GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS vs

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-03, 08:01 AM
MrIan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question GS vs

Well i've started to look for my actual 1st car(i30 was my sisters). My father has agreed to pay for most of it, but he has to approve of the car. So anyway, his friend is selling a white '00 GS3 with under 20k miles on it, but hes asking $24k. For that i could get a new RSX-S, GTi, Mazdaspeed Protege, or Celica GTS. So which one would you guys pick? The GS3 is a much nicer car, but its missing a manual, and mods are more expensive for the GS than the others.

Thanks for your imput!
Old 06-21-03, 08:26 AM
Tranman

Well, you gotta consider another thing....the RSX-S, GTi, Mazdaspeed Protege, and Celica GTS are a different class of cars. They are sporty cars...while the GS is a luxury sport car. I could've gotten a E46 M3 instead of my GS430....but I already have my "fast" car. I was just looking for a comfortable four door with some power.....and the GS met all my criteria and then some You just have to figure out what kind of car you want to drive and build...and then it'll be clear which car you will want.
Old 06-21-03, 08:38 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

well it depends what do u reallt want, i would take the gs over the others u mentiond but mayb its easier 4 u 2 mod up the other cars than the gs. its what u'r funds acn handle and what u really desire. good luck.
Old 06-21-03, 10:04 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Tranman hit the nail on the head. What kind of car will you enjoy most? Although the GS is nicer, I'm guessing that since your dad is paying for it that you're pretty young. I know I would much rather have had a nice, new sporty car with a stick than a used, automatic, luxo-cruiser in my younger days. Plus, I NEVER buy used cars and you'll hear a saying that says never buy a car from a friend. On the other hand, if mods are important to you then you might want a used car so that you're not voiding your warranty right out of the box...
Old 06-21-03, 03:10 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: GS vs

Originally posted by TruenoHatchiRok
Well i've started to look for my actual 1st car(i30 was my sisters). My father has agreed to pay for most of it, but he has to approve of the car. So anyway, his friend is selling a white '00 GS3 with under 20k miles on it, but hes asking $24k. For that i could get a new RSX-S, GTi, Mazdaspeed Protege, or Celica GTS. So which one would you guys pick? The GS3 is a much nicer car, but its missing a manual, and mods are more expensive for the GS than the others.
Thanks for your imput!
I30 and GS are both mid-size car and RSX, GTi, Celica... are two-door compact car. If you want a luxury mid-size car with reliability, GS will be my pick. Since I have a GS400 and it is faster than RSX, GTi, protege, Celica GTS with manual shift, manual isn't a concern to me. GS also uses better interior materials, has better built quality than my Nissan and Acura.
Old 06-21-03, 07:09 PM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Iceman
Tranman hit the nail on the head. What kind of car will you enjoy most? Although the GS is nicer, I'm guessing that since your dad is paying for it that you're pretty young. I know I would much rather have had a nice, new sporty car with a stick than a used, automatic, luxo-cruiser in my younger days. Plus, I NEVER buy used cars and you'll hear a saying that says never buy a car from a friend. On the other hand, if mods are important to you then you might want a used car so that you're not voiding your warranty right out of the box...
I agree with the fact that at that age I would rather have a sports car then a sport luxury car, but I TOTALLY disagree with your buying a used car comment. I personally will NEVER buy a new car again. I bought my GS400 2 1/2 years old, paid half price, and have not had a single problem. When I go to sell it, it will have depreciated a fraction of what it would have if I had paid for it new. I did the same with my wife's Audi. I understand that some people always want a new car. But for me, if I inspect it and make sure it is a good, low mileage car, then I'd be a sucker to pay for new. My car is nearing 90K miles and people still think it is a new car.

Back to the subject, depending on your age I would go for the sporty car, you'll probably like it more in the long run.
Old 06-22-03, 06:21 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by theanimala
[B I TOTALLY disagree with your buying a used car comment. I personally will NEVER buy a new car again.[/B]
I guess that's why I brought it up. People seem to be either new car buyers or used car buyers, and they almost can't understand why anyone would do the opposite! For whichever side of the fence Trueno falls, it could greatly affect his decision.
Old 06-22-03, 06:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

I'm with Iceman on this one, if you can swing it, get a new car. I will never buy used. While I know many who have bought used with very positive results, I also heard many a bad story too.

But on the subject... TruenoHatchiRok - I guess you're young, so I'd say get a fun car, and that means one that is small. Plenty of time later to get something roomy and practical. My first car was a (new) Honda Prelude. It was a blast.
Old 06-22-03, 09:44 PM
MrIan
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll probably be going with the sporty manual.
Old 06-23-03, 12:04 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

well after you drive your NEW car, isn't it considered a USED car?
Old 06-23-03, 12:32 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Originally posted by TruenoHatchiRok
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll probably be going with the sporty manual.
Get a lexus IS 300!
Old 06-23-03, 12:39 AM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

in that range you can get a used

S2000, is300(good luck), porsche boxter, 3.2cl, 3.2tl, old M3, Gs300 a couple of 98 gs400's
those r the only nice ones i could think of...

but yea.. my choice... put in 2-3 grand more .. and buy a Supra TwinTurbo 6spd
Old 06-23-03, 05:49 AM
lucino
Rookie

Don't suggest other cars.

For your age, I say get a RSX-S, the car runs mid 15's in 1/4 miles consistantly, faster than a TSX, IS300 or even a GS3, GTS is fast too but there is plenty on the road. Mazada? Forget it, with turbo it puts out the same horse as the Spec V, but of course I have no doubt it's faster.
I think young people rather sit in a sportier car than a luxury car.

just my 2 cents

Lucino
Old 06-23-03, 07:38 AM
kvoman
Driver

Who's paying for the insurance? That could dictate which car you would get!

4-dr cars are usually cheaper to insure. The coupes you mentioned here probably will be more expensive to insure since you're young, male, single, less than 10 years of drving experience.

If it was my choice, I'd go with the GS since I could carry friends in it and travel in style, plus it would show my parents that I'm a sensible driver and mature young adult (that should score plenty of bonus points!!!). Not many young people drive a GS, on the other hand, you see a lot of young drivers drive the coupe you listed. Not much exclusivity there.

Good luck in making your decision.
Old 06-23-03, 07:58 AM
MrIan
Lexus Test Driver

SouthernSun and CamRen-I thought about all of those but insurance is going to be pretty high for all of them except the Acuras and maybe the GS.

lucino-Yea the RSX-S is at the top of my list. The car is pretty good all around(luxury/performance mix)IMO. I considered the Mazda because it has more practicality. Kinda like what kvoman said about the GS. 4door=cheaper insurance and more road trips .

kvoman-My father will be paying insurance for the first couple of months, then i need to pay for it. But do i wanna be a "young sensible adult"? This time in life doesn't last forever. I could wait and get a GS when i have a family to drive around.

Thanks again everybody!

Quick Reply: GS vs