GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Man.....When Is Lexus Changing The GS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-03, 06:22 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't done a tour of the websites lately, I didn't know the E 500 was going for that much. Even then, at 302hp. Does the new E seem small for some reason? Maybe it is me. Aside from buying on looks, I don't think the E is worth a $10,000-12,000 premium.

Kind of like the LS vs the S Class argument. Talking major price differences here, what does that 20-30k get you? Looks and prestige, well yeah if that is worth 20-30k go for it. Until Germany get the unions under control, you will be paying way over what those vehicles are worth....

I would buy a new first year model, and I am willing to accept the potential issues of a new production run. There is something about having a new car for those first few months it comes out
Old 06-30-03, 06:49 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Even if the new GS came out tomorrow and was gorgeous, I'm not sure how many on here would buy it because it seems like most people on here don't buy a new one, and I for one would not buy the first year of a new model.

But TXSTYLE - comparing a GS to an M5 - isn't that a bit much? Also, the E500 is 56,600 list for the BASE model, which no one buys. You can easily add $5K on that, no problem*. Don't expect much discount because it's new. Plus tax takes you to $66000!
Dude, you know me better than that. I didn't even metion an E55! That is a whole nother Price & Performance bracket. Maybe you mistook the photo I posted above of an E500 (look at the badges) for a E55 due to the fact they installed the AMG wheels on.
My point is guys not to knock the GS, it's a great vehicle for "overall style, performance, and reliablility". You guys are like me "Car Enthusiasts", I know this. It's just that the platform is SERIOUSLY dated and the direct market segment competeitors have really turned it up....several knotches, in terms of Style, Performance, Technology, and reliability according to published reports.
And on the contrary Bit, even though I would take a hit on the purchase of a new one, I have bought several new cars, and if I feel STRONGLY about it, I would do it again. My GS400 was the first purchase of it's kind (4-door sedan and over $40k) but I learned alot and it gave me the confidence in Lexus to buy again. As a matter of fact, the gentleman who I sold it to a few months ago recently called me to praise my car I sold him with 67k+ miles on it! The GS gave me 4 years of driving pleasure and worry-free maintenance. And that is saying ALOT! I have never kept a car beyond 2 years out of 10 cars!
It's just being me, change is good and Style is HUGE in my book. Hopefully the "Change & Style" of the next GS will meet and or exceed my expectations....

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 06-30-03 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-30-03, 07:06 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Not that I'm a fan of it, BUT...............Bimmer realizes the "everimportant" Style/Update factor to keep current and new generation buyers interested.......

Old 06-30-03, 07:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally posted by TXSTYLE
Dude, you know me better than that. I didn't even metion an E55! That is a whole nother Price & Performance bracket. Maybe you mistook the photo I posted above of an E500 (look at the badges) for a E55 due to the fact they installed the AMG wheels on.
The price I quoted was for the E500, not E55.

It's just that the platform is SERIOUSLY dated and the direct market segment competeitors have really turned it up....several knotches, in terms of Style, Performance, Technology, and reliability according to published reports.
I don't agree at all, and not just because I have a GS so bear with me... The E500 pics you posted looks nice with those rims, but all the ones I've seen, including an E500 where I work, look more like a Hyundai, with small wheels! The new E seems smaller than an Accord! As has been pointed out, the GS430 is still competitive with the E500 and new 5 series, and certainly the A6 2.7T or A6 4.2 in terms of power, refinement. As far as reliability, maybe you haven't seen the latest JD Power results - Lexus won every category, and MB was right around the industry AVERAGE!

The Lexus stereo and nav are still the best on the market, and I notice you still can't get dimming side mirrors on an E class like on a GS.

The biggest problem I have with the stock GS look is that the rear wheels are inset too much. The H&R spacers make a VAST difference in the stock look. Apart from that, I think it's still very competitive, and LEAPS AND BOUNDS better in terms of quality.

I expect the next GS to be a home run again...
Old 06-30-03, 07:46 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

I'll be getting a new GS when they come out. I turned in my 2000 back in May and still sad about it. We just bought an IS but will trade it in for the new GS when it comes out mark my words.

