion from the dirty mark on it ( I believe)
Old 07-23-16, 03:53 PM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
I have to agree with sakataj. I think that harmonic balancer looks like its wobbling a little. Its the one on the very bottom middle. The "big one".
Old 07-24-16, 12:18 PM
STREETGS
Pole Position

Here is a closer Look at the Pulleys in action! What do u guys think?
https://youtu.be/xDzVzUlCZO8
Old 07-24-16, 01:03 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

I'd like to chime in if I may. that sound is likely the hydraulic timing belt tensioner. it has likely begun leaking its hydraulic fluid and no longer stays tight against the timing belt tensioner assembly. they are prone to making a loud tapping noise. have you ever had the timing belt done. but even if you did, the tech. that did it could have been low grade and not installed a new timing belt tensioner. not the pulley the actual tensioner. it has a pin that once installed has to be removed. if you have not done the timing belt, than now would be a good time to take care of everything. I would recommend jacking the front of the car up on stands. then remove the under shield, than locate the silver round tensioner thats at the front of the engine and has two ten millimeter bolts holding it on. use a long screw driver to listen for it being the loudest source of the noise. you cold even put your hand on it while its running and feel for it clacking.
Old 07-27-16, 05:18 AM
STREETGS
Pole Position

UPDATE!
so after careful inspection, i was able to pinpoint the problem to the
Water Pump Pulley. I removed the serpentine Belt, and spun each pulley individually
while u sing a long screwdriver as a stethoscope once i got to the water pump pulley and spun it
there was no doubt that it was bad , the, tried wiggling it and did notice some play!

I already ordered the Timing Belt Kit off ebay, might as well do it all since i will be removing the timing belt
it would be a good time to:
Flush Radiator,
replace cam seals
replace crank seal
valve cover gaskets
tensioner
tensioner pulley
thermostat

Purchased The Timing Belt Kit for $360 off Ebay ( OEM TOYOTA PARTS)
Old 07-27-16, 06:58 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Not sure which ones considered closer to the radiator, but I was noticing the power steering pulley looking a bit weird. Actually reminds me when the PS pump shaft snapped on my parents car, it made this EXACT sound... However, being that the shaft was broken inside, there was no power steering.

You said 'main' pulley, I assume the crank pulley on the bottom? I saw that too, but dont think it was wobbling and is just a bit of illusion from the dirty mark on it ( I believe)

Originally Posted by 2GSKaizen
I have to agree with sakataj. I think that harmonic balancer looks like its wobbling a little. Its the one on the very bottom middle. The "big one".
no the one under radiator neck, maybe in the I6 its the Radiator inlet? the one that comes into view about 6 seconds in..up top. thats the one that looks wobbly to me. i dunno what pulley that is as im not familiar with the Gs300 motor

glad you found the issue OP
Old 07-28-16, 02:13 PM
STREETGS
Pole Position

Ready to install
Old 07-28-16, 05:18 PM
STREETGS
Pole Position

A total of $398 from Ebay