GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Touch screen NAV will not work w/o cassette player in 99 GS400

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-17, 05:02 PM
D35tr0y312
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Touch screen NAV will not work w/o cassette player in 99 GS400

My GS had an aftermarket single DIN rail stereo along with the touch screen NAV and cassette player when I bought it from a friend. the aftermarket system worked great for some time and died a couple of months ago along with alternator and starter ( alternator and starter=a painstaking job to do). I drove it for those two months listening thru my bluetooth portable speaker and finally decided to remove the aftermarket radio and the cassette player and replace it with a double din system.
So I got the clock, nav screen, cassette player and aftermarket radio and started looking at the assembly. It made me question why the previous owner never remove the cassette player and put the aftermarket radio in its place. I come to find out that the nav screen will not function properly without the cassette player. most buttons will not work and the touch screen will seize to function. I already ordered my double din system before i found this problem.
so there was only a couple options: return the double din sys and get a single din or troubleshoot. I decided to troubleshoot first before i return the system. It turns out the fix is so simple.

Here is the OEM cassette player that I took off

The radio had 3 wire connectors that I disconnected one by one until I lost function in my nav screen. The wire connector on the passenger side was the culprit. Luckily it had only two wires Yellow and Brown.
The two wires connect to the two bottom pins on the top connector in the picture. The pins connects everywhere but what caught my eye was the resistor connecting the them. It is the one just bellow them.

Here we can clearly see the resistor labeled 680 ( a 68 ohm resistor) just left of the text R+L+R-L-.

I found the right resistor value and jumpered the wires. Turned on the car and hoped for the best.

Voila!! It worked again.

Thanks for reading

Last edited by D35tr0y312; 11-12-17 at 12:21 AM. Reason: To add pictures