I think the engine is fast enought as it is. Not concerned about it. I love new technology. And cars are the greatest front for the greatest technology.
Old 06-30-03, 10:46 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by TXSTYLE
Not that I'm a fan of it, BUT...............Bimmer realizes the "everimportant" Style/Update factor to keep current and new generation buyers interested.......

Where's Ace & Gary? Sorry, but I'm not much of a fan of the new 5. They could have done so much better. The current E39 5-Series is a classic in my opinion -- Bangel sucks as a designer and I think BMW should get the message and give him the boot.
Old 06-30-03, 10:47 PM
LexFather

I am so drained the 5 looks like that. DRAINED. Truly saddened they made the 5 look like a Kia, hell Toyota, Honda etc. The classic German proportions are gone.

First the FAT BOYS break up, now this.
Old 06-30-03, 10:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

comparing the new e and the upcoming 5, i would take the e any day. the new 5 is plain ugly imho
Old 07-01-03, 06:49 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 310 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna
The biggest problem I have with the stock GS look is that the rear wheels are inset too much. The H&R spacers make a VAST difference in the stock look. Apart from that, I think it's still very competitive, and LEAPS AND BOUNDS better in terms of quality.

I expect the next GS to be a home run again...
I couldn't have said that better!! I am sure the GS will be a home run - no questions about that. It will definitely be better than a 5 or E - just look at its history when it came out late 97 - it kicked butt back then and Lexus will make it kick butt again. They have to .................................
Old 07-01-03, 07:00 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

I really like the look of the 98-2004 GS. When the 2nd gen came out, it still had some of the 1st gen look to it.

I hope they keep some of the 2nd gen style when the 3rd comes out, if they totally re-do I am hoping they don’t get too radical.
Old 07-01-03, 07:02 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

blah blah blah, everyone complains about the new cars coming out look ugly. But when they come out everyone's like "WOW a NEW 5 series, it looks good." Just like when the new GS came out....how many people first liked it? Not many. I think personally the new 5 is awesome as is the new E. The next gen GS will probably not be my next car. MB and BMW have more features then Lexus and that's what I want.......more features.

However don't get me wrong I love Lexus and i know its quality is unsurpassed, and who knows if the new GS has a nice interior/exterior with just as many features as MB and BMW....I'm down for it. However I doubt it will, i mean a 97 E420, has Driver AND Pasanger side memory seats. A 2003 GS doesn't even have that. I mean comeon. I do hope Lexus makes the next GS to be comparable to MB and BMW.
Old 07-01-03, 09:44 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want more features like the new E or 5's then spring for the LS... GS is no comparison. Still, somewhat similair price range... Stay in the family.
Old 07-01-03, 10:39 AM
apatel
Pole Position

Originally posted by futuregs
blah blah blah, everyone complains about the new cars coming out look ugly. But when they come out everyone's like "WOW a NEW 5 series, it looks good." Just like when the new GS came out....how many people first liked it? Not many. I think personally the new 5 is awesome as is the new E. The next gen GS will probably not be my next car. MB and BMW have more features then Lexus and that's what I want.......more features.

Hopefully those features will work while you own the car From experience, BMW, MB and Audi have horrible electrical systems and the reason is they make them overly complicated by putting too many unnecessary gadgets. While those gadgets are cool, it sucks when they break down, and they will, and you have to keep going back to the dealer many many times. I like the way Lexus puts only what you need in there and nothing else.
Old 07-01-03, 10:55 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

"97 E420, has Driver AND Pasanger side memory seats."

I will take a stab and say most people can care less about that item. Driver side is enough.
Old 07-01-03, 11:44 AM
zmatrix
Pole Position

I think as with new cars, it would take some time to grow on you. When I first saw the 7 series bimmer, I was like wtf did they do to the car?!? But now after it's been on the road while, it grew on me alot. So perhaps the new m5 may just do the same. I can remember a few other cars that I distinctly hated the styling when I first saw the cars in the magazines but grew on me later on. The 2003 Honda Accord was one of the them and the 3rd gen Acura Integra back in 94.

Quick Reply: Man.....When Is Lexus Changing The GS?