GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Mystery Lean codes that no one has been able to solve. HALLLLP.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-16, 03:17 PM
McFuzzums
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery Lean codes that no one has been able to solve. HALLLLP.

Hi all, so a quick run down, 2gs 2002 109k on the clock, p0174 and 171. ive had 3 transmissions installed at the dealer this year, and soon after the third one, (the only one that seems to be working properly) I started having a stumble off idle when throttle input was any more than feather foot. (I've been using SNOW mode to get around).
when this first started happening I took it to the dealer, thinking it may be trans related; they identified a hole under the heat shield of the factory style intake. so I built a quick one to hold over using ricer pipes and hose cheap spectre clamps. still getting the lean codes. then new MAF, still lean.
got new plug wires, a coil just incase because 2 and 5 were misfiring. repaired the harness to the ignition coils including new OE connectors. However, I noticed increased fuel consumption and increased fuel odor. If I stick my nose near injector number 6, kind of inbetween it the intake and the brake booster stuff I smell fuel. now, I've looked and felt around but I feel no wetness around there. traced the lines all the way to the tank but no liquid fuel. does any one have a good set of live data for me to compare to?

I've checked just about everything I can think of minus pulling the fuel pump. including soaking things in starting fluid to no avail.

Help me fix this and there will be a reward.
lexus won't touch it till I get it fixed.
Sears couldn't find it, literally told me I've done everything they could possibly do withing reason.
Old 10-28-16, 09:37 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Sears!!!!!!!!???????????? Oh my. I highly recommend you find a qualified mechanic. not specifically knocking Sears techs. but I'd be surprised to see if any of them have an L1 Certified Master tech. on staff. plus one whos familiar with toyota lexus vehicles. have you checked fuel trims? smoke tested? checked fuel pressure? swapped 02 sensors? introduced secondary fuel to see if fuel trims change? usually a stumble on acceleration can be linked to a improperly adjusted tp sensor. especially since you've been thru three transmissions? who keeps putting all the transmissions in the car?
Old 10-28-16, 11:27 PM
McFuzzums
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by badblackgs
Sears!!!!!!!!???????????? Oh my. I highly recommend you find a qualified mechanic. not specifically knocking Sears techs. but I'd be surprised to see if any of them have an L1 Certified Master tech. on staff. plus one whos familiar with toyota lexus vehicles. have you checked fuel trims? smoke tested? checked fuel pressure? swapped 02 sensors? introduced secondary fuel to see if fuel trims change? usually a stumble on acceleration can be linked to a improperly adjusted tp sensor. especially since you've been thru three transmissions? who keeps putting all the transmissions in the car?
fuel trims on b1 are slightly negative if I remember correctly.
smoke tested, not really. starting fluid yes.
fuel pressure is on the list.
02 sensors on b1 both failed the min and max voltage tests.
a stripe of starting fluid on the cone filter settles the motor a little at idle.
sears, just didn't wanna get involved.
and Nalley Lexus has installed all 3 transmissions.

do you have a good base set of live data values for me to compare to?
tps was I think at 14.1 - 14.2 at idle. didn't pay attention to the curve. it's actually next on the list.
I've been without my volt meter.
Old 11-13-16, 07:22 PM
burteboy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default lean condition

look at the long term fuel trim. if the readings are high at idle and no mis fire likely you have a vacuum leak . you said P0171 and P0174 that means you vacuum leak could be by your air filter housing and throttle body hose intake system. air is by passing the maf. Something you may want to check the vent hose from your charcoal canister could be dumping gas into the intake system because of this the ecm is leaning the system .
Old 11-13-16, 07:24 PM
burteboy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh clamp off your booster hose and c if the engine run better . hold it for a while and lookat the fuel trim it wouldtake awhile to drop.
Old 11-17-16, 09:00 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

so I built a quick one to hold over using ricer pipes and hose cheap spectre clamps
You have to make sure you are using true Lexus OEM parts or your efforts to find the cause will be futile, and you may be making the situation worse. My car is mostly dealer serviced (save for a few times by a trusted indy) but I have 221k on my '99 GS400 and I am still running on my original transmission with no issues...so something else is going on. Before you put a transmission (or two, or three) in a car you have to determine why the first one failed at 100k, because that doesn't just happen. I would go back to the beginning of when the problems first started, make sure you car is stock, and only have it serviced by a Lexus/Toyota dealer. Otherwise, you may be chasing problems for a while.