GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Wrecked 98 GS300

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-18, 10:00 AM
wrkdLex98
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Wrecked 98 GS300

Good day all

My 98 GS300 was in a wreck a couple of days after I bought it. Got a hella of a deal for about a third off what they go for in my area and what they are valued for. I was doing an oil change on my kids car and told her to take my car since who ever thinks the worse. She rear ended a pickup truck and pretty much looks like the whole front end is gone up to the radiator, whole front bumper and accessories, and driver side fender. My question is concerning the whole front clip removal. Can anyone attest to doing such a job on this gen car and was it worth it? Or should I just take my looses, take what the insurance gives me and start from scratch? The rest of the car is in pretty good shape. Thanks all and any and all replies are appreciated even if they are troll replies

Last edited by wrkdLex98; 01-10-18 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Forgot to finish it off
Old 01-11-18, 07:38 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Sorry to hear that, it all depends on the insurance company. I've had two front end collisions in my GS400 and both times the insurance company decided to fix it. Go figure. The first time I hit a deer and the second time I rear ended someone at low speed. Both times it took out the bumper, hood and one of the lights and maybe a fog light the second time. In both instances my driver and passenger side fenders were ok though. It just depends on the damage.

Today it's hard for anyone to tell my car was ever in an accident. Make that two!

Old 01-11-18, 11:19 AM
AgedGS
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wrkdLex98
Good day all

My 98 GS300 was in a wreck a couple of days after I bought it. Got a hella of a deal for about a third off what they go for in my area and what they are valued for. I was doing an oil change on my kids car and told her to take my car since who ever thinks the worse. She rear ended a pickup truck and pretty much looks like the whole front end is gone up to the radiator, whole front bumper and accessories, and driver side fender. My question is concerning the whole front clip removal. Can anyone attest to doing such a job on this gen car and was it worth it? Or should I just take my looses, take what the insurance gives me and start from scratch? The rest of the car is in pretty good shape. Thanks all and any and all replies are appreciated even if they are troll replies
Depends on how much the car means to you, and what you paid. if you paid 1500 or less, I'd say take what the Insurance co. gives you & get something else. Being a 20 year old car with no new oem body parts available except for ebay or the like, I'd expect them to total it. I also would imagine that it would have to be put on a frame machine because of how far back it was pushed, and I don't know about where you are, but there are no cheap options for quality frame work where I live. If you are able to do serious body work yourself (welding/ frame work), then it's absolutely worth it, as all you have to do is find a good clip & go to work.