GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Interest in FIGS supercharger kit for 3uz?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-17, 12:20 PM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

My 2002 GS430, all stock with all the bells and whistles, is worth around $4,000.00 according to KBB. You asked for opinions so here are my 2 cents: assuming the "other kit, a turn key with more plug and play", and assuming your lower price range of $6,000.00 (probably not realistic, this being the base kit price), I would still like to have a pro, with more experience and expertise than myself, install it.

Although my car has no problems, what parts would I have to refresh to handle the extra power, if any? Suspension, brakes,...? What gas mileage, somewhat irrelevant, should we expect?

Although this kit may be totally worth it, I think that your market analysis will show that the target customer you are looking is going to be someone that:
  1. has extra cash lying around and really likes his car so much that doesn't mind spending thousands of dollars for an extra bit of HP
  2. is never going to sell his car-- the return on investment will be in-existent--
  3. has a more powerful and newer car, but is bored and wants a project
  4. has already done many, if not all, the mods that he/she wanted
  5. is not married (try selling this to your spouse)
One question for you, are the SC and LS forums you have this posted comparable to the age of our cars?
Old 12-26-17, 02:12 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 189 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by MedicalDoc
My 2002 GS430, all stock with all the bells and whistles, is worth around $4,000.00 according to KBB. You asked for opinions so here are my 2 cents: assuming the "other kit, a turn key with more plug and play", and assuming your lower price range of $6,000.00 (probably not realistic, this being the base kit price), I would still like to have a pro, with more experience and expertise than myself, install it.

Although my car has no problems, what parts would I have to refresh to handle the extra power, if any? Suspension, brakes,...? What gas mileage, somewhat irrelevant, should we expect?

Although this kit may be totally worth it, I think that your market analysis will show that the target customer you are looking is going to be someone that:
  1. has extra cash lying around and really likes his car so much that doesn't mind spending thousands of dollars for an extra bit of HP
  2. is never going to sell his car-- the return on investment will be in-existent--
  3. has a more powerful and newer car, but is bored and wants a project
  4. has already done many, if not all, the mods that he/she wanted
  5. is not married (try selling this to your spouse)
One question for you, are the SC and LS forums you have this posted comparable to the age of our cars?
I am married and my wife's cool with it she even helps me fix stuff on the ls and yes the ls430 is 2001-2006 the sc430 is 2001-2010 I think and the gs is 1998-2005 so it's all in the same car age range.

To be honest it's my opinion that you could bolt this kit up to a stock ls, gs, or sc and you would not need to do supporting mods your not adding 300+hp yah know and most people that will be going after this kit they will have some suspension work and rims and tires anyway not to mention maybe more mods.

The gas mileage would deffinetly suffer maybe 10-14mpg you need to remeber a supercharger is always runnung do to it being belt driven unlike turbocharging which the turbo is running off of exhaust gassess.

Last edited by 05ls430518; 12-26-17 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-26-17, 04:03 PM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

You have a better one than I do!
Old 12-26-17, 04:31 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

FIGS will discover that when its time for down payment deposit checks there will be nothing but the sound of crickets. rr racing is selling supercharger kits for the rcf's because those cars cost a crap load of money and those owners typically have more money. or are willing to invest another 10 grand into an already 60+ investment. im pretty sure ive already posted every detail about how to supercharge a gs400/430 from basic 4psi. to 12psi. the only possible bolt on manifold available is from australia and cost 1,300. and thats not the cost of machining the top 30% of it off to make fit under factory gs hood.
The following users liked this post:
FIGS (01-02-18)
Old 12-27-17, 06:11 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

This tread has become comedic!
Old 01-02-18, 10:48 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

First of all guys, the kit does not exist yet, so pricing is estimated but it would likely not be done for less than 7K. This is an extension of the kit that Brad Bedell did on the wagon we now own, making 418whp. We swapped a manual trans into it as well so that is another potential kit. Also, the idea is that you "seriously" post constructive feedback of you want and what you would be willing to pay for so we can make the decision to do it or not. I can guarantee our investment will dwarf the asking price, but we are pushing our car further and looking to see if there is a market to help us recoup some of the investment. That does not mean that it is done when we finish what we are working on. There are many hours beyond that to get something into a form that we would sell. If you want a builder kit, that is a potential as well. Just keep the discussion open and be realistic. There are fixed costs that establish the baseline price, and we do not work for free just like you would not yourself.
Thanks Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 01-02-18, 10:52 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

So is anyone in this forum interested in a supercharger kit? Of your not interested in a supercharger kit what would you be interested in a manifold adapter plate, a LS swap kit please share what you are looking for.
Old 01-03-18, 09:37 PM
firelizard

Received 447 Likes on 354 Posts

I don't think the price is unreasonable for a full kit. But I think more people would be interested in just the manifold because they think they can cobble something together cheaper, with a used M90 or something.
Old 01-04-18, 06:29 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by firelizard
I don't think the price is unreasonable for a full kit. But I think more people would be interested in just the manifold because they think they can cobble something together cheaper, with a used M90 or something.
So you would be more likely to purchase a manifold adapter plate? So there could be more diy? I appreciate the feed back by the way thank you.
Old 01-05-18, 05:59 AM
aletz12485
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$7k is not an unreasonable price for a complete kit. Hell, the more popular GM LSx stuff is around $6-7k and their consumer base is probably 50x that of any lexus/toyota. You gotta pay to play. 418 rwhp is nice. Think about all the power that's lost through the drivetrain to make that number. I bet if you advertise the crank HP, you'd get people more excited.

