GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Man.....When Is Lexus Changing The GS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-03, 10:26 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Man.....When Is Lexus Changing The GS?

I receive MT and Auto Week mag (personally my favorite and true to the #'s). So on the front cover of MT:
500hp V-10 with a picture of the new M5!
Autoweek has the upcoming MONSTER of ALL EXOTICS...Buggatti Veyron V-16.
My point about the Lexus GS...? I keep seeing advertising for the current GS in new magazines. This leads me to wonder just how many MORE years are they gonna hang onto this current platform and power?

And don't get me wrong people. You guys know I'm a veteran and just how much I loved my GS, but "Times are a changin" and this market segment in particular is, if not already has gotten fierce! Saw a 2003 Black Obsidian E500 and that shiz is off the meter! As I have stated before: Should Lexus unleash a "Beefier, Sexier, and Faster GS", I will be dropping down a deposit!

But I ask you my Lexus brethern..........When....................?

Old 06-30-03, 10:35 AM
LEXman13
Rookie

Amen!

and that is one beatifully Mercedes!
Old 06-30-03, 10:43 AM
LexFather

The new GS should be shown at Geneva possibly this fall but more likely the Tokyo show in December. I would think the Geneva show as Lexus is trying to go more GLOBAL.

Yeah, the new 5 and E are out but outside of being new, if it is not a M5 or an E55, I can't justify any reason to jump ship. Our old 4.0 V-8 makes 300hp, THEIR 5.0 V-8 makes 302 hp . So much for superior engineering. The new model is no faster than a GS 430 and more than likely not more fun to drive. The interior is nice but it's not like is blows away a basically 7 year old car. It does make up for the last gen E-class interior though. They want to make their cars faster but can't seem to make them remotely reliable (go to MB World to find out) for a 60k car. The front end reminds me of the GS a bunch. It looks like a larger C-class as well.

The new 5, we'll see but it looks too complex again, inside and out and with the I-drive. No more driver oriented cockpit (a pity). Sure it's new but I dunno. Their 545 will make 330hp though, it should be very quick.

I'm not bashing either, I love both. These sedans are among the cream of the crop.

But jump ship, no thank you.
Old 06-30-03, 10:44 AM
r00kie
Lexus Test Driver

Default AGREE

I totally agree, Lexus is so tight lipped about it, the anticipation is almost unbearable. I just hope that it doesn't disappoint.

PS...the e500 is definitely SIC if done right!

Old 06-30-03, 11:34 AM
ryemerritt
Driver School Candidate

Siclex i cannot agree more, you took the words out of my mouth thats exactly how i feel, plus the reliability is one of the biggest reasons i bought my lex.
Old 06-30-03, 11:36 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice E!
Old 06-30-03, 01:13 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm looking to get the new GS but I'm still undecided about waiting for the new model or just getting a current model. Not to add more rumors to the mill but I talked with my salesperson and he stated that the new GS will not be out until very late next year after I told him that the timing of the release would be crucial to my decision. I basically wanted a guarantee that a new model would not be showing up later this fall and he pretty much gave it to me.

The new E's are tight and they are very tempting. I hope the next GS will be on par with the styling and still retain the reliability/quality associated with the brand. I just wish they would bring it out already.
Old 06-30-03, 01:25 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

No problem for me. We just went through the natural cycle. So the new five and E are out there, and the A6 gets its new prom dress as well. The M45 is just not in this crowd but Lexus has a chance to decide where they want to position the GS and do it. When the current GS came out, the suspension was tuned for a Lexus customer rather than a bimmer customer but it did have that grin inducing 300hp. So the debate continues about whether a current gen 540 is faster than a GS (pretty much needs to be a stick, the auto is not really as quick - let the flames begin), but was anybody terribly concerned about pulling up to a stoplight next to an E430? If Lexus decides to up the ante (and they may or may not) the next GS eight will probably go to five liters and my guess would be at least 340hp. But that is a big guess and Lexus may not decide to play in that end of the market. So, if you are shopping now and all things in the ownership considered, if the E500 gets your panties in a bunch, go buy it. I can wait.
Old 06-30-03, 01:44 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish they would release some damn pictures. I been holding off for a while now figuring the best comes to those who wait. If the new GS style is brutal I am going to swing with a 2004 Sport Design, the Saddle Interior is WICKED.

