GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

ebay projector lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-17, 08:44 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Have to disagree slightly.
Most projectors don't have the exact same output.

Many factors such as bowl design, lense type and bulb used drastically can alter desired light output.

Case in point...the Q45 vs the LS430....no way are these putting down the same amount of light on the road.

The Q45 uses multiple small lenses and casts the light into a simulated d.o.t based light pattern. This simulation of the multiple lenses focused into 1 beam detracts from the light output.

The LS430 uses a different approach...it takes light from both the projector itself and a smaller area under the projector that casts a cleaner beam pattern to the road.

This design works so well it provides superior foreground lighting AND the widest spread of HID projectors.

Different design approaches result in different amounts of light cast to the road along with alterations of beam patterns based on the features listed above.

There used to be a site I referred my former customers to which went into grave detail of my explanation above.

It's been a long time since I've done this work...I'll have to see if I can find the site...

​​​​​​​it's a fascinating read if you're interested in this sort of thing

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
I believe there are others that are better now, however, the last I heard the LS430's are the best and actually the Q's are one of the worst.

One thing that practically NOone understands is that ALL projectors have the exact same output in lighting. The difference between all the projectors is how wide the beam extends from left to right (the degree of the angle). Obviously its pretty much impossible to get a headlight pointing forward to go anywhere behind it for output, so best width of the beam would be 180*, the LS430 projectors are somewhere around the high 160's due to the shrouds they use which is pretty damn close to perfect. Most other projectors are like this ----> \ / yes that bad like a 60* angle of output, so basically you dont see anything to the sides of your car, just directly in front of you. Its not a huge deal to see straight to the sides since when you're driving high speeds, anything directly to the side of you goes by in a fraction of a second thus no reason to see it, however when driving, its cool to be able to see everything

Actually, his grammar is rather well considering English is his second language...
Old 01-07-17, 11:27 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I can say from my experience going from Q45 to LS460 back to Q45 that the LS460's definitely seemed brighter as well as having a wider beam pattern. I don't have any scientific evidence to back that up but with the exact same bulbs and ballasts I noticed a difference in useable light on the road. I decided to sacrifice output for the look of the Q45's, they definitely stand out more for a show car, the LS460's blended in so well that I doubt average Joe even realized it was a retrofit. That being said, the Q45's are still and upgrade in output from the factory hid reflectors. It just depends on whether your priority is looks or output.
Old 01-08-17, 12:43 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by tiguy99

Many factors such as bowl design, lense type and bulb used drastically can alter desired light output.

Case in point...the Q45 vs the LS430....no way are these putting down the same amount of light on the road.

The Q45 uses multiple small lenses and casts the light into a simulated d.o.t based light pattern. This simulation of the multiple lenses focused into 1 beam detracts from the light output.

The LS430 uses a different approach...it takes light from both the projector itself and a smaller area under the projector that casts a cleaner beam pattern to the road.

This design works so well it provides superior foreground lighting AND the widest spread of HID projectors.

Different design approaches result in different amounts of light cast to the road along with alterations of beam patterns based on the features listed above.

There used to be a site I referred my former customers to which went into grave detail of my explanation above.

It's been a long time since I've done this work...I'll have to see if I can find the site...

it's a fascinating read if you're interested in this sort of thing

Actually I did study it all back when I was retrofitting, I just opted not to write the complete book on it. I failed in my adjective choice of "all", my bad LoL . And absolutely, the Q's have probably the dimmest output. And yes, we can start talking about fresnel lens and clear lenses and their effects
Old 01-08-17, 01:59 PM
AmanO
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually, his grammar is rather well considering English is his second language...
I agree, but think he should have had someone go over it for a close to 1K item. Now, if he were selling 2$ iPhone chargers, no big deal.

Like I said, it is a nit, anyway.

Also, we cannot forget about the light output ABOVE the main cone. That is just as important, to me, and is neglected by many.
I doubt those amounts are universal across all low beam projectors.

The whole system makes me shake my head. Automakers making silly decisions and customers buying for silly reasons.

Last edited by AmanO; 01-08-17 at 02:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (01-08-17)
Old 01-10-17, 06:39 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tiguy99

​​​​​​​it's a fascinating read if you're interested in this sort of thing
dang this scuks. now I have to decide about looks over performance. such a hard choice!

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
I can say from my experience going from Q45 to LS460 back to Q45 that the LS460's definitely seemed brighter as well as having a wider beam pattern. I don't have any scientific evidence to back that up but with the exact same bulbs and ballasts I noticed a difference in useable light on the road. I decided to sacrifice output for the look of the Q45's, they definitely stand out more for a show car, the LS460's blended in so well that I doubt average Joe even realized it was a retrofit. That being said, the Q45's are still and upgrade in output from the factory hid reflectors. It just depends on whether your priority is looks or output.
thank you so much for chiming in man. this gives me a good Pov about both projectors from someone that actually used both!
I have more to think about now lol.