Case in point: Here is a roots style for a Chevy 4.8/5.3/6.0 and its $6500. This doesnt include injectors, a ECM tune, fuel upgrades, etc.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...83bl/overview/
Old 01-08-18, 02:26 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Few things:

1.) I very much like to see aftermarket options offered for our cars. The more performance options we have for our cars, the better.

Now if I put my business man hat on and think about this from a supplier point of view:

2.) I just saw the production numbers for the 2GS GS430, and they are miniscule.

2001 (5,982)
2002 (2,597)
2003 (2,271)
2004 (1,537)
2005 (422)

Compare that to a Mustang for instance, where Ford sells >100K/yr

3.) If we consider the 01-05 GS430 (I'm ignoring the GS400 for now), these cars are now 13-17yrs old and fully depreciated. Although a $6-7K supercharger kit price-tag isn't unreasonable by today's standards, finding eager buyers that will dish out more money for the supercharger than the car won't be easy, as already touched on by some folks above.

4.) As a supplier of superchargers to the market, I'd want to focus on a platform that:

a.) Must have high production numbers (GS430 isn't it)
b.) Must have a higher number of performance enthusiasts (a heavy 4dr sedan that only came with an auto transmission isn't it)
c.) Value of car must be higher, at least compared to the price of the supercharger kit (GS430 isn't it)

It's just reality. Although I think it's great that you are brainstorming, it appears to me that you are attempting to force a market that simply doesn't exist. People are overwhelmingly drawn to these cars for timeless styling, quality & reliability, and value.

Last edited by BayAreaLex; 01-08-18 at 02:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
firelizard (01-09-18)
Old 01-08-18, 02:52 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Very well said.
Old 01-10-18, 01:56 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
Few things:

1.) I very much like to see aftermarket options offered for our cars. The more performance options we have for our cars, the better.

Now if I put my business man hat on and think about this from a supplier point of view:

2.) I just saw the production numbers for the 2GS GS430, and they are miniscule.

2001 (5,982)
2002 (2,597)
2003 (2,271)
2004 (1,537)
2005 (422)

Compare that to a Mustang for instance, where Ford sells >100K/yr

3.) If we consider the 01-05 GS430 (I'm ignoring the GS400 for now), these cars are now 13-17yrs old and fully depreciated. Although a $6-7K supercharger kit price-tag isn't unreasonable by today's standards, finding eager buyers that will dish out more money for the supercharger than the car won't be easy, as already touched on by some folks above.

4.) As a supplier of superchargers to the market, I'd want to focus on a platform that:

a.) Must have high production numbers (GS430 isn't it)
b.) Must have a higher number of performance enthusiasts (a heavy 4dr sedan that only came with an auto transmission isn't it)
c.) Value of car must be higher, at least compared to the price of the supercharger kit (GS430 isn't it)

It's just reality. Although I think it's great that you are brainstorming, it appears to me that you are attempting to force a market that simply doesn't exist. People are overwhelmingly drawn to these cars for timeless styling, quality & reliability, and value.
what you forget is ANY of the cars with the 3UZ could use this, so also the LS430, SC430, and a few other models so now production #'s are much more. now im not saying that will make the market demand more im just saying we can share this platform
Old 01-10-18, 05:26 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sakataj
what you forget is ANY of the cars with the 3UZ could use this, so also the LS430, SC430, and a few other models so now production #'s are much more. now im not saying that will make the market demand more im just saying we can share this platform
The United States is kinda a joke for modifying Lexus cars in general Europe Japan and Australia are very much more open to car modification.

Also above poster you are very correct a simple valve body uprgade to the transmission will help the transmission cope with higher power levels, in states with less strict inspection laws you can put the Toyota supra r154 transmission in the car and you have a stout combo. A company makes an bellhousing adapter for tbat as well.
Old 01-10-18, 06:17 PM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Having lived in Europe for years, do u want to backup that statement? Government, city, province or state, will regulate what u can & can't do to your own car. "It's for the good of the people, for everybody's safety". Not to mention that parts are scarce -- You'll find Renault, Fiat, Citroen. Peugeot, etc--, but Japanese cars are rare. Oh, did I mention the prices? Break a 100 Euro note and see how much it lasts. Compare Sidney or Tokyo and New York will look inexpensive. This is the best country to mod ur vehicle.

Quick Reply: Interest in FIGS supercharger kit for 3uz?