GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Man.....When Is Lexus Changing The GS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-03, 11:08 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like the front-end of the new 5-series, but I think they did a so-so job on the rear-end (it reminds me of the current Infiniti I35's rear-end).
Old 07-02-03, 08:56 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

doug_999,

I traded in my '01 GS300 for an A6 4.2 Quattro because of the "boat steering, boat suspension, and boat throttle response" that you described and after my first oil change I was wishing I had it back. Maybe the Audi had tight steering, stick-like-glue handling, and decent throttle response but it also had "Hyundai service, Hyundai service, and Hyundai service". Let's just call it a "We don't care if you paid $53,000 for your car. We'll still take 3 hours for an oil change and never give you a loaner car" attitude.

Here's the best part... when discussing problems I was having with the car, Audi service said "The Germans create the technology and the Japanese perfect it". Sure, you can say Audi is inferior to M-B and BMW, but the same holds true for all of them. (I also had an '00 330Ci with a rear wing that fell off while I was driving). That was enough of an experience for me to know that I don't need one of these new "technological marvels."

Traded the A6 after 8 months for an '03 SC430 and couldn't be happier!
Old 07-02-03, 09:42 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

“Here's the best part... when discussing problems I was having with the car, Audi service said "The Germans create the technology and the Japanese perfect it".”

I would like to see a Junkyard Wars between German and Japanese Engineers.
Old 07-02-03, 11:37 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

In all fairness, the Germans would make a superior device, but it would break before it finished the challenge (inevitably due to operator error). The Japanese wouldn't make it to the challenge in time because they would be building ten identical machines and would spend too much time getting unanimous agreement on all phases of construction.
Old 07-02-03, 11:38 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by doug_999
TXSTYLE, you are on the wrong board. Don't even try to tell these people that their car is outdated, slower than the competition, not as pretty as the competition, hasn't won a comparison test in years, etc.. They don't want to hear it. Cause the NEXT GS will be so good looking, so powerful, etc. etc. etc, that to not choose (or to not wait for it) it would be silly. And geez, isn't the existing one good enough? I mean come on, single stage heated seats, boat steering, boat suspension, a throttle as responsive as a boat and THREE different color headlights! Come on! The car is perfect the way it is! Of course if you don't like it, just change the suspension it will still be cheaper than all of those cars - oh and don't forget about the Consumer Reports rating......

Seriously guys, every time someone mentions that the GS is way overdue, you all jump on him/her and then bash the competition. The car is indeed in need of a re-do. The next one will be great - I do believe that. But give the competition some credit. That E500 sure is sweet and the 5-series looks to be pretty darn nice as well.

LOL! Naw, I don't think my peeps jumped all over me Doug. I would like to think that most folks here (particularly the veterans) respect my opinion as I do theirs. And I anticipated defense of the current GS, which is "All Good." As I stated before, it goes whithout saying my thoughts and my "overall" fondness for Lexus. I too hope they can come out with a BANG on the next Gen GS.......

And hey, I'm not gonna even front! Those above pics of that Silver 5 Series are SMOKIN!!! The rearend has shaped up nicely and those clear lenses are Hott! I guess like the 7 Series, the new 5 is now growing on me....and I haven't even seen one in person. But I too am not keen on the "various" quality control issues associated with BMW.

