GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

99 GS 400 driver side window noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-03, 02:32 PM
lavaman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 GS 400 driver side window noise

Anyone been successful having their dealer correct wind noise? I've had mine in several times (I purchased it 3 months ago) and they replaced the window runs on both the front windows and I'm still getting the wind noise. I get it anywhere above about 40 mph. I did notice from one of the other posts that their is a TSB out :NV002-98 APR 98 Wind Noise Service Tips . Anyone know what this TSB suggests ? I've not been real happy with my dealer's ability/concern for fixing the problem . On an 85 Honda Prelude I once owned, the dealer checked the car using a special electronic measuring instrument to locate and pinpoint windnoise on it. The Lexus dealer I go to doesn't know of any such tool.
Old 05-21-03, 05:41 AM
jbbnet
Lead Lap

i get the same thing. I noticed it goes away if you close the door good. Opening and closing the windows seems to make it louder. I had the seals replaced a year ago and it didn't go away. Not sure what the problem is but it does go away if i close the door. The dealer said they could adjust the door to make it tighter but it wouldn't lineup as nice. (it would be off by less than 2 MM and you may or may not notice it)
Old 05-21-03, 08:06 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i went 2 a glass replacement shop and they sprayed something into the all my window seals and the noise became nuch lower now, they told me to do this every 6 months, but i forgot the name of the spray.
mayb call a glass shop and ask if they know what can b done.
Old 05-21-03, 09:12 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is fine until I put the windows down, then I get noise as soon as I put it back up. Takes a few hours to overnight to quiet down again. I suspect the rubber seals get moved slightly when I drop the window, and they don't fall back into shape right away after I roll it back up. Takes time for them to re-conform against the glass I guess.

Not a big deal, though surprising in a 50k car. The bad part is-It makes me not want to put the window down unless I won't be driving on the highway afterwards. It's only noticeable over about 55 MPH when it happens.
Old 05-21-03, 09:42 AM
JacobT

Originally posted by Guitarman
Mine is fine until I put the windows down, then I get noise as soon as I put it back up. Takes a few hours to overnight to quiet down again. I suspect the rubber seals get moved slightly when I drop the window, and they don't fall back into shape right away after I roll it back up. Takes time for them to re-conform against the glass I guess.

Not a big deal, though surprising in a 50k car. The bad part is-It makes me not want to put the window down unless I won't be driving on the highway afterwards. It's only noticeable over about 55 MPH when it happens.
That's exact the same situation for me. I found myself no longer drive thru the ATM, instead I park the car and walk to the ATM to avoid roll down the window
Old 05-23-03, 09:04 PM
jbbnet
Lead Lap

i have a fix for this that works for me.

if i open the window and close the window and hear the wind noise, i simply press the window down button slightly without opening the window (at least visually) it appears to go away. It's as if the seal is pushed too far up then it makes the wind noise. Moving the window down and the pressure off the seal makes the noise go away completely.

Try it, let me know if it works for you.
Old 05-27-03, 05:01 PM
Phillycat-24
Driver

Default noise

I have the same problem I think that there is a TSB on this matter. Alldata.com