GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Can a valet key be cut into a master?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-16, 05:06 PM
eicca
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Can a valet key be cut into a master?

From what I have read (YES I SEARCHED) the master keys have the grooves along the top edge and the valet keys don't. Is this the only physical difference, and would a locksmith be able to add those grooves?

I pushed my trunk valet button only to discover my key isn't cut as a master so now I'm locked out of my own trunk. It is, however, programmed as a master because the security light turns off the instant it goes into the ignition.

A new key is in the mail but I need to get into my trunk before then...
Old 08-12-16, 07:18 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 235 Posts

Just unbolt the upper half of th back seat and go through into the trunk. Depending on what year you might even have a lever on the inside of th trunk lid to open it
Old 08-12-16, 08:23 PM
eicca
Intermediate

Because passengers and cargo.

Need an answer to the original question.
Old 08-13-16, 08:47 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by lexo98
Just unbolt the upper half of th back seat and go through into the trunk. Depending on what year you might even have a lever on the inside of th trunk lid to open it
2001 + have them, i think it was federally mandated by then

Originally Posted by eicca
Because passengers and cargo.

Need an answer to the original question.
wow, you wonder why people dont bother to answer your threads. You do realize he is offering some advice to you and you dont have to be rude to him

Last edited by sakataj; 08-13-16 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-13-16, 08:53 AM
eicca
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sakataj

wow, you wonder why people dont bother to answer your threads. You really are a rude little person arent you?
Pardon me but I guess I'm used to forums where people actually know how to solve problems instead of just rice out with body kits and lowering struts and flux capacitors and "hey just stick a ziptie in it." Actual mechanics and technicians seem to be the minority here. Yes, I do feel frustrated right now.
Old 08-13-16, 10:19 AM
lexo98
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 235 Posts

wow, you wonder why people dont bother to answer your threads. You do realize he is offering some advice to you and you dont have to be rude to him
I tried to swallow my pride and let it go but dude is obviously in the wrong forum. Just so he understands this is a forum where people who are technically inclined share info to help eachother out. If you need spoon feeding go to a mechanic and spend some the extra $$.
Old 08-13-16, 07:21 PM
eicca
Intermediate

Apologies for coming off rude but when I come to a forum and ask a question it's not because I'm looking for a shortcut. I'm looking for information to solve the immediate problem at hand which will not only prove valuable to me but to the next person that will have the question.
Old 08-15-16, 11:06 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Pardon me but I guess I'm used to forums where people actually know how to solve problems instead of just rice out with body kits and lowering struts and flux capacitors and "hey just stick a ziptie in it." Actual mechanics and technicians seem to be the minority here. Yes, I do feel frustrated right now.
pardon me but were used to people ACTUALLY trying to help themselves first not just saying it and waiting to be spoonfed. i warned you not to buy that car as if that particular thing was his solution to fixing it, the rest of the car might be janky as hell also but you didnt listen and bought that thing and now are having tons of issues out of it.... while some of us try to help NOONE is going to be willing to help someone who is rude to someone who does offer them good incite and a solution. also what car forum is generally full of mechanics? they generally are hobbyists at best with some mechanics thrown in. i do ALL my own labor (except some internal motor work) and im no mechanic by trade but i have torn down this car several times and rebuilt it.

Originally Posted by lexo98
I tried to swallow my pride and let it go but dude is obviously in the wrong forum. Just so he understands this is a forum where people who are technically inclined share info to help eachother out. If you need spoon feeding go to a mechanic and spend some the extra $$.
i know

Apologies for coming off rude but when I come to a forum and ask a question it's not because I'm looking for a shortcut. I'm looking for information to solve the immediate problem at hand which will not only prove valuable to me but to the next person that will have the question.
i disagree based on your older posts where most of your info could have been searched. i dont have the answer to this but im sure a trip or call to the dealer could remedy that. if i had ot make a educated guess i would say no it cant be. i think i spent $118 shipped/cut for my key from Sewell Lexus

BTW you friend Lexo98 has a solution for you.....in the old thread i would think this thread belongs in anyways

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post9585512

Last edited by sakataj; 08-15-16 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-15-16, 11:57 AM
eicca
Intermediate

Tell you what, Sakataj. You can help me help myself, how does that sound? I'll send you every thread I found while searching that could have answered my questions if somebody had actually replied. You answer all those ignored threads, and then you'll not only help me, but also the person who asked the same question and got no reply because it was too difficult. Deal?
Old 08-15-16, 12:43 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Tell you what, Sakataj. You can help me help myself, how does that sound? I'll send you every thread I found while searching that could have answered my questions if somebody had actually replied. You answer all those ignored threads, and then you'll not only help me, but also the person who asked the same question and got no reply because it was too difficult. Deal?
tell YOU what im just going to add you to my list of people im ignoring and you can post till your heart is content

bye Felicia
Old 08-15-16, 12:55 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Guys lets get this thread back on track and off the personal back and forth.

OP, I think you might want to ask your question to a locksmith. I suspect they are going to tell you know - freehand adding features to a key doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard or read about.

They (locksmith or dealer) either have a key template instruction based on your VIN to cut a master, or they are duplicating an existing key (which you don't have with the master grooves)
Old 08-15-16, 01:04 PM
eicca
Intermediate

tell YOU what im just going to add you to my list of people im ignoring and you can post till your heart is content

bye Felicia
Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Guys lets get this thread back on track and off the personal back and forth.

OP, I think you might want to ask your question to a locksmith. I suspect they are going to tell you know - freehand adding features to a key doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard or read about.

They (locksmith or dealer) either have a key template instruction based on your VIN to cut a master, or they are duplicating an existing key (which you don't have with the master grooves)
I checked with a locksmith and two dealers and both gave me a wishy-washy "probably not" which is about what I expected.

In theory it should be possible, if the inner "teeth" cuts are the same and the only physical difference is the edge grooves.

It'd take some careful comparison between an actual master and valet key before I would likely feel brave enough to attempt it. It would be quite valuable to know though.
Old 08-15-16, 01:11 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Once you get your new master you should be able to compare more closely and measure with a micrometer to answer the question.

IMO there's too much precision work in order to make something like this viable... locks don't like even little variations. Doing the grooves by hand vs simply buying a key doesn't seem that great an option IMO unless someone is in your current situation with a valet that works like a master and is locked out of the trunk (very rare). I'd just buy a key that works and break into my trunk as above if I really needed to get into it before it arrived