GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-18, 09:23 AM
Moorelow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery replacement

I plan on running some music (voice speakers, bass and amps). My battery died today, lights very dim tried some booster cables from a friend but he thinks his cables aren't to good. When we boosted it all the lights went on nice and bright just barley cranks for a second or wont at all. I'm gonna try a booster pack today and see if it can get charged up. Anyway what you guys think is a good battery to be replaced ? I was thinking the optima red top 25 should be okay.
Old 03-08-18, 05:14 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Too many people go optima, too commercial IMO and personally have had too many problems with them, in the past. There are many other batteries you can do, however... I'd just measured the space I have (removing the battery carriage) and get the biggest battery I can fit. In addition, you should do The Big Three. Lets not get into why just adding a bigger or better battery isnt going to help with a system. If you want to do it the RIGHT way... Get a bigger alternator and call it a day. No need for anything different for a battery (in most cases). However, noone wants to fork the $400+ for a REAL high-output alternator. The next best, easiest and cheapest route to go is run some fat cable to the rear, buy a solenoid and add a second battery.

The problem is rarely a storage problem, but always a power-source delivery problem.
Old 03-08-18, 07:15 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

If your looking for door speaker adapters. You can get them here : http://www.car-speaker-adapters.com

I bought them for my door speakers. Many members have bought from the sane website. You have options for the speaker size you want to run. I think it's like 3 versions.
Old 03-08-18, 10:28 PM
shwalker07
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Myself and two of my other friends had problems with Optima red top batteries and none of us will ever buy those batteries again. I have always had great luck with AutoZone Duralast gold batteries and I keep that in my Lexus (3 years old), Supra (5 years old) and a few I installed in my relatives vehicles which has lasted a good amount as well. I would recommend you run a high quality high output alternator and a good capacitor with your sound system upgrade.
Old 03-09-18, 07:01 AM
Moorelow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shwalker07
Myself and two of my other friends had problems with Optima red top batteries and none of us will ever buy those batteries again. I have always had great luck with AutoZone Duralast gold batteries and I keep that in my Lexus (3 years old), Supra (5 years old) and a few I installed in my relatives vehicles which has lasted a good amount as well. I would recommend you run a high quality high output alternator and a good capacitor with your sound system upgrade.

Well good thing I didn’t get it! I went with the Duralast Gold like you did as well. I popped that thing in my gs and fired right up so smoothly!! 130.00 I had a gift card I never used with like 20.00 so I’m happy with that purchase! And yes you are super right about the alternator. What do you suggest to run on this car ? On my previous Honda I had someone rebuild me one which was oem put added more power to it and it was great! I wonder if I should do the same from a part out and have it rebuilt at least it’s oem.
Old 03-09-18, 07:02 AM
Moorelow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
If your looking for door speaker adapters. You can get them here : http://www.car-speaker-adapters.com

I bought them for my door speakers. Many members have bought from the sane website. You have options for the speaker size you want to run. I think it's like 3 versions.
thanks mike! Yeah I definitely have that bookmarked in my phone I wanna order some 6.5 voice speakers so I’m definitely gonna order that!
Old 03-09-18, 07:05 AM
Moorelow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Too many people go optima, too commercial IMO and personally have had too many problems with them, in the past. There are many other batteries you can do, however... I'd just measured the space I have (removing the battery carriage) and get the biggest battery I can fit. In addition, you should do The Big Three. Lets not get into why just adding a bigger or better battery isnt going to help with a system. If you want to do it the RIGHT way... Get a bigger alternator and call it a day. No need for anything different for a battery (in most cases). However, noone wants to fork the $400+ for a REAL high-output alternator. The next best, easiest and cheapest route to go is run some fat cable to the rear, buy a solenoid and add a second battery.

The problem is rarely a storage problem, but always a power-source delivery problem.
Yeah I went with the Duralast Gold battery! If anything I can run one of those super small Kinetic batteries or XS power. I definitely wanna do that alternator upgrade. What’s best to use with our cars ? I’m the past I just had my oem built with enough juice! And I have 0 gauge pure copper power and ground wires so I’m always good on feeding my
system nothing but power haha.
Old 03-09-18, 04:16 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Moorelow

Yeah I went with the Duralast Gold battery! If anything I can run one of those super small Kinetic batteries or XS power. I definitely wanna do that alternator upgrade. What’s best to use with our cars ? I’m the past I just had my oem built with enough juice! And I have 0 gauge pure copper power and ground wires so I’m always good on feeding my
system nothing but power haha.

I think you just made a new online boyfriend

I rarely hear Kinetics name, other than audio forums. As for alternators, just take a pick from the list. There are many:

Mean Green
Iraggi
DC Power (my personal choice)
and damn... I had a "few" too many... cant remember the rest
Old 03-10-18, 11:19 AM
Equalizir
Driver

I used to love Optima batteries. I had one in my '99 Sc300 and it lasted only a year. I'm rocking a Wal-Mart battery now and it's been fine. Will replace my "02 Gs430 with a walmart battery
Old 03-10-18, 11:47 AM
Moorelow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
I think you just made a new online boyfriend

I rarely hear Kinetics name, other than audio forums. As for alternators, just take a pick from the list. There are many:

Mean Green
Iraggi
DC Power (my personal choice)
and damn... I had a "few" too many... cant remember the rest

So I checked out DC website and I didn't see any GS alt's on there Those alt's look really well built a nice 180 would nice!
Old 03-10-18, 06:13 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Moorelow
So I checked out DC website and I didn't see any GS alt's on there Those alt's look really well built a nice 180 would nice!
Its been a while, but I was in a long conversation with them and IIRC, the Supra pin-style fits just fine on the GS... They have a killer customer service, I suggest giving them a call or send an email.

I'd recommend going after a high idle alt rather than a high output at high RPM. I also suggest reading up on their tech articles (if you havent already) to help choose your alternator. This explains why high idle output is better than high running output for day to day applications.