GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Ltuned sides and what rear bumper??

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-03, 10:31 PM
GSTRANCE
GS -Trance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ltuned sides and what rear bumper??

Does anyone have any pics of a 2nd gen. GS with L-tuned side skirts and an aftermarket rear bumper(Explosion,L-sportline,RMM, etc.....)?? I have the sideskirts and am in need of a rear bumper since there is no Ltuned one to go with the sides.Any help would be greatly appreciated.....
Old 06-11-03, 06:01 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Very good question. I personally might go with an L-sportline at some point... IMO I think it will be a good match for the subtle L-tuned side skirts (but less certain of how it will 'line-up' like you). EDIT - looking in the gallery, I guess you're thinking the same thing .

I'm going to start off with the Tom's Racing VA300 rear bumper valence insert that Steve Ganz recently found to see how that looks. It's only for the rear, not rear/sides, though. Will post pics once I get it on the car.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-11-03 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-11-03, 06:32 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the rear valance just a insert on the OEM bumper? Or is this a separate bumper. Does it extend the rear bumper down further. Any pictures of what this looks like?
Old 06-11-03, 06:40 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by DrewGS4
Is the rear valance just a insert on the OEM bumper? Or is this a separate bumper. Does it extend the rear bumper down further. Any pictures of what this looks like?
This is just a bolt on piece lie the TTE lip.

See it here in this thread

Old 06-11-03, 09:10 AM
FutureGSorIS
Lead Lap

Originally posted by DrewGS4
Here is what it looks like when installed:
Attached Thumbnails Ltuned sides and what rear bumper??-va-muf.jpg  
Old 06-11-03, 09:17 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by FutureGSorIS
Here is what it looks like when installed:
Must...have....more....pics......
Old 06-11-03, 09:26 AM
FutureGSorIS
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Dex
Must...have....more....pics......
Ask and you shall receive
Attached Thumbnails Ltuned sides and what rear bumper??-va-rear.jpg  
Old 06-11-03, 09:35 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Ah ha Where are you getting these?
Old 06-11-03, 09:39 AM
FutureGSorIS
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Dex
Ah ha Where are you getting these?
I have done a lot of research on certain Tom's parts before I purchased them and these are a few pics I had where you see the bumper insert well.
Old 06-11-03, 10:38 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry. Maybe I just don't see it that well but what does this really do for the bumper. I am in the same predicament as all the guys with L-Tuned sides.
Old 06-11-03, 12:52 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Make that another person looking for a rear bumper to go with L-Tuned sides.

-Anthony
Old 06-11-03, 12:58 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

I like it (ordered one)... just makes the stock rear a 'little different'. Here's another picture I found, assume it's the same piece.

GSTRANCE - sorry to hijack your thread!

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-11-03 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-11-03, 01:10 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally posted by DaveGS4
I like it (ordered one)... just makes the stock rear a 'little different'. Here's another picture I found, assume it's the same piece.
Is it just me or does that piece not really do anything for the rear bumper? I think we are all referring to how the car looks from the side where the bottom of the side skirts just before the rear wheel is a couple of inches lower than the bottom of the rear bumber where it starts right behind the rear wheel..............................??
Old 06-11-03, 01:20 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

You're right about not changing the sides, but a replacement aftermarket rear bumper impacts both the side and the rear. The biggest concern is lining up the side of the rear bumper with the side skirts (the original point of this post before I hijacked it, sorry again).

I think the L-tuned sides look pretty good without an aftermarket rear bumper and IMO certainly doesn't look out of place with the stock rear bumper. The little pre-painted Tom's add-on piece above just dresses up the back portion a little, addressing 1/2 the equation.

I'm not sure that I want to do a full rear bumper because that would also likely mean changing exhaust, getting it painted, etc, so this is a nice small interim step for me. I hope GSTrance puts one on so I can see what one will look like on a black GS to help me make up my mind .

I have not seen a single GS with L-tuned sides and an aftermarket rear bumper here on CL.... I was the only person on here with them for quite some time and have kept my eye out as a potential future mod.... Looking forward to seeing what all you guys are going to do for the back!

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-11-03 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-11-03, 10:54 PM
GSTRANCE
GS -Trance

judging from this photoshop of Wei's(?) GS the Lsportline rear looks awesome IMO with the Ltuned sides.

Dave I jacked these sideskirts off of a pic of your car and did my damndest to position them and size them so that they fit the same exact area on this GS as it did on yours.The body line and angle matched up perfectly so this is the rear i am leaning towards.But I am not gonna take the chance of relying on a photoshop to make my desicion, it could turn out to be a $600 mistake if they dont line up right.

I dunno what do you guys thing of this combo? Am I gonna have to be the guinea pig?
Attached Thumbnails Ltuned sides and what rear bumper??-ltuned-sides-lsportrearlow.jpg  

Quick Reply: Ltuned sides and what rear bumper??