GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Has anyone considered putting nitrous on there car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-01, 05:39 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just wondering if any of you were running nitrous oxide on your cars. I was looking into to doing it, but I was concerned with the motor and its longevity. I had nitrous on my C5, but it was completely different I think, where it was a sports car and not a luxury car. Let me know how you guys feel about this. I was planning on a shot of like 50-100 hp, but I heard our stock fuel injectors can only quench about 400 hp.

This would be a more cost effective alternative to a blower.
Old 03-24-01, 06:36 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Waiting On Venom

Mike - I know Nitrous Express has a kit ( wet ) but have been in contact with Venom about their computer software managed kit. Haven't heard from them in a few weeks so I'll call again Monday. Yep, the stock injectors can only support 400 flywheel HP at 100% duty cycle so there IS room for a small 25-50 HP shot ( depending on what other mods U have ). I had NOS on my Lingenfelter 'Vette as well and loved the "on demand only " power increase. As we have a $15k engine, I'd feel better with the Venom kit since it seems to be the safest available ( when it becomes so! ). I'll let everyone know when Venom contacts me.
Old 03-24-01, 06:59 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds wonderful! I had a 150-200 shot on my C5, but with no internal upgrades. I ran great on the 150, but I ended up blowing up the motor after 2 weeks with the 200 shot. It was a Gen-X kit by NX. I am very interested, so let me know. What type of pistons do our motors have stock? The vettes were hyperutectic, I may have spelled that wrong. 400 at the flywheel? Sweet!!! Might consider a 75 shot?
Old 03-24-01, 08:24 PM
mindflux
Pole Position

Mean Gene I have been waiting for that Venom answer for while. Ever since you told me that you were contacting them when clublexus was the "other" clublexus. Been a while!

There are a few folks running NOS in the SC400s which is the same engine. Visit the sc400 forum and search.

Regards,

Mind
Old 03-25-01, 08:28 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Cool Nitrous

Mind - It may be the same engine but I think the fuel management system is different? Spoke with a NOS company tech & he said the GS4 wasn't a priority because of the limited number sold & interest. At least Venom is working on one & the NX kit is available now - another member has used NX before & says it's good stuff. I'm still gonna wait on Venom from a safety standpoint but you're right about it being awhile because we did start this thread on the old site, didn't we?! I spoke with Greg ( at Venom ) 3 weeks ago but will see if i can light a fire under his butt Monday!!
Mike - If U have no other engine mods, then a 75 HP shot would be the max I'd go & still feel good about longevity - 400 HP is with 100% injector efficiency so if U have only laying down on ya, may have problems. Not sure about the engine internals but figure the pistons to be of a decent cast variety. I ran a 125 shot kit on a bone stock '87 'Vette for 2 years with no problems & then stepped up to a 200 shot with the LPE 406 engine - of course, it had forged Manley rods/pistons & 4 bolt mains. Just gotta be careful & not overdue the squeeze but I guess U found that out the hard ( & expensive! ) way. Sorry to hear that.
Old 03-25-01, 11:18 AM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Mean Gene, the best thing about nitrous oxide or the NX kit was that you could always take it off and go to the dealership if you had any problems. One of my cousins was a service writer at a chevy dealership and the manager also knew me from my frequent visits, so they said they could warranty it for me. I had about 41K miles at the time, so my stock warranty was expired, so they allowed me to buy the extended warranty! They told to me to bring back the car in like 3 months, so I did and the replaced it, but I had to pay one of the mechanics some cash because the GMPP warranty did not pay the same as the regular warranty.

Problem with nitrous:

Can't get greedy!
Old 03-26-01, 06:06 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Mean Gene- I just looked through NX's new products. They sell a nitrous controller now. It looks very good! The cost of it is 599 and the Gen-X kit is like 800. I think I am going to go with this set-up this summer. My friend said he has been hearing some bad thigs about the Venow unit. Check www.ls1.com or www.camaroz28.com. It might be possible to run a 100 shot on top end with the programmer? That way it isn't an instant 100 shot on the motor, but a graduall one.
Old 03-27-01, 01:31 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

