GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New front speakers

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-17, 05:18 AM
Cbb129
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New front speakers

Replacing stock speakers on my 99 GS 300 (Non Nakamichi / no navi) with a set of Morel Maximo 4" coax. I've done lots of searches and read lots of upgrade posts, but this is not really an upgrade. Just replacing 18 year old speakers with new possibly a bit better ones. My question is do I connect the stock tweeters, or leave them disconnected ? I know lots of guys will say to go component, but I'm not a super audiophile and just want decent sound and don't want to deal with the hassle of replacing the tweeters. Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 11-23-17, 06:42 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

I recommend you go with 6.5" speakers. Connect your tweeters. I've done it.
Old 11-23-17, 06:57 AM
Cbb129
Rookie

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
I recommend you go with 6.5" speakers. Connect your tweeters. I've done it.
I've already got the 4", so that's what I'm installing. How do you connect the tweeters ?
Old 11-23-17, 08:59 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Have you not opened up the doors and the speaker enclosures in there? If you had, you wouldn't be here (not being mean). Disassemble the door and just replace them. Remove the old 4" and replace with the new one. The tweeter will never even be touched. The in-door enclosure already has a passive junction where the tweeter just plugs into it. And yes, it is an upgrade, Morel makes some good shat! However, the enclosures are tuned for the factory speakers, I've heard some replacements that just do NOT sound as good as the engineering made for whats already there. Going to 6.5's is a waste unless you completely pad up and seal the door (amongst other things). I did it and to be honest, theres nothing like what you get out that 4" for vocals. And thats me using a pair of $400 Focal 6.5 components. Yes they sound great, but that 4" gives what that 6.5 pair doesn't.

I recommend for people to go 3-way components (which includes a 4") if they plan on not JUST replacing as you are.
Old 11-23-17, 12:36 PM
Cbb129
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Have you not opened up the doors and the speaker enclosures in there? If you had, you wouldn't be here (not being mean). Disassemble the door and just replace them. Remove the old 4" and replace with the new one. The tweeter will never even be touched. The in-door enclosure already has a passive junction where the tweeter just plugs into it. And yes, it is an upgrade, Morel makes some good shat! However, the enclosures are tuned for the factory speakers, I've heard some replacements that just do NOT sound as good as the engineering made for whats already there. Going to 6.5's is a waste unless you completely pad up and seal the door (amongst other things). I did it and to be honest, theres nothing like what you get out that 4" for vocals. And thats me using a pair of $400 Focal 6.5 components. Yes they sound great, but that 4" gives what that 6.5 pair doesn't.

I recommend for people to go 3-way components (which includes a 4") if they plan on not JUST replacing as you are.
Yes, I just replaced them. The front speakers have four wires connected to them, black red, yellow and blue. The blue and yellow connect to the new speaker (which only has two connectors), and my understanding is the other two lead up to the tweeter. There is no place to connect the red and black wires to the new speakers, so I left them and now the tweeters don't work. Sound is much better though.
Old 11-25-17, 01:37 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster

A waste? Speak for yourself bro. My 6.5 speakers were an upgrade over the horrible 4" oem speakers. To each their own.