GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2UZ throttle body on 1UZ VVTI

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-17, 07:16 PM
Zar
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2UZ throttle body on 1UZ VVTI

I'm in the process of putting together a custom project and have come to a slight roadblock due to space restrictions.

Does anyone have insight as to how feasible it is to run a 2uz throttle body on a 1uz vvti? The 1UZ vvti throttle body is massively wide.

I know this could easily be done if I were to go standalone. That is a route I would not like to go.

Last edited by Zar; 06-07-17 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-07-17, 07:43 PM
GS400V8
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

It might be able to be done, but getting past the physical roadblocks probably won't be as bad as the electrical. Depends how hard you want to work at it.

The GS400 TB throttle cable does not move the butterfly plate directly but it does trigger input to the throttle position sensor which then moves the motor that moves the butterfly plate.

The 2UZFE and 3UZFE are completely lacking the throttle cable so you would have to wire it up electronically, and possibly to the ECU. This means getting the plug connector for it and finding out what parameters and voltage values are needed at what time to do this. You would probably have to put in the 2/3UZFE gas pedal assembly which has a sensor on it as well as that plug connector. Then to figure out how to wire that up while making it work with everything. This means running wires everywhere from inside the cabin to the engine.

You would also have to figure out what to do with the other half of the throttle body that had a wire harness plugged in on the driver side of the TB. You would have this wire harness left over and figure out how to trick the ECU if this causes problems. Still might give problems, and would have to also block off the coolant lines that run through the 1UZ TB or re-route them if the 2UZ has them too. I think there is a different idle control too, so controlling that would be another thing.

The 1UZ and 2/3UZ ECUs are also so different it might not have the right circuitry for what needs to be done

Last edited by GS400V8; 06-07-17 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-07-17, 08:26 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

heres the deal with that big ole' throttle body. the throttle cable is attached directly to it but if a traction event occurs, the throttle body has the ability to override whatever your foot is telling it to do. the way that works is the 1uz throttle body has an accelerator pedal position sensor built into it. and it also has a throttle position sensor built into it. if your feeling frisky youll have to experiment with installing a gs430 accelerator pedal on the floor and run the wires from the previous installed 1uz throttle body down thru the firewall to the newly installed gs430 app pedal. than the signal wires from the app pedal than have to run up to the engine computer than go on to the 2uz throttle body. where it has a throttle motor along with throttle position sensor built into it. I have access to the toyota wiring diagrams that show it clearly. ill take pics than post them tomorrow.
Old 06-09-17, 09:16 PM
eicca
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

The early 2UZ has a throttle body that looks nearly identical to the late 1UZ. It may bolt up, but as GS400V8 said, the biggest hurdles are electrical.
Old 06-09-17, 09:48 PM
GS400V8
Intermediate

Yeah, here is a small glimpse of a GS400 circuit with the TPS and APPS which are both DUAL potentiometers.
Everything is tied into the ECU too. I'm very much in tune with electronics, how they work, engineering, and building analog as well as digital-analog hybrid circuits from scratch. But, this is one project I don't think I would like to try. You would have to wire it up like a GS430.

Old 06-09-17, 10:14 PM
GS400V8
Intermediate

Here's a picture example of what I'm talking about. I drew up how the dual potentiometers would look physically, but the lugs are not labeled in the Toyota diagrams. So what I have written as 1, 2, 3 could be backwards. Also, usually dual potentiometers have the wipers (middle lug, always 2) hooked together, but in these diagrams, they don't which I've never seen before. Then the GS430 sensor on the gas pedal is probably completely different and would have to be hooked up physically as such.

Last edited by GS400V8; 06-09-17 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-10-17, 02:49 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS400V8
It might be able to be done, but getting past the physical roadblocks probably won't be as bad as the electrical. Depends how hard you want to work at it.

The GS400 TB throttle cable does not move the butterfly plate directly but it does trigger input to the throttle position sensor which then moves the motor that moves the butterfly plate.

The 2UZFE and 3UZFE are completely lacking the throttle cable so you would have to wire it up electronically, and possibly to the ECU. This means getting the plug connector for it and finding out what parameters and voltage values are needed at what time to do this. You would probably have to put in the 2/3UZFE gas pedal assembly which has a sensor on it as well as that plug connector. Then to figure out how to wire that up while making it work with everything. This means running wires everywhere from inside the cabin to the engine.

You would also have to figure out what to do with the other half of the throttle body that had a wire harness plugged in on the driver side of the TB. You would have this wire harness left over and figure out how to trick the ECU if this causes problems. Still might give problems, and would have to also block off the coolant lines that run through the 1UZ TB or re-route them if the 2UZ has them too. I think there is a different idle control too, so controlling that would be another thing.

The 1UZ and 2/3UZ ECUs are also so different it might not have the right circuitry for what needs to be done
my bad man, i didnt see the post you already put up that was very thorough and hit the nail on the head. I do feel that it is workable though. basically your taking the accelerator pedal position sensor and putting it with the gas pedal. just basically running some wiring. id be interested to see it work.
Old 06-10-17, 11:26 PM
GS400V8
Intermediate

Your good bro, thanks. it's funny how similar that post was especially if you never saw mine first
The complications grow though. Here's a pic below of the throttle body motor diagram which is on the passenger side of the TB.
So for the 1UZ TB we have: APPS (4 wires), TPS (4 wires), and TCM (Throttle Control Motor, 4 wires) Every sensor runs to the ECU.
The 3UZ TB has: 2 wire sensor, and 4 wire sensor. The APPS is now inside the cabin, on the gas pedal assembly. (Part # - 7801030030)
The 3UZ wire numbers are strictly from pictures.

So right off the bat we have 12 wires on the 1UZ and 12 wires on the 3UZ. That surprisingly checks out.
The first problem would be how to split up the wires: deciding which wires now go to the APPS relocated to the gas pedal. All 4 of the old APPS plus which 2 wires and Which are run to the ECU. There is also a chance the throttle motor is calibrated differently for the 3UZ ECU

Last edited by GS400V8; 06-11-17 at 01:43 AM.
Old 06-11-17, 05:30 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Whoa! somethings up. my 3uz throttle control motor only has two wires going to it. they are on a separate connector from the tps sensor. the tps sensor has 4 wires though.
Old 06-11-17, 07:36 PM
GS400V8
Intermediate

Okay now this is confirmed that on the 3uzfe: the 2 wire is the throttle control motor, and the tps has 4 wires. I believe the APPS to have 6 from pics

Last edited by GS400V8; 06-13-17 at 12:19 AM.