GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Valve cover gasket leak???

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-18, 06:31 PM
Louielace6
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Valve cover gasket leak???

A friend of mine replaced both valve cover gaskets a few weeks ago & he got an oil sensor light a few days ago & said there was a big puddle of oil under his 98 GS300
The spark plugs had oil in them as well as the wire boots
Could it be possible he didn't torque as well as he should have or do you think the excess oil under his car is a bigger problem?
Thanks Everyone
Old 03-19-18, 06:44 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Check how the gasket and cover are seated on the head. Its possible the gasket is getting pinched and creating a gap causing the oil to come out from that non sealed section[s]. Its a common mistake for people who don't do mechanics all the time. I'm willing to put money on it that that's the problem.
Old 03-20-18, 12:09 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Did he replaced the spark plug seals as well those will cause leaks? Also did he put FIPG on the contact areas as suggested? Not doing these will result in oil leaks.
Old 03-20-18, 03:55 PM
Louielace6
Driver

Originally Posted by BiGEZ
Did he replaced the spark plug seals as well those will cause leaks? Also did he put FIPG on the contact areas as suggested? Not doing these will result in oil leaks.
The spark plugs have seals on this motor?
i don’t think he did
FIPG he put on the front of one of the gaskets as he had already installed the other
Old 03-21-18, 04:26 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

There are seals in the valve cover that goes over the plug openings, these sometime leak oil.
Old 03-21-18, 07:31 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Thats mis information. The 2jz has NO spark plug seals. The covers are separate from the plugs.
The following 2 users liked this post by Letsride:
JonnyQuid (03-19-24), LilmissLex (04-13-18)
Old 03-21-18, 10:48 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by Letsride
Thats mis information. The 2jz has NO spark plug seals. The covers are separate from the plugs.
I stand corrected, I thought he was referring to the UZ motor. I should pay attention to the PO post. Thanks for correcting me on this.
Old 03-22-18, 01:40 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm with Mr Jokster, with that much oil leaking after the work, there is a gap at the valve cover.
Sometimes when installing the valve cover, the gasket(s) fall out of their groove and get pinched and sometimes cut when installing the valve cover bolts.

Worse case, beside running the motor with no oil, is the gasket is ruined and there is a big mess to clean up.
That oil in the spark plug valley needs to be cleaned up, towels, vacuum and or compressed air. Might even need to remove the plenum for better access.

Good luck
The following users liked this post:
Mr Jokster (03-22-18)
Old 04-13-18, 10:04 AM
LilmissLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the exact same car, the exact same problem. The valve cover gasket has been replaced and I went on a wild goose chase trying to figure out also if there were possible spark plug seals but there are none on this vehicle/ engine type. In my research of the issue, I have found that in the areas to the front and back of the valve covers (where they make half circles), there is commonly an issue of the gaskets failing to fully seal and leaking from those corner edges. It is recommended #1 to NEVER put too much torque on your aluminum gasket cover when placing the bolts back in as this can cause too much pressure in one area of the cover than the other and may lead to leaks in itself or cracking the valve cover. #2 use RTV gasket sealer around those half circles and in the edges of any of the sharp corners/edges around them before bolting down the valve cover. I am still working on deep cleaning my engine before putting it back together and attempting this fix myself but it is the most logical fix for the gasket leak issue I have found thus far. Also, I did see that the cam gear o ring may cause leakage issues but they usually appear outside and not inside the engine so that should not be the issue.
Old 04-13-18, 03:26 PM
Louielace6
Driver

Thanks for all the responses Dudes
It is very much appreciated
Old 04-23-18, 06:53 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I just had this same thing happen to me. Exhaust side was leaking and now the intake side is leaking. When I fix this again I should buy another gasket to replace the pinched one right?
Old 04-23-18, 09:30 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

If it is pinched yes. If the gasket is fairly new you may be able to get away with cleaning it and the surface and trying it again. A great test is to use the finger nail test. If it passes you can reuse the gasket.
Old 04-23-18, 11:04 AM
captainva
Instructor

Thanks for the advice Letsride. I'll just get a new one in that case
Old 04-30-18, 06:25 AM
captainva
Instructor

Just wanted to post this tip to help anyone else facing this issue. My gasket fell out and got pinched the first time around and after talking to one of my friends who used to be a mechanic, he recommended that I use Indian Head Shellac (http://a.co/6YM08i6). This stuff is really sticky and holds the new gasket in place so it can't fall out of the groove and get pinched. I hope this tip can help someone else
Old 04-30-18, 10:24 AM
LilmissLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here's your TRUE FIX:

Originally Posted by BiGEZ
's y

I have the same exact car, HAD the same exact problem and here's your solution:
#1: THERE ARE NO SPARK PLUG SEALS ON OUR ENGINE TYPE 2JZ-GE VVTi !!!! Don't waste your time trying to look for them! LMBO
#2: Where your issue is, no one would know unless you spent the least expensive price of about $150 on the manual!!!
***RTV silicone/gasket sealant should be used on the outside of the valve cover to seal all corners and edges around the front portions of the covers (between the valve covers and the belt box in front of them.) You will notice that those covers (closest to the bumper create 1/2 circles, you want to apply thick gobs or RTV in each of those corners and around those edges. They are known to leak in these areas and cause the spark plug wells to fill and of coarse cause misfiring issues until fully filled and then you may find your car will no longer run appropriately or at all due to failure in combustion and lack of spark (being dulled by oil soaking the spark plugs). This is what happened to me, she just filled up with oil on the way to family for Christmas and when it was time to leave, she would turn over but not run.

Quick Reply: Valve cover gasket leak???