GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What does NA-T mean?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-16, 10:40 PM
nickynickt
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What does NA-T mean?

What does NA-T stand for? And will that affect mpg?
Old 09-21-16, 01:27 AM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by nickynickt
What does NA-T stand for? And will that affect mpg?
Naturally aspirated turbo, and yeah it'll affect mpg
Old 09-21-16, 04:23 AM
Bhubb18
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NA engine with a turbo added, as opposed to a factory turbo engine
Old 09-21-16, 08:27 AM
dreamcar88
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

this has hit a new low lol
Old 09-21-16, 08:33 AM
nickynickt
Rookie

Sorry im young and new to cars. How much do u think it'll cost after labor and what would be the mpg?
Old 09-21-16, 09:15 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamcar88
At one point you didn't know what it meant either......he's learning, that's how it's done, by asking questions.

Back on topic, yes OP, NA-T means taking a car that is from factory naturally aspirated and converting it to being turbocharged.
Old 09-21-16, 09:53 AM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry im young and new to cars. How much do u think it'll cost after labor and what would be the mpg?
I would say it can get costly especially if you want it done right with no issues. Mileage? Well that would depend on your right foot and how often you'll be tempted to use all that power

If it's the 2GS you are specifically talking about, I know a some members here, favor going the Japan 2JZ-GTE route, where you buy the factory twin turbo motor from a Japanese Aristo and drop it into a GS which originally came with the six cylinder. Magnificent, tough motor.
Old 09-21-16, 10:15 AM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamcar88
I totally agree.....why do people not do research. That is a simple google question.
Old 09-21-16, 05:21 PM
firelizard

Received 450 Likes on 356 Posts

Why do you want it if you don't know what it is? Perhaps the question you should ask first is "what does it do?". I can assure you that MPG would probably not be a concern afterwards.

Originally Posted by Jewcano
At one point you didn't know what it meant either......he's learning, that's how it's done, by asking questions.
Or by reading. I recommend reading first, because the questions have usually already been asked and answered.
Old 09-21-16, 05:22 PM
dreamcar88
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano

Back on topic, yes OP, NA-T means taking a car that is from factory naturally aspirated and converting it to being turbocharged.
cant say Ive never not known what na-t was lol. Maybe before i could drive. But owning a supra helps that out alot =) I also did my homework before posting
Old 09-21-16, 05:35 PM
nickynickt
Rookie

I know what a gte conversion is. I just never never what NA-T abbreviated for. But yea i know both will give me more power and speed however for enermous power the gte will be the better route however i dont want more power if ill only be getting 10 mpg. My question is, for a daily driver , is a NA-T a good choice? How much mpg do u NA-T drivers get?

Before you guys tell me to buy a civic or camry , that is out of the question. I like to drive comfortably yet fast as well on some occations thats why i want to hook up my gs300.
Old 09-21-16, 05:55 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Theres a benefit with going in the direction of a NA-T vs an already turboed engine. In the case of the GE vs the GTE, the GE has higher compression (I believe its 10:1) while the GTE is lower (I believe at 8.5:1). With higher compression, less boost is needed for the same about of power, as long as you control the knock retard related to high compression boost applications. And of course given that you still did some engine work to the old engine to handle any boost at all. I wouldnt do an NA-T on the 2GS unless you got lucky and found a low mileage GS to work with.
Old 09-21-16, 08:39 PM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

my 2 cents:
there are two kinds of people who heavily modify their lexus:

1. people with lots of money to play with
2. people who know a great deal about cars

if you are one of these people, great, go for it, we all want to see the results in your build thread.
if you are not one of these, do yourself a favor, BECOME one of these before you attempt to turn a used, heavy, luxury car into a fast car
Old 09-22-16, 02:34 PM
AmanO
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I did not know what that meant until now. I do not think I ever even saw it before.

To me, it is a stupid phrase. Close to an oxymoron.
Not as bad as unretouched, but still.

That said, a google should have been made.

Anyway, with the different compression, is that solely the ECU or are the rods longer or some ****? Is that valve open timing?
Old 09-23-16, 06:59 AM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by AmanO
I did not know what that meant until now. I do not think I ever even saw it before.

To me, it is a stupid phrase. Close to an oxymoron.
Not as bad as unretouched, but still.

That said, a google should have been made.

Anyway, with the different compression, is that solely the ECU or are the rods longer or some ****? Is that valve open timing?
rod length, piston shape and bore size contribute to compression ratio's, among a few others but those are the major factors

Quick Reply: What does NA-T mean?