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 07-02-03 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-02-03, 01:14 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by RON430
In all fairness, the Germans would make a superior device, but it would break before it finished the challenge (inevitably due to operator error). The Japanese wouldn't make it to the challenge in time because they would be building ten identical machines and would spend too much time getting unanimous agreement on all phases of construction.
Old 07-03-03, 10:41 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Hate to bring it up guys but when the new GS finally does show up, it is going to cost more. All the hoopla aside, in the current CD the estimate for the new five are from 40K to 57K, base price. When I bought my 2k1 GS430 for 45K (50 out the door here in Cali) that was about the same price as a 530ia. A 540 was five to ten thousand more. So, if CD is right, my guess is that the 530 is going to be 53 to 58K out the door here in Cali and the 540 is going to be 68 to 73K out the door. If MT is right about that 10 cylinder M5 being 78 base, that means probably 90K to park one in your garage here. I don't mind waiting to see what the new GS looks like (not really in the car market now anyway) but I know when I get ready a not very top line GS V8 is likely going to be 60K out the door. Might be worth waiting for but if you are shopping now, the bargains are now, although the depreciation is going to steepen once the replacement is out. The other thing is that the old saw said there were two model years of a car to get, the first and the last. When you get the first you are driving the newest thing around. When you get the last, you get the one with all the bugs sorted out.
Old 07-03-03, 01:11 PM
LexFather

I'm with RonGS430. The RX 300 was a 40-42k SUV tops, the new one is up to 48k! Yeah it has lots of features but it went up in price. THe new ES starts at 32k not 29k like before. I expect the next GS to be near 60k loaded but it will start at 49k (well the V-8 version). I expect the GS 330 to start at 42k instead of 39k.

Lexus is well known enough now to not have to be substantially cheaper than BMW or Benz to win customers. Customers now pick Lexus cause it's the better car (well some of us, lol). A HUGE problem with Acura and Infiniti are their cars are too cheap and their flagship cars offer 5-10k discounts and consumers relate that to being cheap and sorry.

I am just so very frightned what the next GS will look like. Speaking of a long time, the IS 300 aka Altezza came out in 1997, it's do for a re-do soon, but it will come in coupe, sedan, wagon and convertible forms.
Old 07-03-03, 01:54 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
A HUGE problem with Acura and Infiniti are their cars are too cheap
You are sooooo right in this regard. I was all set to get the GS 430 when the G35 came out. Besides being 15-20K cheaper than the GS, it's about the same size, has a nice gutsy engine with very good handling and styling. Those, however, are the only pros. I also paid too much heed to all of the rumors of a new GS due out this fall.

So I took a gamble and lost big time. Infiniti's service is absolutely abysmal. My parents, brother, and sister own lexus and I see how well they are treated. Infiniti doesn't have a clue in this regard.

The only good thing that has come out of this is the fact that my next car will be a Lexus. The only question now is do I get one now or wait for the new one.
Old 07-03-03, 01:59 PM
SilverFlare
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e...e000143915.cfm
did u guys see this b4?

Last edited by SilverFlare; 07-03-03 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-03-03, 08:12 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
A HUGE problem with Acura and Infiniti are their cars are too cheap and their flagship cars offer 5-10k discounts and consumers relate that to being cheap and sorry.
Actually, I don't think that is as big of a problem as before. When I was shopping back in Dec, Infiniti was discounting the G35 about $1K and the Q45 only about $2K - in spite of having plenty on the lot. The Acura TL had great lease deals but they were not discounting it much either.

I think they have wised up and understand that killing the price just to move the car hurts a lot more down the road. Lexus of course knows this, and thus they have basically slashed the GS430 output since demand is not there. Still the car is now going for $6K below a sticker that is already $2K less than 2002.

Interesting also that in Dec the dealer was really pushing the LS430 since the GS430 was not available. Now I read that it (the LS) is one of the 10 hottest cars out (i.e. time on lot before selling).

Doug
Old 07-07-03, 12:45 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Default My $0.02

Originally posted by bitkahuna
The price I quoted was for the E500, not E55.

I don't agree at all, and not just because I have a GS so bear with me... The E500 pics you posted looks nice with those rims, but all the ones I've seen, including an E500 where I work, look more like a Hyundai, with small wheels! The new E seems smaller than an Accord! As has been pointed out, the GS430 is still competitive with the E500 and new 5 series, and certainly the A6 2.7T or A6 4.2 in terms of power, refinement. As far as reliability, maybe you haven't seen the latest JD Power results - Lexus won every category, and MB was right around the industry AVERAGE!

