GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I hit a truck tire blowout on the highway at about 65 mph! Ouch!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-03, 04:45 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about the unfortunate incident. Good thing you are ok. Good luck with everything.

Bryan
Old 06-15-03, 05:02 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

dam manny, at least u'r ok, it could have been worse. u could have had the greddy lip on b4 u sold it. it looks like a $2000.00 or more job mayb let insuranmce take care of it.
Old 06-15-03, 07:00 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh man, that's really sucks. Your car is so beautiful... That damage does looks like a $2000 job at least. I mean, just to replace the fogs is going to cost you a few hundred dollars. I would just file a claim with the insurance. If your insurance goes up, I would argue with them on this. They might be more understanding about this situation since outside factors were involved which you had no control over. Good luck....
Old 06-15-03, 07:09 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

i hit a huge racoon and the bottom of my raidator got pushed in just like yours... i went to a friend's shop and he said you can pull it out... so i took of my fender messed around with a hammer, wood chipper, and plyers ... after a good few hours got that sucker out to normal but you see i didnt rush to my friend's shop i just left it there for about a week, it already started to rust.. so all i did was rub some CLR on it (you could use any other rust removing compound) then went to a local auto parts (i.e. autozone) and bought high heat temp paint and painted over the dented part.

The over all project was fairly easy.. just got to take alot of time and effort to pull the dent out.
Old 06-15-03, 07:11 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

oops let me correct my self my raidator wasnt pushed back only that lower beam that runs on the bottom..
Old 06-16-03, 06:37 AM
apatel
Pole Position

Damn that sucks. Hope everything works out.
Old 06-16-03, 08:28 AM
ATLgs4
Driver

i hit a tire in the road last year. didnt do near as much damage. i went to my insurance agent and he told me that if i hit the tire in the road, i would owe my deductable. however, if the tire flew into me, my deductable would be waived (similar to a rock chip in the windshield). im not sure of all the technicalities, but of course i said that the tire hit me. anybody know what the rules are??
Old 06-16-03, 04:14 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by ATLgs4
i hit a tire in the road last year. didnt do near as much damage. i went to my insurance agent and he told me that if i hit the tire in the road, i would owe my deductable. however, if the tire flew into me, my deductable would be waived (similar to a rock chip in the windshield). im not sure of all the technicalities, but of course i said that the tire hit me. anybody know what the rules are??
I think the tire was moving........it was dark, i couldn't really tell??
Old 06-16-03, 08:24 PM
FaceUT
Pole Position

About 6 months ago, I was nailed by 1/2 of an 18 wheeler brake drum in my 95 Camry. Chunk of metal must have weighed about 45lbs and was jagged. Impact was very similar to what you described. Knocked me in the air about a foot at 70 mph and split and locked the wheel to the lower arm. Left a hell of a flat spot on tire! I had similar damage to yours on my lower rocker panel. Wound up costing my insurance company about $2500 on a comprehensive claim. About $1000 in body work, $1000 in suspension parts and $500 in labor. (And this was on a Camry!) On the advice of a good suspension man wound up replacing almost everything under the side of the impact including: steering knuckle, lower arm, ball joint, strut, hub, and wheel bearing. Get a good 4 wheel alignment and be sure everything can be brought into spec. IF not, you likely sustained supension damage. My suspension guy advised that the insurance company hates to pay for a new wheel bearing, but that problems are predictable if a serious impact occurred. Upon disassembly his assessment of the damages was right on the money.

As I have 5 cars and my homeowners with these guys, they decided to handle it as a comprehenisve claim. From my understanding, only flying debris qualifies as a "true" comprehensive claim. Even the claims guy said normally any road debris is considered collision.

Good luck with the repairs! Mine came out great, but I would have hated to have paid out of pocket. Like you, I had ZERO reaction time as the vehicle in front of me nailed the debris as well and threw it into my path. Remember though, unless airborne - they will charge your collision coverage.
Old 06-16-03, 09:37 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That really sucks. And the worst part is probably going to be dealing with your insurance company. I hope there is nothing more damaged than is visible in the pics. But the bottom line is you came out ok and thats really all that matters. Good luck with the repairs and I hope your GS turns out as good as new
Old 06-16-03, 10:01 PM
92 sc three
Pole Position

If you do file the claim with your insurance company, let them know the debris (tire tread)was kicked up from another car and bounced / slid into your lane. This way it will be counted as a comprehesive type loss vs. a collision loss (hitting a stationary object)and you should be coded as fault free. Good luck
Old 06-16-03, 11:32 PM
Packet88
Rookie

Default all good in the hood

Manuel,

As long as you're not hurt....nothing else matters...
Old 06-17-03, 12:17 AM
yellowis5spd
Driver School Candidate

Definately claim looks over $2000 in cost easy.

Comprehensive -struck by Flying/falling object. insist that it tire was kicked up and you hit it in mid air and it roll under the car.

Collision - hitting an object on the road ( moving or not moving.)

Collision claim will increase your renew rate.

anyways even if it end up at collision claim assuming you have 500 deductable. Insurance company couldn't jack up your rate $1500 next year. most likely $200-300 hundread a year hike.

Also think about all the years you paid for insurance. It is time for them to take care of your car.
Old 06-17-03, 06:49 AM
Yankees Diva
Lexus Test Driver

manny im glad your okay..... that matters first i know i woulda been scared *****less if my car lifted off the ground. and ur poor car..... get an estimate on the damages then deside to report it if its worth ur while or not. thats probably ur best bet. sorry to hear this

~ Stella
Old 06-17-03, 04:00 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Estimate came to about $4700 damage without any type of suspension parts.
This includes new bumper cover, new fog lights, new side skirt, new fender plastic molding, new AC condenser, freon for the AC condenser, new radiator, new lower radiator mount, installation, and paint.

It has of course been reported. I'll have them check out everything real good and check the alignment. It will be fixed properly regardless of whether insurance rises or not.

Manuel

Quick Reply: I hit a truck tire blowout on the highway at about 65 mph! Ouch!