GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Aftermarket vs. stock rims (pics)...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-03, 10:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts
Default Re: Re: Aftermarket vs. stock rims (pics)...

Originally posted by Hameed
Yeah, yeah rub it in bro................
You know we're determined to bankrupt you, don't you?
Old 05-25-03, 10:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally posted by lexguynj
Thank you for this very useful info. I too have the L-Tuned shocks and springs set up with my 17" stock wheels and every time I see them, they still look good, but they still look small. Before Ltuning they looked even more out of place since the car was not lowered at that time.

I have never bought aftermarket rims and not about to go to 19 or 20s, however I am seriously considering at least 18's to at least make the overall look of the car better.
Glad the info was useful. If you go with 18's, be aware that if you get any significant 'lip' on the rims, particularly on the rear they may end up looking no bigger or actually smaller than the 17's you have.
Old 03-13-05, 04:57 PM
pa06810
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 16 in. vs. 17 in.

A new member here, great forum. Has anyone gone from 17 inch stock chrome rims on a gs 400 to stock 16 inch to reduce tire noise? I have Falken Azenis 115`s which are too noisy for me.Thanks for any help.
Old 03-13-05, 07:16 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about this for some zero gap fun? Heck there's zero clearance here too....

Old 03-13-05, 07:58 PM
Kevin Wyum
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Outside of the first post in this thread all the other cars look like Hondas with a body kit.
Old 03-13-05, 11:46 PM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Wyum
Outside of the first post in this thread all the other cars look like Hondas with a body kit.
your telling me the red gs with 540, the blue gs with hre540, and Jtanoyo's car all look like hondas? WTF!! all of those cars are tastefully modded...maybe you should have said your not a fan of the "slammed look"...and just wondering..have you ever looked into a VIP magazine? mostly all of those cars have air bags and air runners...
Old 03-14-05, 12:47 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jtanoyo1
How about this for some zero gap fun? Heck there's zero clearance here too....
Damn, that's one wicked ride!
Old 03-14-05, 01:41 AM
Kevin Wyum
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aloha03gs
your telling me the red gs with 540, the blue gs with hre540, and Jtanoyo's car all look like hondas? WTF!! all of those cars are tastefully modded...maybe you should have said your not a fan of the "slammed look"...and just wondering..have you ever looked into a VIP magazine? mostly all of those cars have air bags and air runners...
It's probably my age, I've never liked the rice stuff. Lowering the car a bit improves things but not to that extent unless there's some function behind it. I've been, for the most part, of the mindset that if there's no functional benefit then it's silly. The big exhaust tips on 15 second turds always makes me laugh. I feel the same way about all these goofy "aero" body kits kids put on every manner of car. 99.9% of the time they actually significantly hurt the aerodynamics of the car, either causing severe drag or even dangerous high-speed instability. The saving grace in most cases is the cars are too slow to reach the point where that would be an issue.

Have you ever heard the saying, "Walk softly but carry a big stick."? All these riced out cars are the other end of the spectrum, "Scream loudly and carry a balsa wood stick." I think people call them posers now. I suppose this difference in philosophy has been around forever, a sleeper vs. a rooster. A sleeper would be a car that looks almost stock but has 500 or 600hp while the rooster looks like it should have an Arias top fuel motor but isn't far from stock power outputs.

I can't say I've ever heard of VIP magazine although my other car has been in Turbo magazine a number of times during the 90's including a blurb in their 10 year anniversary issue.

Honestly I just didn't expect to see this with the GS' but as I've mentioned elsewhere it seems to be the natural market cycle for any car. I was kind of depressed when it happened with FD's as well in the late 90's. BTW I'm sure those guys did a quality job with the body work etc. but it just seems like such a mistake. Well my $0.02.

Kevin
Old 03-14-05, 03:05 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heheheh I don't even have a comeback for that, Kevin. Nicely put, even if you have just categorized my car in that group. I guess you haven't known the guys and me yet, otherwise you'd probably changed what you just said.
Old 03-14-05, 09:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well it's always a personal choice, i respect that. and kevin put it very well so there is no unconstructive bashing. i have seen people who flat out saying even lowering the car is bad already. it's all good
Old 03-14-05, 09:28 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

pa06810, you don't need to replace wheels, just tires. Different tires provide different performance. Engineers ALWAYS have to try and balance wet/dry traction, cold weather performance, tread life, cornering traction (both ultimate steady state and transient), and noise. You can have very high limits on some of those things or lower limits on more of those aspects but since some of these qualities are mutually exclusive (example: long tread life vs high traction limits) it is axiomatic that any tire will be a compromise.

That said, I've been very pleased with my Pirelli PZeroNeros; they are certainly quieter than anything I've had on the car (stock Bridgestone RE030 and Pole Position S03) or any GS I've ridden in. I posted a review a while back in the Wheel and Tire section that's more detailed. Apologies, but at the moment I don't have time to go back and find it.

Good luck!
Old 05-10-24, 07:51 AM
brvisual
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
(mods - thought this might be useful in the main area or even the lobby to educate those who might not go into wheels or other sub-forums.)

If you haven't had aftermarket rims then it's easy to convince yourself that the stock rims look 'ok' and don't need upgrading. But I had to get a new tire on my front rim so I took a pic of the car with the stock spare on so you could see a before and after.

I also noticed the stock 17" was 'inset" from the fenderwell a lot compared to my HRE which is 'flush' from the side.

First pic:
The After Market rimms look great. Do you void anything in your Lexus 5 year or extended warranties when you put on after market rimms?