GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2001 GS300 Misfire Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-18, 07:07 AM
rabidwhale
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 GS300 Misfire Help

Hey everyone,
I just purchased a 2001 GS300 with 140K miles and it has a misfire. I was told by the previous owner that it needed a new ignition coil, but I still need to get the code read to be sure. Can anyone direct me to a write up or video on how to replace those? (Even if it's not the problem I'd still like to know how) I've found videos on how to change the spark plugs and wires, but nothing on the coil packs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-20-18, 06:37 AM
Yabito
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rabidwhale
Hey everyone,
I just purchased a 2001 GS300 with 140K miles and it has a misfire. I was told by the previous owner that it needed a new ignition coil, but I still need to get the code read to be sure. Can anyone direct me to a write up or video on how to replace those? (Even if it's not the problem I'd still like to know how) I've found videos on how to change the spark plugs and wires, but nothing on the coil packs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
hey men, 2jz they tent to backfire in a few matters, can be coil, can be sparks also the coils they have a small electric connectors that they tent to fail, or can be your ECU, but since yours that miles on it maybe the spark need change so start changing the sparks try using BRK6EIX-11 that engine love does sparks, VPOWER, sparks and platinum sparks they are a no no for then they work but I have experience they start dying so try the one I told u and if u can set the grade on then better, if u problem continue let me know, if u need to know how to change your sparks easy bro just youtube it, how to change spark on Lexus
The following 2 users liked this post by Yabito:
QLex300 (02-03-22), rabidwhale (02-20-18)
Old 02-20-18, 07:33 AM
rabidwhale
Driver School Candidate

Thanks man, I'm going to hopefully be able to go through it this weekend, I have another car to get together to sell. I plan on doing a full tune up, so I'm hoping it's just the spark plugs. I already bought 1 coil pack, just in case one is bad like the previous owner said.
Old 02-20-18, 07:40 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Follow the same videos for changing the plugs. You have to remove the coil packs before the plugs. Also beware the connectors on the coil packs get brittle over time and could quite possibly be the issue with the misfire. Very rarely it is the ECU. Get the car scanned asap....it will help with proper diagnosis.
The following 2 users liked this post by Letsride:
QLex300 (02-03-22), rabidwhale (02-20-18)
Old 02-20-18, 07:49 AM
rlr001
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It easy to replace most of the coils, just remove one bolt, pull off the coil, disconnect the electrical harness (be careful these can break, just press it in and pull back and fourth gently, it will come off). The ODB II code will tell you what cylinder is bad. One way to test this is to switch coils and see if the code moves with the bad coil to another cylinder. If you need to change the coils under the air intake it is a little harder, just need to remove all that unit (connection to filter box, 2-3 hoses, connection to throttle intake in to the engine...) I have replaced all my coils and the car ran like a top, my wife overheated our 2001 GS430 and it burned 3-4 coils up, so I replaced them all in case others were damaged. Sparkplugs are a potential issue too. After you take off the ODB II referenced misfire cylinder's coil, remove the spark plug and inspect it just to make sure its not the plug.
The following users liked this post:
rabidwhale (02-20-18)
Old 02-20-18, 09:40 AM
rabidwhale
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rlr001
It easy to replace most of the coils, just remove one bolt, pull off the coil, disconnect the electrical harness (be careful these can break, just press it in and pull back and fourth gently, it will come off). The ODB II code will tell you what cylinder is bad. One way to test this is to switch coils and see if the code moves with the bad coil to another cylinder. If you need to change the coils under the air intake it is a little harder, just need to remove all that unit (connection to filter box, 2-3 hoses, connection to throttle intake in to the engine...) I have replaced all my coils and the car ran like a top, my wife overheated our 2001 GS430 and it burned 3-4 coils up, so I replaced them all in case others were damaged. Sparkplugs are a potential issue too. After you take off the ODB II referenced misfire cylinder's coil, remove the spark plug and inspect it just to make sure its not the plug.
Awesome. Thanks so much. I've never dealt with coil packs before. I'm definitely going to get it scanned before I work on it.
Old 02-03-22, 10:34 AM
GS430Blue
10th Gear

Default PO's 1351, 1354, 300, 302, 304, 308

Hello.....I was driving in very cold snowy weather and my car VSC Off llight came on and car was rough idle. I pulled into Advance auto and pulled codes PO1351, PO1354, PO300, PO302, PO304, and PO308. If I am correct, this is most probably the VVT Bank 2 Sensor. Am I on the right track? Since PO1351 came up but without 301, 303, 305, or 307, should I still replace the VVT1?
Old 02-10-22, 01:29 AM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 247 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by rabidwhale
Hey everyone,
so you really want to get the codes read before taking any other steps. Determine what your dealing with. Most auto parts stores offer free scanning and help deciphering the DTC’s saved and help determining how other people with the same type vehicle and codes have done to correct the issue. They will do all this stuff for free, just hoping for a chance to sell u the possible solution. Which can be helpful if you haven’t dealt with something like this before. You want to be careful though, which is important to remember whenever your offered something for nothing. You want to avoid throwing expensive parts at a symptom hoping to buy the right part, and hit the solution while you still have some money the bank. They don’t hire technicians to sell their parts, so be skeptical of any advice spoken to you. Have them print out the repair data so you can use it as a guide to diagnosing the issue. If the car has a misfire, you’ll likely get a code like P0303, or similar and the repair data will suggest doing a full tune up and replace the entire ignition system, doing a full compression check on every cylinder and if that doesn’t fix it then there are many other possible culprits to replace. And doing a full tune up is good advice if the car is ready for it. But u don’t want to replace an expensive set of iridium plugs halfway through their lifespan if they aren’t your problem. So u can eliminate many possible culprits thru simply swapping them with other cylinders and then resetting the codes and seeing if the misfire has moved. In the how to section you’ll find a ton of info for doing specific work on your car and it’s options. If you’ll stop by a parts store and get it scanned and then share the info in this thread, we can help to pinpoint the problem and go through the solutions and not have to worry about any hidden agendas or anything like you’ll get from any business. Good luck with the new car