Actually I did study it all back when I was retrofitting, I just opted not to write the complete book on it. I failed in my adjective choice of "all", my bad LoL . And absolutely, the Q's have probably the dimmest output. And yes, we can start talking about fresnel lens and clear lenses and their effects
sad to hear the qs may be that bad
they will be better than halogen though right? lol

Originally Posted by AmanO
I agree, but think he should have had someone go over it for a close to 1K item. Now, if he were selling 2$ iPhone chargers, no big deal.

Like I said, it is a nit, anyway.

Also, we cannot forget about the light output ABOVE the main cone. That is just as important, to me, and is neglected by many.
I doubt those amounts are universal across all low beam projectors.

The whole system makes me shake my head. Automakers making silly decisions and customers buying for silly reasons.
I hate bad grammar too lol
Old 01-11-17, 07:52 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by robertoyou
dang this scuks. now I have to decide about looks over performance. such a hard choice!

thank you so much for chiming in man. this gives me a good Pov about both projectors from someone that actually used both!
I have more to think about now lol.

sad to hear the qs may be that bad
they will be better than halogen though right? lol

I hate bad grammar too lol
Hang out over on hidplanet for a while.
Won't take long before you find what you need!

That site is like crack....if you have mod money to burn you sure will part with it once you see some of the setups over there lol
With that being said, now that I have my GS400, I'm starting to get the ol retrofit itch myself.
Old 01-11-17, 02:42 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The Q45's are an upgrade over halogen. They won't wow you though. I felt they were an upgrade over the GS stock HID reflectors as well. They just aren't on par with other projectors.

The LS430's are even wider than the LS460's I had but I preferred the looks of shroud on the 460. I believe that car had the motorized lights that would turn the projectors as you turned the steering wheel so they didn't feel the need to use the reflectors to throw more light to the sides like the 430's did. They do have reflectors that fill in a few dim spots in the beam pattern. The 460's would still light up the opposite ditch on a 4 lane divided highway though.

If you want to be blown away by the output, either LS set would be good, the only reason to choose the Q45's is for looks.
Old 01-13-17, 07:27 AM
dreamcar88
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

what do you guys suggest. im in the market for some new oem headlights and not sure what to get. stick with my non hid lenses with aftermarket hid or a different route?
Old 01-13-17, 08:16 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
The Q45's are an upgrade over halogen. They won't wow you though. I felt they were an upgrade over the GS stock HID reflectors as well. They just aren't on par with other projectors.

The LS430's are even wider than the LS460's I had but I preferred the looks of shroud on the 460. I believe that car had the motorized lights that would turn the projectors as you turned the steering wheel so they didn't feel the need to use the reflectors to throw more light to the sides like the 430's did. They do have reflectors that fill in a few dim spots in the beam pattern. The 460's would still light up the opposite ditch on a 4 lane divided highway though.

If you want to be blown away by the output, either LS set would be good, the only reason to choose the Q45's is for looks.
This is going to be a very tough decision :*(
Old 01-13-17, 09:08 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

This is going to be a very tough decision :*(

Let me make it easy for you

Buy these with the Q45s, ask him to put bi-xenon projector's in your high beams. Now you have quad-projector headlights. The inners will make up for any lost output from the Q's
Old 01-13-17, 09:16 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

Let me make it easy for you

Buy these with the Q45s, ask him to put bi-xenon projector's in your high beams. Now you have quad-projector headlights. The inners will make up for any lost output from the Q's
lol I wish it was that easy. but I cant drop that much money on just lights.
I'm glad you chimed in though. When do you think you will be parting out your car
Old 01-14-17, 04:19 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

lol I wish it was that easy. but I cant drop that much money on just lights.
I'm glad you chimed in though. When do you think you will be parting out your car
Well as mentioned, by the end of the year. I already found the LS in mind, but want to pay cash for it, so I need to save up. I just hope its still available.
Old 01-14-17, 05:58 PM
firelizard
Forum Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 366 Posts

If you're low on money just replace with the correct OEM or OE-style parts.
Old 01-16-17, 08:55 AM
robertoyou
Advanced

Well as mentioned, by the end of the year. I already found the LS in mind, but want to pay cash for it, so I need to save up. I just hope its still available.
Lol I can help you with the cash situation if you sell me your lights now 😂😂

Originally Posted by firelizard
If you're low on money just replace with the correct OEM or OE-style parts.
Lol that's been my most recent thought but I really wanted retros 😭. Oems are $650 on eBay so it's very close to retors price