GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New 99 GS300 Owner, a few issues/questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-03, 08:14 PM
ChrisFL
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New 99 GS300 Owner, a few issues/questions

Hi guys. I just bought it last week, it is Pearl White, has a rear spoiler and has 52K miles on it.

I was previously the owner of a 1993 MR2 (NA). Naturally, the GS is a much different car, but it is still fun, and unlike my MR2 which had power NOTHING, now I have power everything

So far, I've noticed that the daytime running lights aren't working. I checked the fuses and one was missing, I replaced it, still no go. Is there any kind of other way a previous owner could have disconnected them?

I looked through the owners' manual and it looks like they're pretty much automatic.

Speaking of "automatic" has anyone ever tried to get the manual shifting steering wheel for an older 98-00 car? Anyone know if it's easy to change it over? If not it's isn't a really big deal, I've heard it shifts for you if you don't at 6K RPMS (?)

I'm not sure if I'll be doing any mods soon, I did get a 3 yr warranty with the car, bumper to bumper.

I WILL however be changing the stock, 5-spoke 16" wheels, which are really bad for a Lexus IMO.

One more thing, is the subwoofer with the basic 215 watt unit an 8"?
Old 05-19-03, 09:24 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,367 Posts
Default Re: New 99 GS300 Owner, a few issues/questions

Originally posted by ChrisFL
So far, I've noticed that the daytime running lights aren't working. I checked the fuses and one was missing, I replaced it, still no go. Is there any kind of other way a previous owner could have disconnected them?
Welcome to ClubLexus Chris and congrats on your new car!

Part of the model year 1999 had DRLs and part did not. I suspect yours was one of the earlier ones that didn't have them. You can disconnect them, but very few people have done that.

Speaking of "automatic" has anyone ever tried to get the manual shifting steering wheel for an older 98-00 car? Anyone know if it's easy to change it over? If not it's isn't a really big deal, I've heard it shifts for you if you don't at 6K RPMS (?)
There is more than just the wheel to change... there is different wiring, a different gauge cluster for the shift indicators, a different shifter which pops over into manual mode, etc. I don't recall anyone putting one in and posting about it here on this forum. BTW, my GS only shifts for me when in manual mode if I'm lightly accellerating (e.g. I forgot I had it on). If I'm under full throttle in manual mode it will go all the way to redline and bounce off the rev limiter.

I'm not sure if I'll be doing any mods soon, I did get a 3 yr warranty with the car, bumper to bumper.
<spoken in Yoda voice> "You will be, you WILL be". Stay on CL long enough and you'll be modding with the rest of us.

I WILL however be changing the stock, 5-spoke 16" wheels, which are really bad for a Lexus IMO.
As soon as you do that, you'll also want to put in some lowering springs like L-tuned to get rid of the '4wd truck' looking gap between your new wheels and the GS fender.

One more thing, is the subwoofer with the basic 215 watt unit an 8"?
There is a Lexus electronics forum where you can post that question a bit further down. BTW, I recommend you don't bunch all your questions together in a note like this. Not many people will respond to a rambling note, just put one question in a single post.

Also please be sure to use the search feature for questions you may have - many will have been asked before.

Again, welcome!
Old 05-20-03, 06:17 AM
ChrisFL
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right, I just wanted to get some initial questions out of the way. I had done a search for the speakers thing, but I couldn't find anything that specifically said what size it was.

I came from the board.mr2faq.com who are pretty strict about questions and searching
Old 05-20-03, 06:44 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Re: New 99 GS300 Owner, a few issues/questions

Originally posted by DaveGS4

<spoken in Yoda voice> "You will be, you WILL be". Stay on CL long enough and you'll be modding with the rest of us.
This is an absolute. ChrisFL, I made your very same comments a couple weeks after I purchased my GS; then I did the unthinkable and rode in Dave's GS. It's been a rollercoater ever since.

Looks like Dave hit the rest of your questions. Welcome Again To CL!
Old 05-20-03, 07:30 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

[
I came from the board.mr2faq.com who are pretty strict about questions and searching [/B]
welcome.... well u don't have 2 b scared 2 ask questioned here, just like dave said don't put them all in one post, guys and gals here will answer u'e questions or lead in the right direction as far where 2 search or give u a link of when that subject was brought up b4 so u can get the info.. so ask away and let the modding begin....