GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Transmission pump blows every two months

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-18, 03:41 AM
Maher331
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission pump blows every two months

Hello i had a transmission rebuilt at 333k km and it did blow transmission pump then i replaced whole transmission with 60k km one after two months transmission pump did blow again, i did send it back to warranty and he said that both trannies had same pump blow and it should be another problem he did check the torque converter and was all good so he said that maybe free space in crank or the pulley the torque get mounted to idk what the problem yet i would like any help thanks
Old 03-07-18, 08:20 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

What does your flex-plate look like, are there any anomalies? Is the flexplate warped or bent. Is the TC bolting on with no problem? Hows the fluid pressure, is it too high, too low?
Old 03-07-18, 09:20 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Front pumps are pretty robust and live a long life if all is aligned well and they have clean fluid.

Were the coolant lines flushed? 333k km from the original is good. Likely not a block alignment issue. That said a bad flex plate or bum rebuild TC can kill a pump in no time.

I wish you luck.
Old 03-07-18, 10:35 PM
Maher331
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
What does your flex-plate look like, are there any anomalies? Is the flexplate warped or bent. Is the TC bolting on with no problem? Hows the fluid pressure, is it too high, too low?
When i did take off the tranny i found some of the torque bolts are not torqued good and they were hand removeable from the mechanic who did install it and i have another flex plate that i will install anyway thats my old plate. idk about fluid pressure but i think its normal thanks for trying to help
Old 03-07-18, 10:38 PM
Maher331
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Front pumps are pretty robust and live a long life if all is aligned well and they have clean fluid.

Were the coolant lines flushed? 333k km from the original is good. Likely not a block alignment issue. That said a bad flex plate or bum rebuild TC can kill a pump in no time.

I wish you luck.
I did clean the fluid lines before install and i will make my mechanic(another good trusted one) to check everything before install, can you explain what is TC bolts?(english not my main language) thanks for help
Old 03-07-18, 10:52 PM
Maher331
Driver School Candidate

Yes yes tc is torque converter sorry for dumb questions and it wasnt torqued good most of bolts were hand removeable from the ****ty mechanic thanks for help
Old 03-08-18, 12:04 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Was it new or remanufactured torque converter?
If the engine side locator hub (fits into crank) is not concentric with the pumps drive flange, the torque converter (TC) could easily destroy the front pump.

The wear points upon inspection of pump and TC should tell the story. Because your flex plate is not rounded or damaged at the TC bolt down locations, the bolt torque likely did not play a roll in the pump damage.

Another factor on a trans rebuild are the builder and the installer.
If the builder did not check clearance and the pump was too tight OR assembly lube was not adequate, the pump will be damaged.

If the installer did not seat the TC properly and tightened the bell housing bolts (trans to engine), the pump can be damaged.
Also if during startup the fluid was not added fast enough the pump can cavitate and be damage.

The workmanship of rebuilt TC, the trans builder, and the installer are all suspect until root cause is determined.

What was the exact failure mode of the pump? This is what we need to know to prevent it from happening again. That said, was the pump a new OEM Part or rebuilt?

Last edited by 2013FSport; 03-08-18 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-08-18, 12:06 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

By the picture I can not see the locating dowels on the engine side. If one or both are lost during the install, both the pump and TC will be damaged. Another mistake the installer can make.
Old 03-08-18, 07:25 PM
Maher331
Driver School Candidate

Thanks very much for help, the transmission is imported from japan got new one with 40k miles on it and as i did see while removing the tranny it had TC bolts not torqued at all most of them were lose and removeable by hand, it took about two months to destroy the pump with very hard driving and drifting i used to pull the most out of the car about every two days till it did blow the flex plate is in good condition i think the problem is TC bolts because they were loose. i did use same TC with the tranny and had it checked right now in trannies shop
Old 03-08-18, 07:34 PM
Maher331
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Was it new or remanufactured torque converter?
If the engine side locator hub (fits into crank) is not concentric with the pumps drive flange, the torque converter (TC) could easily destroy the front pump.

The wear points upon inspection of pump and TC should tell the story. Because your flex plate is not rounded or damaged at the TC bolt down locations, the bolt torque likely did not play a roll in the pump damage.

Another factor on a trans rebuild are the builder and the installer.
If the builder did not check clearance and the pump was too tight OR assembly lube was not adequate, the pump will be damaged.

If the installer did not seat the TC properly and tightened the bell housing bolts (trans to engine), the pump can be damaged.
Also if during startup the fluid was not added fast enough the pump can cavitate and be damage.

The workmanship of rebuilt TC, the trans builder, and the installer are all suspect until root cause is determined.

What was the exact failure mode of the pump? This is what we need to know to prevent it from happening again. That said, was the pump a new OEM Part or rebuilt?
I dont know exactly what the defect in the pump because i did straight sent it to warranty but fluid lvl was good all over the time if you can explain what you mean by engine side locater hub is not concentric with pumo flange, anyway im going to place flex plate because already have another one and got new pump by warranty installed soon also torque got checked in TC rebuilt factory to set everything good just need explantion for engine side locater.. thanks very much
Old 03-08-18, 08:19 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

is your rear diff. by any chance welded up?
Old 03-09-18, 01:16 AM
Maher331
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by badblackgs
is your rear diff. by any chance welded up?
No its all stock