GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How to remove crank pulley on a GS400 without the special tool

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-17, 03:09 PM
rorfan24
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post How to remove crank pulley on a GS400 without the special tool

I decided to make this post because the community as been very helpful to me about most of the stuff covering my GS so i wanted to give you a quick tip on something I never actually heard about on forums. When I was doing my timing belt/water pump/oil pan gasket/ job, I had to remove the crank pulley. I tried many things such as removing the radiator to fit a bigger impact gun, but that damn thing refused to come off. I also didn't want to pay 60$ for a tool that I'll probably never use again. My father suggested that we should find a way to block the whole engine from turning so that we could remove the bolt with a wrench. So we did. Between the engine and transmission lies what is called the flywheel. This is connected to your engine, so preventing it from turning does the same thing to your engine. To do so, jack the car, get underneath and locate it (first picture). You'll see a little "door" held in place by two bolts. Remove these and pull the door out. now, with some light, you should be able to see a part of the flywheel through the little hole left by the door. Get back to the front of your engine and turn the crank pulley until you see a small 10mm bolt appearing on the flywheel. Use a pry bar to block it. Voila! Now your engine won't turn. Simply use a big wrench to unbolt it and use a puller to get the pulley out. Comment if you have any questions.
Attached Thumbnails How to remove crank pulley on a GS400 without the special tool-potre-cercle.jpg   How to remove crank pulley on a GS400 without the special tool-2-bolts-porte.jpg   How to remove crank pulley on a GS400 without the special tool-bolt.jpg   How to remove crank pulley on a GS400 without the special tool-pry-bvar.jpg   How to remove crank pulley on a GS400 without the special tool-17619192_654087208126117_15967423_n.jpg  

Old 03-29-17, 08:56 PM
Sportsfan2
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you are over complicating things.
use a breaker bar, pin the breaker bar to the ground(or frame , depends on the breaker bar length), in a way that when you turn the car starter, it will easily loosen the crank bolt, easy, starter has amazing power!!!

Originally Posted by rorfan24
I decided to make this post because the community as been very helpful to me about most of the stuff covering my GS so i wanted to give you a quick tip on something I never actually heard about on forums. When I was doing my timing belt/water pump/oil pan gasket/ job, I had to remove the crank pulley. I tried many things such as removing the radiator to fit a bigger impact gun, but that damn thing refused to come off. I also didn't want to pay 60$ for a tool that I'll probably never use again. My father suggested that we should find a way to block the whole engine from turning so that we could remove the bolt with a wrench. So we did. Between the engine and transmission lies what is called the flywheel. This is connected to your engine, so preventing it from turning does the same thing to your engine. To do so, jack the car, get underneath and locate it (first picture). You'll see a little "door" held in place by two bolts. Remove these and pull the door out. now, with some light, you should be able to see a part of the flywheel through the little hole left by the door. Get back to the front of your engine and turn the crank pulley until you see a small 10mm bolt appearing on the flywheel. Use a pry bar to block it. Voila! Now your engine won't turn. Simply use a big wrench to unbolt it and use a puller to get the pulley out. Comment if you have any questions.
Old 03-30-17, 04:34 AM
rorfan24
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportsfan2
you are over complicating things.
use a breaker bar, pin the breaker bar to the ground(or frame , depends on the breaker bar length), in a way that when you turn the car starter, it will easily loosen the crank bolt, easy, starter has amazing power!!!
Yeah I heard about that one however, I didn't thrust this technic at all since my starter is getting pretty old and that it was never designed to do such things. Plus, his location makes it incredibly long to change!
Old 03-30-17, 07:51 AM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought the special tool for my GS300. Sorry, but I would not do what you are doing. Buy the tool and use it the few times you need it while you own your car and then resell it on eBay.