GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2jz capabilities... ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-16, 10:55 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
Default 2jz capabilities... ?

Quick easy question, is it possible to create 380whp on a NA 2jz-ge with only head work? My instincts say hell no... but my confidence says, maybe it is possible? I met an IS owner stating he has that to his wheels, just seems very high for just head work. He is a 'real' mechanic and does do lots of engine work, but its very hard for me to believe. I failed to ask if he did any cam work, but I still cant see almost 200 extra hp. In addition, he does have headers and a straight pipe all the way back. He said theres no work done on the bottom end, just the heads and even then, he only spoke of porting and polishing. I'll have to ask him to elaborate more the next time I see him. But I'd like to hear what the CL world thinks of this...

Thanks
Old 09-29-16, 02:56 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

even if he bumps the compression up super high still seems doubtful...
Old 09-29-16, 03:51 PM
Bhubb18
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In Australia, we have the 'Barra' motor. Inline 6 cylinder, 4 Litre, twin cam, not too far off a big 2JZ, just with a longer stroke. People have got 200kw+ at the wheels, which is about 280hp, with cams, underdrives, exhaust, intakes as well as a bunch of other work. This guy is getting 100 MORE horsepower (30%+) out of an engine with 25% less capacity? Yeah, how about no for that. Unless its off its chops on E85 or race fuel and massive compression, its not gonna happen on a road car
Old 09-29-16, 04:32 PM
bilgen
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you ride in it OP?
Old 09-29-16, 08:41 PM
firelizard

Received 440 Likes on 349 Posts

He absolutely does not. If at least he'd bull****ted about a built bottom end some ludicrous camshafts it'd be halfway convincing. But no.

Actually, it did make me curious though. Apparently the idea of tuning a 2JZ-GE without adding a turbo is so ridiculous, looking this up was harder than I thought.
Some guy did 215whp on a Mustang dyno with cams and a bunch of other stuff, run by an AEM ECU.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...=1#post7304439
his logic is actually pretty sound though, for the way he approached the build. It's easy to forget that if you are satisfied with a certain amount of power, you might as well just focus on doing that very well instead of trying to go for a bigger number just for the sake of it.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...=1#post7305875

This guy does manage 300, also on a Mustang dyno, with the addition of individual throttle bodies.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...1#post12410986
Old 09-29-16, 09:21 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Naw, I havent had a chance to take a ride in it yet. I was in a hurry and didnt really have much time to BS about cars. Now that I think about it, a cam large enough to for such claimed HP would have an awesome lobe like my drag car this had none at all. To be honest though, it did sound awesome The next time we chill I'll ask for a ride and update with my findings
Old 09-29-16, 09:44 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Oh I'm very familiar of any and most specs, I custom built my drag car and understand almost all about grinds and such... however, being as how popular the 2jz is, I was wondering if it was possible at all. As my original post stated, my instincts said hell no LoL but I wasnt sure if there was something about the 2j that may have been a secret that I didnt know about that 264 is actually pretty mild (no offense) so sounding close to stock doesnt surprise me. But for the numbers he's claiming, I would expect a very aggressive cam for that kind of power as you mentioned before.

On a different note... What kind of hp increase did you get with that cam?
Old 10-01-16, 09:58 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Quick easy question, is it possible to create 380whp on a NA 2jz-ge with only head work? My instincts say hell no... but my confidence says, maybe it is possible? I met an IS owner stating he has that to his wheels, just seems very high for just head work. He is a 'real' mechanic and does do lots of engine work, but its very hard for me to believe. I failed to ask if he did any cam work, but I still cant see almost 200 extra hp. In addition, he does have headers and a straight pipe all the way back. He said theres no work done on the bottom end, just the heads and even then, he only spoke of porting and polishing. I'll have to ask him to elaborate more the next time I see him. But I'd like to hear what the CL world thinks of this...

Thanks
He is absolutely full of ****. There is no question he is not making 380WHP on a NA GE. If he is then he has done something very special and the internet needs to see this car in action!