GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

new H&R spacers

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-03, 09:24 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default new H&R spacers

after getting sick of how bad my rear wheels sick into the fenders I decided to get some H&R 25mm spacers for the rear wheels. Thanks to Dex, LXOGOOD, Pete (PHML), and other fellow CL bros for helping out. I got them 2 days after ordering

Installation was simple: take wheels off, apply spacer over stock studs, use supplied nuts to secure the spacers, then put the wheels on the spacers (they come with own studs). Everything needed included.

After I got them installed I went for testdrive. Adjusted my rear view mirrors so I can see both of my rear wheels, and I noticed that both of them are wobbling VERY BAD After some careful inspection with my brother, I realized that something's rubbing, like the spacers are rubbing with the stock stud piece.

Went back to the shop and took them off. DOH, didn't clean the stock studs and its surroundings before applying the spacers, and had to clean it. After sanding the rust and got brake cleaners sprayed on, spacers went back on. They're great now, no wobbling.

here's the before pic.
Attached Thumbnails new H&R spacers-zbig-before-pic.jpg  
Old 06-10-03, 09:28 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

now couldn't be happier with these!

What a difference. First the fender gap was eliminated completely. I worried that 25mm wasn't going to be enough (no other choice) but it turned out to be perfect. No rubbing the tires even with hard cornering (thanks to not-so-low L-Tuned suspension).

It definitely feels different. I feel that the rear of the car is wider now, more secure than before. I can take corners faster than usual without feeling hesitant. I sense less floating but that could be illusional.

Definately suggest these to people who feel that the rear tires are sinking in too much. I have 245 tires in the back but due to offset problems they're sinked in like stock. If you are not ready for new wheels but wanna get the wider look, get these.

I might get a pair of 15mms for the front also.

here is after pic.
Attached Thumbnails new H&R spacers-zbig-after-pic.jpg  
Old 06-11-03, 12:34 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice before and after pics for comparison. these never seem to disappoint
Old 06-11-03, 05:02 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're welcome Globe! Excellent - everything looks great!

Do some research on the fronts though - I remember reading about some funny handling characteristics when installing on the fronts.

Last edited by ///MDex; 06-11-03 at 05:02 AM.
Old 06-11-03, 11:55 AM
kapdori
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey globe,
where did you get the spacers? I need a set.
thanks
Old 06-11-03, 01:36 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As a long term review on these spacers....I have had these on for about 5k miles now. No problems so far ....very happy with how these look on the car.

Is it me or does the car feel like it tracks a little better

This is a must mod for people with the OEM rims.
Old 06-11-03, 01:48 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by DrewGS4
Is it me or does the car feel like it tracks a little better

This is a must mod for people with the OEM rims.
The car absolutely tacks better. I had them on when I went to the CL SpringFling in the mountains, and I gave them a great workout. Its tougher to break the back end loose, even with the OEM 17s, which is good in the mountains chasing a modified NSX
Old 06-11-03, 01:49 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

I just did the exact same mod last week https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=85717

This is how the car should look stock. But I guess Lexus deliberately makes the wheels stick in so much so that we can put on a very wide rim on the hub................... (that's my positive spin on that guys )

You can buy the spacers from here
www.optauto.com

Last edited by Hameed; 06-11-03 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-11-03, 02:27 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

kapdori:

got them from Option Auto Salon. very fast ordering process as well as shipping.

yah definitely a must-have for OEM wheels people.
Old 06-11-03, 08:26 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Thumbs up

Nice job. The car looks much better with the spacers.

Can anyone tell me what spacer i need for my rear wheels, they are 18x8.5 with +40 offset? Do i need 15,20, or 25 mm? I cant decide which one to get.
Old 06-12-03, 03:03 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

GlobeCLK -

Looks great.

One question: Did the installers hand-torque the bolts ( to stock studs)? How many lbs./inch? Did they do that when mounting the wheels to the spacer studs?

Pete
Old 06-12-03, 04:49 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My installer hand torqued them, but I have no idea what the setting was? Maybe someone else know what the desired setting is.
Old 06-12-03, 05:11 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by PHML
One question: Did the installers hand-torque the bolts ( to stock studs)? How many lbs./inch? Did they do that when mounting the wheels to the spacer studs?
Not sure of the torque spec for the securing the spacer to the hub, but the spec used for mounting the wheel to the spacer is factory - 88lbs.

Last edited by ///MDex; 06-12-03 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-12-03, 10:58 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dex,

Mounting the spacer to the hub is the same 88 lbs.

Globe,

The 15mm front spacers are alot more work. You have to press in longer extention threaded bolts that come along with the spacers. Way back when I bought a set but wasn't worth the effort so I returned them. I also heard from a few CL members about them not being all to safe.. Anyways just a heads up..

If anyone is looking for a set of 25mm H&R spacers for their LS, GS or SC please PM me as I have a set that I am no longer using and maybe I can save you some money.. I'll put a post up in the classifieds a bit later..
Old 06-12-03, 02:18 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by PHML
GlobeCLK -

Looks great.

Thanks The installation is what 2Savvy and Dex mentioned.

Originally posted by 2SAVVY

Globe,

The 15mm front spacers are alot more work. You have to press in longer extention threaded bolts that come along with the spacers. Way back when I bought a set but wasn't worth the effort so I returned them. I also heard from a few CL members about them not being all to safe.. Anyways just a heads up..

If anyone is looking for a set of 25mm H&R spacers for their LS, GS or SC please PM me as I have a set that I am no longer using and maybe I can save you some money.. I'll put a post up in the classifieds a bit later..
thanks for the heads up. Looks like i'll scratch that for now. Better get kit first

I didn't know you have a set for sale. Could've helped u out and save myself some money

Quick Reply: new H&R spacers