GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Tinting Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-03, 09:20 PM
gsguy07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tinting Questions

I have a 2001 black lexus GS300 with black interior and would like to tint my windows. However, I do have some questions and would appreciate it greatly if someone could answer them for me:

1. What's the legal limit for California drivers? Can you do the front side windows or no? I probably wont tint the windshield, but I'm interested in knowing the legal limit for all the windows, and if you're allowed to do the front side windows.

2. What's a good % to get? I don't want something to dark cause it'll be difficult to back out and stuff at night, but I dont want something that barely looks tinted either. What's a good % where I'll be able to drive comfortably but it will still look good? I was thinking about doing 30% or so on all four windows, but your input would be more helpful.

3. I'm not very knowledgable on tinting, so is there a specific kind that looks best? Is there a certain name of a type of tinting I should ask for?

4. How much will it likely cost me?

5. How long does it usually take for the place to tint my windows?

6. Does anyone know any good places in the San Fernando Valley in California?
Old 07-05-03, 09:24 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Try the "SEARCH" function. There's a lot info on tint that has been discussed.
Old 07-05-03, 09:28 PM
gsguy07
Driver School Candidate

I read some of them, but none of them really helped me... i got the basic info, but i'm looking for something a little more specific based on what I'm looking for, so if you could help, i'd appreciate it. I think even if its illegal, I still plan on doing the front side windows just so it looks balanced and cleaner.

Also, by any chance does anyone hear know of any good tinting places in the San Fernando Valley?

Also, is it worth it to get the front side windows tinted in California? I know it makes it look nicer, but I dont want to get tickets... I'm a younger driver as well, so cops will love to give me a ticket. Is there any tint that I can get thatll look good but legal in California? Like does 70 for the front side windows and 30/30/30 for the 3 other windows look good?

Last edited by gsguy07; 07-05-03 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-05-03, 09:57 PM
gsguy07
Driver School Candidate

Also, what brand is best for a black on black GS? Titanium, Formula 1, or so on?
Old 07-05-03, 10:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Re: Tinting Questions

Originally posted by gsguy07
I have a 2001 black lexus GS300 with black interior and would like to tint my windows. However, I do have some questions and would appreciate it greatly if someone could answer them for me:

1. What's the legal limit for California drivers? Can you do the front side windows or no? I probably wont tint the windshield, but I'm interested in knowing the legal limit for all the windows, and if you're allowed to do the front side windows.

2. What's a good % to get? I don't want something to dark cause it'll be difficult to back out and stuff at night, but I dont want something that barely looks tinted either. What's a good % where I'll be able to drive comfortably but it will still look good? I was thinking about doing 30% or so on all four windows, but your input would be more helpful.

3. I'm not very knowledgable on tinting, so is there a specific kind that looks best? Is there a certain name of a type of tinting I should ask for?

4. How much will it likely cost me?

5. How long does it usually take for the place to tint my windows?

6. Does anyone know any good places in the San Fernando Valley in California?
1. the legal tint in CA is anything in the rear window and the two rear side. the front sides can't be anything more than 70% (meaning you can't tint coz' the factory windows are already lightly tinted). the front you can only tint the upper 6 inches i believe, other than that you are not allowed to tint anything

2. ~30% is usually what people have. with black interior to me that's too dark. but then the next level is about 40% and it's usually too light for most people

3. hard to say, depends on different tinting shop. the one i usually go to, it's usually something metallic

4. which part of cali are you in? in south cal you looking at around 120 to 150 bucks. in norcal you looking at a lot higher. this is for tinting 5 windows (all the sides and the back)

5. from the time they start working on your car to finishing it's about 1 to 2 hrs most

6. nop, but i know there are couple of good ones in rosemead?
Old 07-05-03, 11:12 PM
gsguy07
Driver School Candidate

I'm from southern california, the san fernando valley to be exact. I'm not really familar with the city of Rosemead. I've been searching google for a while to find a tinting place in the valley but I can't find any, and even I did I'd want to make sure it has a good reputation.

