GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Right Rear Door Stuck, 01 GS 430

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-17, 09:47 PM
sergttom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right Rear Door Stuck, 01 GS 430

A couple of years ago I asked on this site whether anyone had experienced a stuck door. I can't open the door to remove the door panel for access to the inner workings of the door. No one responded with a similar problem. My mechanic was unable to open the door. I was told by a body shop worker that it would be necessary to force the door panel off of the door, which would probably destroy the panel. Lexus door panels are not cheap! I'll ask again, has anyone had a similar problem, and what was your solution?
Old 01-01-18, 06:55 AM
Brickbeats
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it stuck due to the power lock failure?
Old 01-01-18, 07:30 AM
JonGS3
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Let me know what you figure out because I have the same problem too. I've been looking for a used door panel so I can tear mine off to get the door open
Old 01-01-18, 10:46 PM
sergttom
Driver School Candidate

I'm pretty sure that the problem started with a failed lock actuator. One day I unlocked all the doors, but the right rear did not unlock. I tried to manually unlock the door, but the manual switch wouldn't budge. I think that the door is still locked. My mechanic was able to free the manual switch, but the door still won't unlock. The cheapest I've seen a new door panel is around 2k. Couldn't find a used one. Needless to say, I've been driving around in a 3 door sedan for awhile.
Old 01-02-18, 03:08 AM
nehinbin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your actuator died and that your actuator cable broke (common issue) which is why the manual lock doesn't work. Not sure how you'd open the door from here if it's already closed but best of luck and I hope you can find a door cheaper than 2K. 2K for a door panel for a car that old is just ridiculous; keep fishing scrap yards and Craigslist.
Old 01-02-18, 04:01 AM
sergttom
Driver School Candidate

Thanks nehinbin for your reply. I am familiar with the lock actuator problems. I've replaced one of my actuator motors in the past 2 years. I wasn't aware that the cable breaking is a common problem. I've had really good luck with this car, and never expected this kind of problem. I'm seriously thinking about listing it for sale as a "three door sedan".
Old 01-02-18, 07:32 AM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I had previously suggested someone to break the handle portion, when they went to investigate the best route the saw the cable and was able to hook it some how thru the crak of the lock mechanism and got it unlocked.. Worth a shot.
Old 01-02-18, 08:49 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

I was able to find a replacement panel for my front drivers door on eBay for about $125. Just search for "gs400 driver door panel" or something like that. Be sure and get the right color though because some of the interior colors can be close. For example, the grey/tan and grey/grey look very similar.
Old 01-02-18, 10:46 AM
lexo98
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by sergttom
A couple of years ago I asked on this site whether anyone had experienced a stuck door. I can't open the door to remove the door panel for access to the inner workings of the door. No one responded with a similar problem. My mechanic was unable to open the door. I was told by a body shop worker that it would be necessary to force the door panel off of the door, which would probably destroy the panel. Lexus door panels are not cheap! I'll ask again, has anyone had a similar problem, and what was your solution?
Probably not going to get it open without damaging that door panel. Where in Cali are you located? What color is your door panel?
Old 01-03-18, 11:34 AM
LexusK
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the same problem on the same door. I replaced all the motors in my doors with the recommended mabuchi motors. They all worked fine for 2 weeks and then all of a sudden the rear passenger just stopped working. It wasn't locking or unlocking. Couldn't hear the motors engaging or anything. The only option I see is cutting into the wood part and then pulling on the cable. Once you get it off, just replace the wood instead of the whole panel. I have been meaning to do this, but am lazy. If I don't get this door open, then my L-Tuned sides will continue to sit in my garage .
Old 01-03-18, 11:43 AM
AgedGS
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusK
I have the same problem on the same door. I replaced all the motors in my doors with the recommended mabuchi motors. They all worked fine for 2 weeks and then all of a sudden the rear passenger just stopped working. It wasn't locking or unlocking. Couldn't hear the motors engaging or anything. The only option I see is cutting into the wood part and then pulling on the cable. Once you get it off, just replace the wood instead of the whole panel. I have been meaning to do this, but am lazy. If I don't get this door open, then my L-Tuned sides will continue to sit in my garage .
Weather permitting, I'll be taking my rear door panels off this weekend to get some residual tint glue off the windows. I will pay attention to what is where in regards to the lock/ actuator cables & see if I can find something of use for you. If so, I'll post pictures.
Old 01-03-18, 01:32 PM
Dutchjzs16
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am thinking of a way of reaching the door pannel bolts ( maby a stupid idea )

remove the rear seat.
unbolt the door hinges en carfuly open the door like a suicide door.
maby the door hinges far enough on the locking meganism to reach the door pannel bolts to take ik of?
Old 01-04-18, 04:11 PM
JonGS3
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutchjzs16

I am thinking of a way of reaching the door pannel bolts ( maby a stupid idea )

remove the rear seat.
unbolt the door hinges en carfuly open the door like a suicide door.
maby the door hinges far enough on the locking meganism to reach the door pannel bolts to take ik of?
I don't think you can get to the hinges with the door closed.

As far as the panel bolts, with the door closed you can get to all of them except the rearward one by the child safety lock. That's the one that keeps you from being able to remove the panel with the door closed.
Old 01-04-18, 05:18 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by JonGS3
I don't think you can get to the hinges with the door closed.

As far as the panel bolts, with the door closed you can get to all of them except the rearward one by the child safety lock. That's the one that keeps you from being able to remove the panel with the door closed.
And this here brings up another point. If the child safety lock is on the inside door handle won’t work. Maybe the switch is on and the only issue is the outside door handle isn’t making contact to the latch assembly.
Old 01-04-18, 05:30 PM
AgedGS
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JonGS3
I was thinking this was the case too. Maybe cutting the panel near where that screw is would allow for repair of the panel after the door is opened?

Quick Reply: Right Rear Door Stuck, 01 GS 430