MG, as you are aware there are several TYPES of nitrous systems. Wet systems that add both nitrous and fuel. Dry systems that add only nitrous. Dry systems either raise the stock fuel pressure to supply additional fuel or flow nitrous through the MAF and allow the ECU to increase injector duration. Obviously if we are concerned about stock injector capacity we must be using the last example above. I have been told by the LS1 crowd that this works very well. I must admit it makes me nervous as hell. In addition to wet and dry there are single point and multi point injection systems. As the name suggests, single point adds the nitrous(and fuel for wet) at a single point and HOPES the manifold will distribute the charge equally. This is a very big HOPE because modern manifolds are designed to flow air ONLY. NOS has a system for the Mustang (big shot) that had a plate that went between the upper and lower manifold nitrous and fuel orifices in each runner. This makes for an equally distributed charge that the lower intake can flow without difficulty. This may be a good solution for our cars. This would take the stock injector concern and distribution concern away.
Old 03-28-01, 06:18 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Cool Nitrous & Injectors

JB - Venom tells me that their software will do exactly what U say - increase the pulse duration of the fuel injectors. I don't have alot of experience with dry systems but are very familiar with multi-point injection & dual stage systems. I had the former on my 'Vette & it looked awesome to see stainless lines plumbed into each intake runner ( Lingenfelter TPI & a NOS kit )! A buddy has the dual stage kit on his drag car & it also works well. I'd love to get serious about running squeeze because then I'd just tap the GS intake for the nitrous lines like the 'Vette. Even NOS told me that their kit would be like the LT1 style since it doesn't have a return fuel line so maybe that's the way to go? Getting tired of waiting on Venom - called them Monday & still haven't heard of a release date. I'll probably use Mike's suggestion of the NX kit since it's been out for awhile.
Mike - I'd be afraid to dump an additional 100hp fuel demand at top end where the injectors are already close to maxed out. Gradual injection would be the way to go as U wouldn't blow your traction away like U would if U suddenly hit the tires with an additional 50-75 hp at once. BTW - the last price NX gave me on their GS kit was $599 but that didn't include that new controller.
Old 03-28-01, 07:20 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

MG,

It was geedy talking about the 100 shot...hehe. I just looked at one of my catalogs that sells NX products and the GEN-X kit, which includes the warmer, fuel cut swtich, etc for like 800 dollars. Are you sure for 600 it includes the warmer, etc.? The computer programmer looked very nice, but I think it cost like 600 in itself. Let me know what you think?
Old 03-28-01, 07:51 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Default Just a Basic Kit

Mike - U R correct - for $599, U get just a basic kit with a 10# bottle, lines, switches & solenoids. The bottle warmer is an extra-cost option, as is that programmer U spoke of. The $800 package might be the better deal but I've never used a bottle warmer & aren't sure it's worth it, especially if ya keep the bottle full most of the time. let me know which way U go & I'll keep hounding Venom - just to be a pest. BTW - what problems did your friends say they heard about the Venom kits?
Old 03-28-01, 08:06 PM
bmm89
Driver School Candidate

Gene, you may also want to look into the Nitrous Mastermind unit from Jacobs Electronics, i have heard it works wonders with nos. Gradually increases flow and has build in safety measures. Also, the nx kit should cost no more than $500 after shipping. The 599.00 is retail price!
Old 03-28-01, 08:54 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Default Thanks, bmm!!

Thanks! I'd forgotten all about Dr. Jacobs stuff. I've used his AccuVolt step-up voltage regulators before & just went blank about the MasterMind nitrous controller!! About that $599 price - I got that figure from NX directly ( don't think they sell direct to the customer? ) but they did give me the name of some dealers close to me - just never called them as I've been waiting on Venom ( can't even get a price from them yet!! ). Somebody take my money!!
Old 03-28-01, 09:32 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Guys, my comment on the manifold only flowing air was aimed at BOTH fuel and nitrous distribution. 100hp of injector capacity means the MAX each injector can flow is 12.5hp more fuel than stock. If the manifold flows 8hp of nitrous to one cylinder and 15hp to another that cylinder is LEAN, not a good nitrous situation. My suggestion of fabbing a multipoint system stands along with the fact that you are not asking the injectors to flow any more fuel.
Old 03-29-01, 03:12 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Mean Gene, the bottle warmer is essential because it keeps the bottle between 900-1000psi, which will yeild the greatest power results...it is a must with the nx kit, i think...like jbrady said, with this kit you do not have worry about injector duty cycle, just fuel pressure! makes sure the fuel pump is big enough and I am sure the car can take like a 150 hit, but the internals probably can't handle it...You would have to worry about the duty cycle if you ran a dry nos kit, then the extra "air" would have to be compensated by the injectors...

I plan on going with the GEN-X Kit which includes everything, then maybe the programmer...If it goes through, I will have it on during the summer...

I am still debating on whether or not I should do it because I am ordering my 20's this month and am worried that it will slow me down drastically from stock...will it?

Quick Reply: Has anyone considered putting nitrous on there car?