AWD would be nice, anything north of 300hp is fine by me, the 4.3 liter engine now is fine. I am more worried about styling. If you take a great set of 19-20" wheels, a nice bodykit and proper lowering, nothing can beat the GS's style. Do that to a E or a 5 series and it won't even come close...
Old 06-30-03, 02:55 PM
JDZ25
Driver

I am in the same position as alot of the previous posts. I am on the fence about getting a GS now or waiting for the next generation GS.

I just wish we had some concrete info about the next generation GS. Everything that exists now seems to be pure speculation and is all over the map.
Old 06-30-03, 03:02 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

I was on a SUV kick after a crappy Michigan winter, but come spring time I still loved my GS.

I was looking at a LS430 hard, but I love new stuff. I would hate to buy a new car, any car, then see the GS come out and it be HOT, I could always sell for a loss and buy one, but I am not in a hurry. I just hope it is worth the wait.

I really wish I could get this in a 430! But the inside means more to me then power. I hope they have something like this in the next gen.
Attached Thumbnails Man.....When Is Lexus Changing The GS?-gs_gallery_se_i_color1.jpg  

Last edited by jpa2400; 06-30-03 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-30-03, 04:38 PM
ISDINGDONG
Rookie

i agreed with the members to stick with lexus. i figure it this way, if you are in the market for a car now and you want to stick with lexus, buy the current gs and say the new redisign gs will be due out late 04' or even spring of 05' and by that time you will be almost halfway done with your payments if you opt. for a five year payment plan, then wait an other couple of years and let lexus iron out all the minor problems, make adjustments and improvements. by that time your car's life cycly is due and ready for the new and perfected GS model.
thats my 2 cent.
Old 06-30-03, 04:40 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah but you miss being one of the FIRST to be driving the new GS around Only once in 5 years Well not the first, but you know what I mean..
Old 06-30-03, 05:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Even if the new GS came out tomorrow and was gorgeous, I'm not sure how many on here would buy it because it seems like most people on here don't buy a new one, and I for one would not buy the first year of a new model.

But TXSTYLE - comparing a GS to an M5 - isn't that a bit much? Also, the E500 is 56,600 list for the BASE model, which no one buys. You can easily add $5K on that, no problem*. Don't expect much discount because it's new. Plus tax takes you to $66000! That's a LOT of money. The interior of the new e-class is fairly nice, but I STILL prefer my GS. The MB nav is better than previous attempts (they have the biggest screen they offer in the E-class, bigger than the S-class!) but it's still not a touch screen.

It's true that Lexus doesn't, and likely won't ever, offer models to compete with the 'M' and AMG models. We have this same discussion every few months. If money wasn't much of a concern, I'd buy an E55 tomorrow though.

* click here for the prices on MB E class options:
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2003/merc...Mercedes-Benz*

How do you like the 'special order charge' of $1150 - described thus:

SOC Special Order Charge
A one-time surcharge applies when any one or more special-order options or color combinations are ordered. See dealer for details. REQUIRES Wedgewood Blue Metallic or (Platinum Blue Metallic and Charcoal) or (Midnight Blue and Ash) or (Everest Green Metallic and Ash) or (Desert Silver Metallic and Ash) or (Capri Blue Metallic and Pacific Blue) or (Capri Blue Metallic and Charcoal) or (Bordeaux Red and Ash) or (Black Opal Metallic and Ash) or (Black Opal Metallic and Stone) or (Black Opal Metallic and Charcoal) or (Brilliant Silver Metallic and Pacific Blue). Close This Window

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-30-03 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-30-03, 06:06 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Geez bit, it's a Merc. How are you going to hold your head up knowing you spent more than the next guy if you don't pay $1150 for Desert Silver Metallic and Ash? And even if MT is right and the new M5 is 78K (which I highly doubt) base, getting one in your garage here in Cal is probably going to be 90 to 95K which provides that inner glow as well as provide that bimmer aura when you gas up which is going to be frequently with 500hp. I feel so ashamed, my 2k1 GS4 and my wife's 2k3 GS3 were 90K combined with tax and license. Guess I am just too cheap for words. Mea culpa.

Quick Reply: Man.....When Is Lexus Changing The GS?