I know it's illegal, but how would it look good if I were to get a 50% tint on my front side windows, and then 30% on the rear side windows, and rear window? Cause I was thinking it might look better if there is some tint in the front side windows, but it isn't enough tint to cause me to get a ticket unless the cop just wants to mess with me. However, would the contrast of 50% and then 30% look good? Or am I better off just doing nothing in the front windows, and 30% in the back?
Old 07-05-03, 11:18 PM
gsguy07
Driver School Candidate

Also, should I have any trouble backing out at night with 30% tint in the back or no? I know limo tint makes it very hard to back out at night, but what about 30%? Do you even notice it's tinted when you're backing out or no?
Old 07-06-03, 12:29 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Tinting Questions

Originally posted by rominl
1. the legal tint in CA is anything in the rear window and the two rear side. the front sides can't be anything more than 70% (meaning you can't tint coz' the factory windows are already lightly tinted). the front you can only tint the upper 6 inches i believe, other than that you are not allowed to tint anything

2. ~30% is usually what people have. with black interior to me that's too dark. but then the next level is about 40% and it's usually too light for most people

3. hard to say, depends on different tinting shop. the one i usually go to, it's usually something metallic

4. which part of cali are you in? in south cal you looking at around 120 to 150 bucks. in norcal you looking at a lot higher. this is for tinting 5 windows (all the sides and the back)

5. from the time they start working on your car to finishing it's about 1 to 2 hrs most

6. nop, but i know there are couple of good ones in rosemead?
I went to Cali Tint in Rosemead and had them do a titanium tint all the way around my car. The fronts are a lighter shade than the rears.

Bryan
Old 07-06-03, 04:59 AM
Tranman

Also, should I have any trouble backing out at night with 30% tint in the back or no? I know limo tint makes it very hard to back out at night, but what about 30%? Do you even notice it's tinted when you're backing out or no?
I currently have 17% all the way around on my Eclipse. Pretty dark, but it isn't so bad looking through the back at night/backing up. I used to have limo tint (5%) on a previous car and that was a PITA to deal with....either backing up or seeing through it at night. If a car didn't have his headlights on, I wouldn't see him.

I'm going with a 50/50/35 setup. I know that it isn't all that dark...but I don't want it to be. I just want to darken up the windows a bit....not really going for privacy, more just as a look....but not look illegal.
Old 07-06-03, 11:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i went to california tint on rosemead once too, pretty good place. pm gs4will as well, he knows a place too

i have 30% on both my previous acura and the gs4 now, and i have no problem backing up at all, very clear. having 50 in the front is really like nothing, you can barely tell it's tinted. personally i would just take the risk and do something all around, i don't like the different color front and back. for example my is3, it's black interior and i am getting 40% all around.

with 30% tinting, at day or night you WILL notice that it's tinted when you look into your rear view mirror, but still it's very nice and clear.
Old 07-06-03, 01:14 PM
gsguy07
Driver School Candidate

My car is black, and it already has black interior (and also black emblems) so would 30% tint make my car look too dark? Also, I don't want to take the risk of having 30% tint in my front side windows just cause I have a feeling cops will notice it... does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it to look good without getting cops to notice it? Does anyone have any pictures of something similar to a 50%/30%/30% type thing? Also, how much of an influence does my interior color have on the tint? Because I have black, will it make a big difference? If so, would a 40% tint all around look good still?

Last edited by gsguy07; 07-06-03 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-06-03, 02:27 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you ever visit san gabriel valley, let me know as i have blk/blk car too..you need to decide if you want "blk/traditional", "titanium/has metal and soem greenish hue", or "quantum/reflective" type tint.

70% is basically clear film. to be safe, i would suggest medium in the rear wind shield(30%), and light on the 4 sides(50%)..this way the car looked more "balanced"..due to the fact you ahve blk int, you want to play safe with the cops

btw, i have quantum metallic tint
Old 07-06-03, 02:42 PM
gsguy07
Driver School Candidate

what type of tint would you suggest looks best for black/black? I would like the tint to be black and never fade into purple. Also I don't have a nav system, so I could have a metallic tint if that is better? What would you suggest?

Also, right now I'm strongly considering just doing 40% - 45% (whatever they have) for all the windows except the windsheid... how would that look on a car that's black/black? Would cops notice it?

Last edited by gsguy07; 07-06-03 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-06-03, 05:00 PM
Wald GS

what type of tint would you suggest looks best for black/black? I would like the tint to be black and never fade into purple. Also I don't have a nav system, so I could have a metallic tint if that is better? What would you suggest?

Also, right now I'm strongly considering just doing 40% - 45% (whatever they have) for all the windows except the windsheid... how would that look on a car that's black/black? Would cops notice it?
I would reccomend a titanium tint. I was in your position and really had to decide. Mirror/quantom tints are more suited towards silver cars (ie. RX300). Charcoal tint was too normal and non-shiny for me.

With a titanium tint, it has a little bit of the charcoal and mirror tint all in one.
Old 07-06-03, 05:01 PM
Wald GS

here are 2 pics.
Attached Thumbnails Tinting Questions-springatindustry1.jpg  

Quick Reply: Tinting Questions