GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Reducing brake dust by using brake dust covers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-17, 08:17 AM
RRGS
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Reducing brake dust by using brake dust covers?

Hi all,

So all the brake dust my GS is throwing out is driving me crazy, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. If the wheels are clean and I take the car for a spin, it only takes about 5 minutes before the wheels are covered by brake dust again. Our cars are throwing out so much brake dust and I really hate it. I searched for a solution for this, and found out that Lexus makes brake dust covers for the GS. I'm wondering why my car doesn't have this since it's an OEM part, but anyway, I'm looking to buy this part.

The question I've got now is, are these brake dust covers worth it and are they good? I think the covers are gonna solve the brake dust problem, but are the covers gonna hinder the brakes from cooling down? Will it damage the brakes in any way? It shouldn't because it's an OEM part, but still...

These are the part numbers for anyone who wants them as well:
4778130191 (Front Right)
4778230191 (Front Left)

Thanks!
Regards,
RRGS
Old 05-09-17, 11:39 AM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Switch to Akebono ceramic pads and the problem is negligible.
Old 05-09-17, 03:41 PM
mate01
Pole Position

yes, akebonos are great, very minimal dust if any at all.
Old 05-09-17, 05:52 PM
firelizard

Received 450 Likes on 356 Posts

Huh?
These are the factory dust shields that go behind the rotor. If you don't have them, you should as they are meant to be there. I think they also contribute to brake cooling, the way they are designed.
Old 05-09-17, 06:41 PM
mate01
Pole Position

I don't believe I have these dust shields, Can we get some pics of what they look like?
Old 05-09-17, 06:52 PM
firelizard

Received 450 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by mate01
I don't believe I have these dust shields, Can we get some pics of what they look like?

Old 05-09-17, 07:05 PM
mate01
Pole Position

Why doesn't he have these on his 3gs?
Old 05-10-17, 06:43 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by RRGS
Hi all,

So all the brake dust my GS is throwing out is driving me crazy, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. If the wheels are clean and I take the car for a spin, it only takes about 5 minutes before the wheels are covered by brake dust again. Our cars are throwing out so much brake dust and I really hate it. I searched for a solution for this, and found out that Lexus makes brake dust covers for the GS. I'm wondering why my car doesn't have this since it's an OEM part, but anyway, I'm looking to buy this part.

The question I've got now is, are these brake dust covers worth it and are they good? I think the covers are gonna solve the brake dust problem, but are the covers gonna hinder the brakes from cooling down? Will it damage the brakes in any way? It shouldn't because it's an OEM part, but still...

These are the part numbers for anyone who wants them as well:
4778130191 (Front Right)
4778230191 (Front Left)
These part numbers are for the brake dust covers that behind the rotors. They protect it from debris and channel air to cool it as mentioned above. Your car already has these sitting behind the brake rotor out of sight. What you are looking for are THESE (cheesy IMO) aftermarket covers that mount between the wheel and the brake rotor and caliper. The keep the brake dust, and probably the brake heat, from exiting via the wheel spokes.

My advice: take the advice already given above and swap out your brake pads for a high quality, low brake dusting set.

Old 05-10-17, 12:56 PM
RRGS
Rookie

Thank you all for your help. Ok so they are installed behind the brake disc? I was thinking they would slide over the brake disc and calipers to prevent brake dust. I don't want those ugly aftermarket covers. But anyway, those OEM covers are called brake dust covers...but they don't prevent brake dust at all or am I wrong
Old 05-10-17, 02:07 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I imagine they stop brake dust from going into the engine bay and intake system. But brake dust has to go somewhere. You cannot prevent/stop it, but you can either reduce it showing up on your wheels with different friction material (pads) or those awesome covers I posted.

Full face wheels is another option.
Old 05-11-17, 06:36 AM
slaapen
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the cheap pads you have on that's giving all the dust more than usual. When I switched to the akebonos, brake dust has been reduced greatly and car stops on a dime. It's a win/win. Keep stock oem look and parts because that's how Lexus designed them and switch your pads for better ones.
Old 05-11-17, 09:58 AM
RRGS
Rookie

I don't like full face wheels Debonair, I'm really in love with my current wheels! My dad bought the GS with this wheels. But thanks a lot for your help, now I understand the brake dust covers.

Thanks for your response slaapen. I think I'm going to upgrade to those ceramic pads, how do they perform in comparison to the OEM pads? Do I need to get ceramic rotors as well? I currently have OEM rotors but they are like new.
Old 05-11-17, 11:04 AM
slaapen
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RRGS
I don't like full face wheels Debonair, I'm really in love with my current wheels! My dad bought the GS with this wheels. But thanks a lot for your help, now I understand the brake dust covers.

Thanks for your response slaapen. I think I'm going to upgrade to those ceramic pads, how do they perform in comparison to the OEM pads? Do I need to get ceramic rotors as well? I currently have OEM rotors but they are like new.
Akebonos are OEM with better design and dissipates heat and the materials(dust) a lot better. I have the OEM rotors on my GS and since they were smooth, I just changed the pads and my car brakes on point. I've recently washed my car with a pressure washer and pressure washed my stock wheels and brake dust on the wheels have reduced to a minimum. Wheels still look fresher after constant braking over the past week.
Old 05-11-17, 12:44 PM
RRGS
Rookie

Thank you very much! I'm going to order the front and rear ceramic brake pads.
Old 05-11-17, 02:43 PM
mate01
Pole Position

Get those akebonos man, they are really good quality pads!