GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need info about front windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-03, 07:17 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need info about front windshield

A truck threw a rock up at our GS4 this morning while my wife was driving it, and cracked the glass in the driver's view. Insurance is paying for it totally, with an installer coming by the house tomorrow.
I did a search on this, but I was unable to find out a couple specifics;

Is the antenna contained within the front glass?

Is the glass special in any other way that would be important? I have read where it's a couple to 300 bucks from an auto glass installer, but about $1000 from the dealer. Does that price discrepency simply reflect markup?

I'm assuming Allstate will have to give me oem quality ( I will demand it-but I need to know what that is exactly) on this, but I hate to assume.

Thanks for any advice. Dan H
Old 06-18-03, 07:43 AM
pass427
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yep i think the antenna is built into the glass,had mine change recently and he used OEM and it had the antenna in the glass. Be care and make sure its installed properly
Old 06-18-03, 09:09 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Need info about front windshield

Originally posted by Guitarman
Is the antenna contained within the front glass?
On my 98 it is not. It is in the rear window.

Originally posted by Guitarman
Is the glass special in any other way that would be important? I have read where it's a couple to 300 bucks from an auto glass installer, but about $1000 from the dealer. Does that price discrepency simply reflect markup?
The OEM glass is water repellant (no smart remarks please). The water beads on it like it has rain-x on it. Most replacement windshields are not this type of glass.

Is that why the dealer's price is +$700? I dunno, but I bet the replacement is not the same as OEM.

HTH

Last edited by ///MDex; 06-18-03 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-18-03, 10:11 AM
Guitarman

Thanks guys.
Old 06-18-03, 11:37 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got an OEM Lexus windshield installed a few months ago on my 98 GS3 and there was no antenna built in. Went in like a normal windshield. Radio still works.

BTW, when I had it done, the bodyshop said that to ask to get OEM (not OEM quality). They usually will not do it because of cost. You just have to (strongly) ask. If the adjuster won't do it, your agent might be able to change it. It never got that far as the agent for me since the adjuster did it for me. I know I got OEM since the bodyshop ordered directly from Lexus and my windshield is the only glass on my car that says Lexus instead of Toyota.

Last edited by Neo; 06-18-03 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-18-03, 12:11 PM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Sorry about your windshield

Correct me if I'm wrong,

I heard that in the state of FL (as where you live!), Florida DOT will pay for windshield if it gets cracked.
?????
Old 06-18-03, 12:55 PM
Guitarman

That is a new on on me, never heard that. I do know Florida state law requires insurance to pay 100% for replacement with no deductible IF the crack/damage is within the wipers' coverage of the glass, which applies in our case.

The only thing in the back of my mind is if Allstate will somehow try and use this as a reason to raise our rates (which just went up prior to this anyway-without a single claim from us in 13 years). That would suck .

Thanks for all the info folks.
Old 06-18-03, 02:09 PM
mdw131
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 99 GS a rock cracked my windshield up in North Florida on I-75 and my insurance covered the cost of glass replacement. If I remember it was 480 for OEM glass, except it had the glass makers name on it instead of Toyota or Lexus.

Dex, there is no way the factory glass has a rain-x type surface because when I rain-x my windshield the difference is like night and day. Also as part of my like 30,000 mile service on the 99 some sort of rain-x was one of the item done and it was definitely noticeable and I definitely noticed a difference a few weeks later when it wore off....
Old 06-18-03, 02:53 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought only the recent models had the rain repellant on the side glasses only. I read something about not being able to use the coating on the front windshield because of the exposure to rock chips and other road hazards that will affect a permanent type coating.

I also wonder whether "OEM original" or "OEM like"glass has the same thickness, for durability and quietness. I understand the installer has a lot to do with the quality of the product, including proper sealing for waterproofing and sound proofing. Maybe just go ask the dealer.

Art
Old 06-18-03, 04:08 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

I had my windshield replaced about 6 months ago and I demanded OEM since my insurance said that they would cover it. They ordered it directly from my dealership and it said Lexus right on it, I'd be a little concerned if someone said it was OEM and neither Toyota or Lexus was nowhere on the glass.. Also make sure that they properly reinstall the rearview mirror, mine was missing the piece that covers the base to hide the screws so they had to order a new one, which I only noticed when I used the mirror.
Old 06-18-03, 08:46 PM
Fa-suto
Pole Position

On my old GS300 when I had the windshield replace I called the dealership to find out who they use. If your insurance is flexible I would use the same installer that your local dealership uses because they will be using the Toyota or Lexus OEM parts.

Fa-suto
Old 06-19-03, 08:30 AM
mdw131
Lead Lap

I dont know what to say....The glass was identical to the one removed and it came with the rearview attachment...Not important any more because the lease expired and I got a new GS!
Old 06-19-03, 11:20 AM
Alewifebp
Driver

I thought that all 99 and above GS's had rain repellant windshields, and all 2001 and up had rain repellant front side windows as well. I've never applied Rain-X to my 2000 GS3, and it has never needed it.

In this case, I would demand the OEM windshield just for the rain repellant properties.
Old 06-19-03, 12:51 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

I know for a fact my 98 GS4 that I had and my 01 GS430 did/do NOT have a rain repellent windshield. My 01 however has rain repellent front door glass. I've had to apply Rain-X on both cars to get the water to roll off the windshield like any other car. The front door glass is different however as stated by Lexus in their brochure and on their website.
Old 06-30-06, 11:27 PM
racrx
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Windshield Standards ,is Lexus better?

All windshield must meet or exceed safety standards. I have heard a few diferent stories about Lexus and the glass used. Does anyone know for certain if the windshields Lexus uses really exceed the standards set and the quality of the glass is anything more than the Lexus Logo printed on the windshield?

Quick Reply: Need info about front windshield