GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Right Rear Door Stuck, 01 GS 430

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-18, 12:52 AM
sergttom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I'll try ebay.
Old 01-06-18, 12:54 AM
sergttom
Driver School Candidate

I guess this would be worth a try, thanks.
Old 01-06-18, 12:56 AM
sergttom
Driver School Candidate

Whatever you find would be most helpful.
Old 01-06-18, 12:57 AM
sergttom
Driver School Candidate

I'm in Orange County. My car has the tan colored interior.
Old 01-06-18, 01:00 AM
sergttom
Driver School Candidate

Will cutting the wood part of the panel expose the cables? It's been a couple of years since I replaced the motor on the front passenger door, so I only have a vague recollection of access to the cables.
Old 01-06-18, 01:01 AM
sergttom
Driver School Candidate

I've never engaged the child safety locks, so I don't think that this is part of the problem.
Old 01-06-18, 05:44 AM
JonGS3
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by sergttom
Thanks for the info. I'll try ebay.
There's a couple tan ones for sale for around $100 https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...panel&_sacat=0

I might pick one up since I haven't been able to find one locally.
Old 01-06-18, 04:16 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 235 Posts

I just popped of my door panel to take a quick look. With that door closed your not going to get it off without destroying it. I would use a Dremel and cut around the wood panel to get to the cables. If that doesn’t work your gonna have to rip that panel apart. It’s gonna take me a minute but I gotta see if I have another right rear door panel somewhere
Old 01-07-18, 07:27 AM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

This should give you an idea of the structure of the rear door lock / latch and door handle.
Old 01-07-18, 07:48 AM
AgedGS
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lexo98
I just popped of my door panel to take a quick look. With that door closed your not going to get it off without destroying it. I would use a Dremel and cut around the wood panel to get to the cables. If that doesn’t work your gonna have to rip that panel apart. It’s gonna take me a minute but I gotta see if I have another right rear door panel somewhere
What lexo said. I spent a ridiculous about of time trying to remove the back tint in mine over the past couple of days, and haven't gotten any pictures of the door panel, but I did see that when the door is shut, the place where that back screw is located is "pinched" in between the door & the body, so I'd agree that the whole panel can't come off without destroying it. The cables might be partially accessible by taking the wood panel off, but it doesn't look like you'll be able to get them off the back of the interior door handle with the panel in place.
Old 01-13-18, 10:46 AM
JonGS3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sergttom
Will cutting the wood part of the panel expose the cables? It's been a couple of years since I replaced the motor on the front passenger door, so I only have a vague recollection of access to the cables.
So I finally got mine open. All you have to do is tear away the leather cover under the wood panel. Then behind that is cardboard material that the leather is stapled to. I tore the cardboard out and was then able to access the cables to get the door open.

The only problem is I screwed up and ordered what I thought was a tan panel which turned out to be grey. I suppose it will do for now until I can get a tan panel.
Old 01-15-18, 07:33 PM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

If breaking the panel, probably easier to do it at the handle area so the cord is within easy reach.
Old 01-17-18, 05:20 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by JonGS3
So I finally got mine open. All you have to do is tear away the leather cover under the wood panel. Then behind that is cardboard material that the leather is stapled to. I tore the cardboard out and was then able to access the cables to get the door open.

The only problem is I screwed up and ordered what I thought was a tan panel which turned out to be grey. I suppose it will do for now until I can get a tan panel.
So then why weren't the door handles working?
Old 01-20-18, 10:45 AM
JonGS3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lexo98
So then why weren't the door handles working?
Good question.

When I pulled the actuator out I noticed that the lock cable housing wasn't properly seated in the actuator body I think it was stuck in the lock position. The manual lock was really stiff and didn't move much so my guess is that having access to the entire cable allowed me to pull it just enough to unlock the door.

I also noticed the actuator must have some kind of roll over "sensor" inside it. When I was testing it before I installed it the 2nd time, I noticed that it would work when held at the right angle but if I leaned it to the side or flipped it over, the electric lock/unlock button would not activate it unless I held it at the same angle as when it's in the door. I think I must have triggered this when I installed it the first time as I couldn't unlock the door manually or with the button. Upon re-installation, I had to hold it just right as I wiggled it into place.

I think these two screw ups when installing it at what led to it getting stuck locked shut.
Old 01-22-18, 02:55 PM
LexusK
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JonGS3
Good question.

When I pulled the actuator out I noticed that the lock cable housing wasn't properly seated in the actuator body I think it was stuck in the lock position. The manual lock was really stiff and didn't move much so my guess is that having access to the entire cable allowed me to pull it just enough to unlock the door.

I also noticed the actuator must have some kind of roll over "sensor" inside it. When I was testing it before I installed it the 2nd time, I noticed that it would work when held at the right angle but if I leaned it to the side or flipped it over, the electric lock/unlock button would not activate it unless I held it at the same angle as when it's in the door. I think I must have triggered this when I installed it the first time as I couldn't unlock the door manually or with the button. Upon re-installation, I had to hold it just right as I wiggled it into place.

I think these two screw ups when installing it at what led to it getting stuck locked shut.
Did you notice if it was possible to get to the cable through the wood? I want to minimize the amount of damage I'd be doing to the panel as a whole and figured going in behind the wood would be best. Can you still reach the cable from that area, or do you need to grab onto the metal end/ball of the cable in order to unlock the door?

Edit: Just saw the video a few posts up. Looks like you can. Just gotta cut through the wood and then that cardboard/cloth looking thing. Cable seems to be suspended right behind that.

Last edited by LexusK; 01-22-18 at 03:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Right Rear Door Stuck, 01 GS 430