GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DANG IT, why can't people be more careful when they open their doors?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-03, 12:51 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DAMNIT, why can't people be more careful when they open their doors?!?!?!

man, last nite i went out and i made sure when i parked my car, i left plenty of space so that the car next to me won't hit my car with their freakin door. and low and behold....I GOT A FREAKIN DOOR DING! man, why can't people be more careful when they open their doors? i'm lucky that my paint did not get scratched, but there is a ding now the size of a dime. so pissed off.
Old 07-03-03, 12:58 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel your pain...but if you worry about these things on a regular basis..you'll be constantly dissapointed. Aren't you glad for bodyshops?
Old 07-03-03, 01:03 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate door dings too. I think the incidents of door dings has increased since parking spaces are now a little smaller (to accomodate more cars), cars are bigger (more SUVs), there are more "larger" people (they need to open the door wider to get out), and people just don't care (I bet they would be pissed off if theire cars were dinged up).

I just stopped caring because there is not much I can do about it except park far away from other cars.
Old 07-03-03, 01:15 PM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate them too and always park in "Wyoming" to avoid them. There are other factors that contribute to why these are more of a problem than they used to be. First, the material used in the doors, fenders and quarters is very much thinner than in the old days. Your had to really work at it to ding 60s and 70s cars. Also, there's design. Also, almost all cars used to have a protective molding. Today almost none do because we want "clean" designs. You can still buy them aftermarket but hardly no one does. If you're really worked up about door dings and don't like my "park in Wyoming" solution, there is an inflatable wrap around bumper device that you can install just when you park.
Old 07-03-03, 01:16 PM
HoracioGS4
Pole Position

i feel your pain brother....you park in space where no one is around, and lo and behold someone stupid comes along and parks right next to you and gives you a door ding, when looking around at the other empty spaces all over the place, that same person could have parked somewhere else. because of idiots i'm gonna have to shell out anywere between $75-$100 this week to fix a door ding.
Old 07-03-03, 01:55 PM
zmatrix
Pole Position

I believe we all feel the pain when dings come about. What's I believe is worse is when a co-worker of yours who knows you just got your car, decides to park like a lamer and gives you nice ding on a flawless door panel. That's what happened to me.
Old 07-03-03, 01:57 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by HoracioGS4
i feel your pain brother....you park in space where no one is around, and lo and behold someone stupid comes along and parks right next to you and gives you a door ding, when looking around at the other empty spaces all over the place, that same person could have parked somewhere else.
You are 100% correct on this one. The funny thing is, ITs ALWAYS A BEATER THAT PARKS NEXT TO YOU . Its like they want to make their 79 Pinto look better by finding a nice Lexus to park it next to. I bet you if a guy with a Tech Art Boxter parked next to you, there would be NO DOOR DING!!

Its just so funny, you park in the most awkward remote corner of the parking lot, then come outside and find a car RIGHT next to yours!! Makes you want to KICK IT!
Old 07-03-03, 02:20 PM
HoracioGS4
Pole Position

AMEN!
Old 07-03-03, 03:11 PM
Phillycat-24
Driver

Default dings

I feel what you are saying I have three damn door dings on my car.
Old 07-03-03, 04:25 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by DGOT20s
Its just so funny, you park in the most awkward remote corner of the parking lot, then come outside and find a car RIGHT next to yours!! Makes you want to KICK IT!
Me too!
Old 07-03-03, 06:09 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yah....i know how you feel bro....I got a nice ding and paint scrape on my driver door....even though there was sooo much damn space between me and this van.

Apparently, I big COW had to swing open her passenger-side doors to get out of the van.

Learn to accept it.....no matter how careful you are....there are @$$h01e$ out there that dont give a rip.

One solution is to get one of those damn talking alarms....My mother's neighbor has one....bugs the $h!T out of me when I hear it. It tells you "step away from the vehicle" when it senses someone walking past the car. Only problem I heard (from installers) about this alarm is that ppl get p!$$ed off at these alarms and kicks the car.

Go figure....Reverse psychology. Now instead of a ding....you can get a huge-@$$ (shoe print) dent. LOL!!!

Pete
Old 07-03-03, 06:09 PM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

yup. been there.. done that. and you know, the ones that seem to ding my car are not the young teen-agers... they are 35-90 year old (im)mature adults! They even do this even when I'm in the car and look at me as if it was my fault that they parked close to me.
Old 07-04-03, 09:12 PM
limoZeen
Driver School Candidate

usually i try to park like this

i find it works quite well. you get dirty looks.... then again they dont pay your insurance do they
Old 07-04-03, 09:13 PM
limoZeen
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by babyGS3
yup. been there.. done that. and you know, the ones that seem to ding my car are not the young teen-agers... they are 35-90 year old (im)mature adults! They even do this even when I'm in the car and look at me as if it was my fault that they parked close to me.
yep kids actually have respect for cars.
Old 07-05-03, 12:06 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I want to start a company called firstding.com. We pick up your car from the dealer, put a killer ding in it and then deliver it to your house. That way you don't give a crap about door dings afterwards. Firgure $100 for this service. Think of the piece of mind!

Fortunately, my Lexus dealer took care of this for me and when I went to pick up my car for the first time it had a nice ding that they had tried to touch up. They of course promised to fix it and scheduled an appt for me that very day! When I brought the car in to them, the door ding people looked at it and said "we can't fix this". At least they didn't charge me for the ding in the first place

Quick Reply: DANG IT, why can't people be more careful when they open their doors?!?!?!