GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Man.....When Is Lexus Changing The GS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-03, 11:49 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by TXSTYLE
Not that I'm a fan of it, BUT...............Bimmer realizes the "everimportant" Style/Update factor to keep current and new generation buyers interested.......

Absolutely, look at how quickly they replaced the current five with the new one. Oh, that's right, it took a while. And when they delayed the introduction to redesign Crown Prince Bangle's work what did Lexus do? Well, nothing. I would never want to try and make an argument that they wanted to see the new five in the flesh before they finalized the next GS. If you have to have the latest thing out, and a lot of guys here do, then just go buy the latest thing out. It's OK with us, really. I have had my GS4 for two years now and it is somewhat surprising that I don't have any new car cravings.

jpa2400 - I haven't checked the numbers yet but in the bimmer, e, A6, GS size comparo that list is in proper order for size from smallest to largest interior volume.
Old 07-01-03, 12:29 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The new 5 should be called Angry Salamander

Old 07-01-03, 01:54 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RON430 - I checked them out a while back, but after seeing them on the road, the new E looks small.

I could never cram myself in a IS \ 3 series \ C series... It seems like the E is a slightly bigger C and I mean slightly. This is all from looks on the road...

The LS is COMFY but the 2nd gen GS was pretty good on size and room.

Last edited by jpa2400; 07-01-03 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-01-03, 03:21 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

jpa2400 - We have about the same problem with the 3, C class, and IS (although I haven't spent too much time in an IS). I'll throw in the A4 as well. The E is definitely bigger than the C and the 5 is bigger than the three but actually not by much. The GS is about right while the LS gives stretch out room.

Without propagating much Euro (and particularly bimmer) bashing, one of the English car mags (forget whether it was Autocar or Car) made an interesting comment about I believe the Z4. The comment was that whether you love it or hate it, it was probably not going to have remarkable staying power. I never thought about it this way but I can certainly agree and think it applies across the bangled bimmer lineup. Whether you can live with one of these bangled designs or not, I don't expect bimmer is going to keep them around for very long, can't see them coming close to the outgoing models for longevity. Once the sales start to fall with the redesigns, I doubt a tummy tuck is going to get anyone back. The E is much more derivative and generally succeeds a lot more although I would hate to spend those bucks and have a lot of folks think I drive a Taurus/Sable.

Still nice to have choice. Whether the next GS is a star or a dud, I am in no big hurry to get one of the competitors.
Old 07-01-03, 04:36 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

I thought the old 5 was a classic. As well as the E. I think the new E looks good on the road, just seems small.

I really dig the 745 for the most part, it does have it's bugs but I think they almost had a knockout there.

I know cars are not getting bigger, for the most part. I look at it like this, if the new GS bombs, I still have the choice of a new Sport Design or look at an LS, I could come home with either of those and be happy.
Old 07-01-03, 04:43 PM
LexFather

The new 5 is 3 inches longer, including wheelbase, 2 inches wider and higher I think. The new E is also larger than it's predecessor. These cars were no longer than 190inches and PERFECT to me. ANything bigger is close to LS 430 length (196 inches long).

The current GS, A-6 previous 5,E and even the S-type are great designs.

It;s funny, all Benzs looked ALIKE BOXEY, now they all look alike AERODYNAMIC.

And this is still a problem

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/sho...ighlight=lexus

Last edited by LexFather; 07-01-03 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-01-03, 05:49 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

stay away from the evil, E stands for EVIL heheh im telling you.. I'll take an old benz any day, back in the 500E and such but ever since they joined Chrysler .. Last J.D. Power Initial Quality Study gave benz a rate of 132, 1 point better than industry average, think about it, chevrolet got 130..
Old 07-01-03, 07:03 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

TXSTYLE, you are on the wrong board. Don't even try to tell these people that their car is outdated, slower than the competition, not as pretty as the competition, hasn't won a comparison test in years, etc.. They don't want to hear it. Cause the NEXT GS will be so good looking, so powerful, etc. etc. etc, that to not choose (or to not wait for it) it would be silly. And geez, isn't the existing one good enough? I mean come on, single stage heated seats, boat steering, boat suspension, a throttle as responsive as a boat and THREE different color headlights! Come on! The car is perfect the way it is! Of course if you don't like it, just change the suspension it will still be cheaper than all of those cars - oh and don't forget about the Consumer Reports rating......

Seriously guys, every time someone mentions that the GS is way overdue, you all jump on him/her and then bash the competition. The car is indeed in need of a re-do. The next one will be great - I do believe that. But give the competition some credit. That E500 sure is sweet and the 5-series looks to be pretty darn nice as well.
Old 07-01-03, 07:17 PM
LexFather

Doug, I was waiting for you

Quite frankly, I am FRIGHTNED what the next GS will look like. I am sure it will lose the quad lamps. No e-shift on the 430 now may mean no e-shift on the next one.

I wonder if the E, 5, GS will be back to back to back Car of the Year winners like in 96, 97, 98?
Old 07-01-03, 08:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Originally posted by doug_999
And geez, isn't the existing one good enough? I mean come on, single stage heated seats, boat steering, boat suspension, a throttle as responsive as a boat and THREE different color headlights! Come on! The car is perfect the way it is! Of course if you don't like it, just change the suspension it will still be cheaper than all of those cars - oh and don't forget about the Consumer Reports rating......
So you must have been a genius to buy (or lease) one.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-01-03 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-01-03, 08:55 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Now, now, now bit. The Burning Block will punish doug if he can get the scratch together to return to the one true path, we can be magnanimous. But as any true bimmerphile can attest, whatever you have to endure from BMWNA is to be relished as part of the total ownership experience. Thank you sir, may I please have another!

Another thread ruined.
Old 07-01-03, 10:58 PM
zmatrix
Pole Position

Default m5

looks interesting
Attached Thumbnails Man.....When Is Lexus Changing The GS?-e60_089.jpg  
Old 07-01-03, 10:59 PM
zmatrix
Pole Position

another
Attached Thumbnails Man.....When Is Lexus Changing The GS?-e60_011.jpg  
Old 07-01-03, 11:00 PM
zmatrix
Pole Position

clear tail lights
Attached Thumbnails Man.....When Is Lexus Changing The GS?-e60_109.jpg  
Old 07-01-03, 11:01 PM
zmatrix
Pole Position

rear view
Attached Thumbnails Man.....When Is Lexus Changing The GS?-e60_067.jpg  

Quick Reply: Man.....When Is Lexus Changing The GS?