The Lexus stereo and nav are still the best on the market, and I notice you still can't get dimming side mirrors on an E class like on a GS.

The biggest problem I have with the stock GS look is that the rear wheels are inset too much. The H&R spacers make a VAST difference in the stock look. Apart from that, I think it's still very competitive, and LEAPS AND BOUNDS better in terms of quality.

I expect the next GS to be a home run again...
Here's my take on this. I had money down on an E55 for almost a year to reserve my spot in line. Within the past two weeks I've taken my deposit back. My reasons for this are as follows.

Pros:
Rocket Sled
Beautiful Styling (IMHO)
Four door
Warranty
Plenty of High Tech

Cons:
Not much faster/better handling/better braking than my car
$$$$$
High tech doesn't necessarily translate to something good (Eg. Brakes are 8 pot with fancy computer control. Doesn't stop as short as our stock GS and also longer than previous W210 E55)
Smaller than my car
Some of the materials are cheaper looking
Not as much of a sleeper

Ultimately it wasn't worth the cost to upgrade. Is is really nice? Oh yes! But after listening to some of the folks who got first delivery and their comments and looking at one in person I finally decided it wasn't worth the "upgrade".

Do I think Lexus is going to nail the next GS?!? I really doubt it. I'm very worried about the look of the next GS and the powerplant. I hope I'm surprised but I doubt it. I'm off to looking at what's next. The G35 Coupe is very appealing except for the current HP and the word Coupe (doggone family).

My search has re-commenced.

Last edited by Mr Johnson; 07-07-03 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-07-03, 12:52 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 311 Likes on 189 Posts
Default Re: My $0.02

Originally posted by Mr Johnson
Here's my take on this. I had money down on an E55 for almost a year to reserve my spot in line. Within the past two weeks I've taken my deposit back. My reasons for this are as follows.

Pros:
Rocket Sled
Beautiful Styling (IMHO)
Four door
Warranty
Plenty of High Tech

Cons:
Not much faster/better handling/better braking than my car
$$$$$
High tech doesn't necessarily translate to something good (Eg. Brakes are 8 pot with fancy computer control. Doesn't stop as short as our stock GS and also longer than previous W210 E55)
Smaller than my car
Some of the materials are cheaper looking
Not as much of a sleeper

Ultimately it wasn't worth the cost to upgrade. Is is really nice? Oh yes! But after listening to some of the folks who got first delivery and their comments and looking at one in person I finally decided it wasn't worth the "upgrade".

Do I think Lexus is going to nail the next GS?!? I really doubt it. I'm very worried about the look of the next GS and the powerplant. I hope I'm surprised but I doubt it. I'm off to looking at what's next. The G35 Coupe is very appealing except for the current HP and the word Coupe (doggone family).

My search has re-commenced.
Interesting comments Mr. Johnson. You mention that one of it's pros is that it is a Rocket sled. In the cons you say it is not much faster than your car. 476 HP compared to 300HP? Not sure what you are referring to regarding speed.........
Old 07-07-03, 01:49 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Default Re: Re: My $0.02

Originally posted by Hameed
Interesting comments Mr. Johnson. You mention that one of it's pros is that it is a Rocket sled. In the cons you say it is not much faster than your car. 476 HP compared to 300HP? Not sure what you are referring to regarding speed.........
Hameed see this and this for an explanation

Last edited by Mr Johnson; 07-07-03 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-07-03, 02:00 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 311 Likes on 189 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: My $0.02

Originally posted by Mr Johnson
Hameed see this and this for an explanation
Ah!!! Very sweet indeed! How much did that SC set you back? Would you do it again if you could go back in time? Somehow I cannot justify to myself the expense of installing an aftermarket SC in my car. Aside from the small problem that I can't afford to do that anyway.

Quick Reply: Man.....When Is Lexus Changing The GS?