GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My first round of mods for my 99 GS4!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-03, 02:32 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up My first round of mods for my 99 GS4!

I just ordered:
Tom's front strut tower brace
Tom's rear strut tower brace
Tom's front lower chassis brace
Tom's rear lower chassis brace
Tom's 6-piece suspension brace kit

(I also ordered 5 of those xxxxx-20004 lexus oil filters while I was at it)

Anyhow... once the stuff gets here, do you think I should put it on all at once or do piece-by-piece and see what difference I can tell after each one?

Can anyone suggest any testing methods so I can report back to you guys? Or is it just going to have to be my subjective feel?
Old 06-18-03, 02:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

of course it's the best if you can put them on one by one and tell us the difference. but not sure if you can stand the tease?

and damn, you need sways too
Old 06-18-03, 04:37 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

piece by piece would b cool but i would understand if u didn't.
Old 06-18-03, 04:50 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless you are installing them yourself (some pieces are more involved than others), it will be more costly to do it piece meal also. Like rominl said, you can stagger the install and give CL feedback. You will get the most impact, however, by doing the install of the complete system. It was designed as a system and you can see what the difference between a stock GS and a "Tom's" GS is.

Either way, you'll love it. I am particularly interested in the cornering ability with this system. I have most of the pieces but I also have the TRD sways. I am curious about what this system adds without the sways.

Good luck.
Old 06-19-03, 06:54 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What about TRD sways.....sways are a must for improved handling
Old 06-19-03, 07:43 AM
chaskim
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All or one by one

Threxx

First let me say that you did a great job in ordering. I went through the same problem all or one by one, but like DrewGS4, Neo, and rominl stated I think you should get the TRD sway bars. The Toms kit will make it feel alot stiffer but once you hit that corner the TRD sways will really work. I got my sways first and everything since has made little noticeable changes, nothing my wife could feel (my wife drives the gs harder then I do) but I could.

I got the lower chasis brace from TRD but couldn't feel anything really after the sways.

I have becaome a true CL member because I ordered a UGO carbon Fiber shock Tower Bar from Steve Gantz and should have it on this weekend. I would have gone with the TRD but they don't fit 2001 GS 300.

Anyways good luck and I say go for it all at once but be warned that the 6 piece linkage bars are kinda hard to do if you aren't really handy.

Heres to seeing you going around the corners

chaskim
Old 06-19-03, 10:09 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Will the 6-piece kit come with instructions?

Also, what is the downside to the TRD swaybars? Will it make the ride any rougher?

One of the reasons I bought the mods that I did and one of the reasons that I won't be buying such mods as shocks, springs, or wheels is that I don't want the ride to get any rougher than it is from the factory.
Old 06-19-03, 10:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yup, the trd sways are so stiff that it will make the ride harsher.

but you need sways for handling, all the stuff you got have minimal effect. get the daizen sways for the gs, same price as trd but doesn't affect the ride quality, and still the same handling improvement

www.tmengineering.net
Old 06-19-03, 10:49 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Threxx,
You are definately modding the car in a backwards fashion. Not to say its wrong or right, but I think you would be the first person modding the car this way.

The TOMS 6 piece links are a difficult install to do yourself. My suggestion is to print out pictures of the setup installed. Manaray, has taken excellent pictures if you do a search. You are replacing only 2 link that is oem. The other 4 links do not have any oem parts so they will be all new.

The stock shocks are horrible and of poor quality. You have to lower the riding height of your car by at least an inch. My recomendation is you get L-tuned shocks which are almost stock like and very little degradation on riding comfort.

As for the Sways, I barely noticed any difference in ride quality with the TRD sways. I hear the DAIZEN sways are very nice too and even better ride quality. Sways, will be elimate that floaty feeling you have going over bumps.

Much of this info is in the suspension section in the GS forum
Old 06-19-03, 11:05 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Well to be honest, the main reason I bought the mods I bought was not to improve handling so much as it was to make the chassis more rigid. Maybe I'm weird but I really love to have an ultra-rigid chassis and I love it when a car can go over a bump and you can barely even feel the structure flex under pressure.

That's the main reason I got the mods that I did. I got them for the car's 'feel' and not really for the car's ability to take corners more quickly since I'm not all that aggressive of a driver anyhow.
Old 06-19-03, 02:02 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Threxx
Will the 6-piece kit come with instructions?
Yes but they are in japanese.

Originally posted by Threxx
Also, what is the downside to the TRD swaybars? Will it make the ride any rougher?
You will barely notice the ride degradation on nice roads. Since you are not going to lower profile tires/larger rims, it might not notice it at all. On bumpy roads, you will notice, especially on side-to-side uneven bumps.

You sound like you have a purpose so just go for it. Let us know if the change accomplishes what you set out to do.
Old 06-19-03, 10:48 PM
chaskim
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Threxx
I have the TRD sways with stock chrome rims and the ride is fine. Its still rides like a LEXUS but doesn't act like a boat in the corners (I love taking corners and you might not). Either way remeber thats its YOUR GS and do what you want to do.

Good Luck and check on CL for instructions or ask the person you bought it from for instructions.

Chaskim
Old 06-20-03, 03:05 PM
LexFather

SOunds good. I put on sways and STBs before my springs/shocks to give us a impression of how it rode compated to the usual way people do it. I got a write-up here somewhere..
Old 06-20-03, 09:01 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant wait for a write up on how all the Toms parts perform. Thinking about doing the TOMs LCBs and 6Link rear but not sure how much it will affect ride quality. So any input on the ride quality after you install all the pieces will be greatly appreciated