GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Questions on foglights

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-17, 10:52 AM
AgedGS
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
that glass isnt clear its fluted. they do make aftermarket fogs with clear glass now though
Also good to know, and I'm 99% sure mine are the originals to the car, so fluted. My main question was in relation to the yellow or not. Personally, I don't care for the ones that are not fluted on cars unless there is a projector behind them.
Old 12-27-17, 05:01 PM
AgedGS
Rookie

It looks very minimal in the picture, but the passenger side one is a bit darker...
Old 12-28-17, 05:43 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Its noticeable. I'd like to say possibly just 2 different age bulbs, or even possibly 2 different bulbs.
Old 12-28-17, 06:13 AM
AgedGS
Rookie

Yeah, I'm going to go with 2 different age bulbs. It didn't look like that before. I'll put a fresh pair of bulbs in this weekend, and I expect that will take care of it. I'd like to do the led upgrade, but with heatsinks or fans being involved, that seems like an unnecessary hassle. Thanks for everyone's input!
Old 12-28-17, 06:27 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

heatsinks or fans ?
Old 12-28-17, 06:38 AM
AgedGS
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
heatsinks or fans ?
been pondering switching to LED's for a while, and everything that have looked at that is for a headlight or foglight bulb involves some sort of heat dissipation device, like a heatsink or a fan coming off of the back of the bulb. there are some LED's that I have seen that have no such device, but the output on most of them seem to be much less than the ones that are cooled. I could be totally wrong on any of this, but just from what I have read, this seems to be the case. Assuming it is, I really don't want to deal with accommodating the cooling mechanism behind the housing.
Old 12-29-17, 11:45 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by AgedGS
been pondering switching to LED's for a while, and everything that have looked at that is for a headlight or foglight bulb involves some sort of heat dissipation device, like a heatsink or a fan coming off of the back of the bulb. there are some LED's that I have seen that have no such device, but the output on most of them seem to be much less than the ones that are cooled. I could be totally wrong on any of this, but just from what I have read, this seems to be the case. Assuming it is, I really don't want to deal with accommodating the cooling mechanism behind the housing.
Any aftermarket LED that is going to put out more power than a halogen equivalent is going to require some sort of heat sink. Everyone does it differently: some companies use a solid portion of the base with slits or holes, some use moving fans, some have a flexible heat sink, etc. Ultimately, they all make the LED bulbs take up a bit more space than the halogens you are replacing, so they can be trickier to work with if you're looking for just a bulb-swap, or if available space is at a premium inside your housings. You're right, though, LEDs without any additional heat sink are not likely to be any brighter than the bulbs you are replacing, although you can generally get them in different colours and LEDs, at least quality ones, have really long lifespans compared to halogens. It really just depends on what you are looking to achieve with your lights - if you want something brighter than stock, then you are most likely going to need to deal with more space being taken up and/or a heat sink.

~Robert
The following users liked this post:
AgedGS (12-31-17)