GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

L-Sportline Grill Fitment?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-03, 08:38 PM
Tranman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L-Sportline Grill Fitment?

I purchased an L-sportline grill from a fellow CL member. It was supposed to be for a friend, but he ended up passing on it....so I decided to use it on my car. Well, got it painted and tried installing it...hmmm, I haven't really heard any bad fitment problems before...but it basically doesn't sit flush against the top leading edge...and sticks out about 1/8 of inch towards the front of the hood. Doesn't look too bad, but I know it doesn't fit quite right...and that bothers me

So if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know
Old 05-23-03, 11:19 PM
acnup00tl
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ya I am sorry but I had the same problem. I thought it may have just been my gs but it appears L-sportline does have some fitment issues. It fit but it did not sit flush. I tryed to have my body shop sand it down but they told me they could not do it since the plastic was so thick . They said it would basically be useless. I hope their are no hard feelings about the grill.

Mike
Old 05-24-03, 12:31 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldn't think they would produce a grill with fitment issues and sorry to hear about your problem. i've written to lsportline before and recieve answers so maybe both of you could email them and let them know. not together, so that they think many people have the problem
Old 05-24-03, 03:55 AM
Tranman

Originally posted by acnup00tl
Ya I am sorry but I had the same problem. I thought it may have just been my gs but it appears L-sportline does have some fitment issues. It fit but it did not sit flush. I tryed to have my body shop sand it down but they told me they could not do it since the plastic was so thick . They said it would basically be useless. I hope their are no hard feelings about the grill.

Mike
Mike, it's all good. I'm not mad or upset at you....it's not your fault that it doesn't fit quite right. I know that in the car parts world (especially aftermarket body parts) sometimes they don't fit quite right. I have some good body guys, I'll probably wait to have them fit it better when I get some other things done....
Old 05-24-03, 03:57 AM
Tranman

Originally posted by bravo261
i wouldn't think they would produce a grill with fitment issues and sorry to hear about your problem. i've written to lsportline before and recieve answers so maybe both of you could email them and let them know. not together, so that they think many people have the problem
Sounds like a good idea....but I can't seem to find an email address on the L-sportline website. Would you happen to have it off hand?
Old 05-24-03, 05:53 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why are there so many fitment issues with these aftermarket parts? Are the molds used to make these parts damaged to the point they are no longer producing adequate parts?
Old 05-24-03, 07:04 AM
Guru
Lead Lap

I heard the L-Sportline grill wasn't very good fitment either. Do a search and you'll find the posts. I went with a TTE grill even though it was extremely painful to cough up $350 for a tiny piece of fiberglass and a piece of mesh. Holy overpriced batman.
Old 06-21-03, 03:31 PM
Tranman

I think I figured out why my l-sportline doesn't fit properly....because it's not an L-sportline L-sportline are made of urethane as I found out recently...and this piece is fiberglass...so I am supposing that this an Erebuni grill..which is a replica of the l-sportline. Oh wells....I think that I might just sell it cheap and pick up a real one....or maybe a TRD one.

Last edited by Tranman; 06-21-03 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-21-03, 04:10 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Good thing you found out Tranman. We all know that RMM's grill's have a big fitment issue. Hopefully everything will end up working out for you.
Old 06-21-03, 05:36 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the JDM one from steve. Fit is perfect, it came prepainted and the color is a little off but will have it repainted when the body kit goes on. Like the overall look and the mesh. Very happy with the grill
Old 06-21-03, 06:49 PM
sld
Driver

We all know that RMM's grill's have a big fitment issue.
Is this true? I just ordered a RMM grill. A few people said you have to take time cutting the mesh and it'll fit fine.
Old 06-21-03, 09:45 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

sld- Sorry , but it's a known fact that the rmm grill has fitment issues. I wish it was as easy as cutting carefully around the mesh. The problem is the grill itself. I rate it as an acceptable fit , but nothing close to stock or trd fit .

A tip when you put it on. Let it sit in the sun for a couple of hours makes the grill more pliable .
Old 06-22-03, 06:28 AM
sld
Driver

hmm...I not sure what to get now. This sounds dumb, but I really want a grill with the "L" badge on it. I might just get the chrome stock grill and forget the entire thing.
Old 06-22-03, 09:34 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

sld - I thought you said you had ordered one already? Before you change your mind, i suggest you do a search on the RMM grill and decipher from the pics. on the fitment. Like i said, the fit is acceptable. Many of the members that have the grill are satisfied.

I know what you mean by wanting to have the Lexus emblem on the grill, that was one of the reasons i chose the RMM grill myself.

Do a search on grills before you make your mind up. You don't want to regret it later and spend more money.