GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Homelink not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-18, 11:14 AM
BrotherAli
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homelink not working

I am trying to program homelink. I hold both button 1 and 3 together and clear the memory. My issue occurs when I hold one of the homelink buttons while holding the garage door button, it flashes slowly and never starts to flash fast.

Anyone else run into this issue?
Old 03-25-18, 07:08 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

It takes a while...like 30-40 seconds. If you continue to hold the button down eventually it will flash very fast. But IIRC it seemed to take longer than usual.
Old 03-25-18, 09:16 PM
shwalker07
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

It took a few times on mine to program. On some garage door openers you also have to push a button on the garage door opener unit itself to allow programing. This is how it was on my Genie intellicode unit.
Old 03-26-18, 01:55 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Also, try pressing the remote button a few times while holding the button in your GS. That's how I eventually got mine to take.
Old 03-27-18, 07:30 PM
Ilemon33
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shwalker07
It took a few times on mine to program. On some garage door openers you also have to push a button on the garage door opener unit itself to allow programing. This is how it was on my Genie intellicode unit.
More than likely what your issue is. Most modern garage systems have to do this.
Old 04-03-18, 02:36 AM
brainsurge
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Could someone explain this to me, since i don't know what homelink is
Old 04-03-18, 06:23 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by brainsurge
Could someone explain this to me, since i don't know what homelink is
since you're in Germany you may have the sun glass holder instead of the garage door opener that the American market has, on your overhead console do you have a 3 button system at the bottom or a sunglasses holder? i ditched my home-link and bought a sun glass holder one
The following users liked this post:
brainsurge (04-03-18)
Old 04-03-18, 07:11 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 865 Likes on 652 Posts

First check the color of the antenna wire hanging down from your opener motor unit.

1) If it is white or gray, a dull color we can go on with the standard procedure.
a) Change the portable opener battery,
seems odd but while it may be strong enough to reach 30 feet to open the door it may not trigger the HomeLink learn.
b) Try pressing the remote button repeatedly, some do not transmit continuously (to save the battery) and the HL needs more time.
c) If you do not have a functional remote but have a wall mounted keypad you can pull that off the door frame and use it just like
a remote to teach the Homelink

2) If the wire is a bright color, red/yellow/orange you have a newer higher frequency system.
Go to the opener manufacturers website or store and look for a frequency changing "repeater" or "bridge"
Small nightlight sized 110v adapter that changes the HomeLink signal to one that the opener responds to.

Helpful hint on Homelink buttons that are on the mirror rather than in the roof or visor:
Consider programming the button nearest the center of the mirror rather than the one closest to the driver.
When you are pushing the button forcefully with your gloves on the mirror will be less likely to move out of position.
The following 2 users liked this post by mcomer:
fwood (07-20-20), RJMacReady (07-11-23)
Old 02-19-20, 07:04 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by shwalker07
this is the way it is on my garage door opener as well. I have a genie with the "intellicode" rolling code technology and with that usually u have to first get up there to the opener for the door itself and press the "learn" button until one of the lights starts flashing and then press the homelink button inside the vehicle to program it; then it should work. I know it did for me anyway.
Old 02-19-20, 07:39 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Newer doors with rolling door codes may not work with older homelink systems
Old 02-19-20, 07:41 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Since I last commented on this thread my Genie garage door opener failed and the company I called installed a LiftMaster. The installer told me LiftMaster will only work with 2010+ and newer cars. So instead of programming my car, instead I purchased an internet gateway and installed the myQ app and now I can open the garage door from anywhere from my phone. It also sends me alerts when the door is opened or closed. This really helps if I can't be home and need to let family in. Love it.

The following users liked this post:
fwood (07-20-20)
Old 02-19-20, 08:39 AM
8M6
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin3344
Since I last commented on this thread my Genie garage door opener failed and the company I called installed a LiftMaster. The installer told me LiftMaster will only work with 2010+ and newer cars. So instead of programming my car, instead I purchased an internet gateway and installed the myQ app and now I can open the garage door from anywhere from my phone. It also sends me alerts when the door is opened or closed. This really helps if I can't be home and need to let family in. Love it.
It also depends on when the garage door opener was manufactured. I have a LiftMaster 3800 jackshaft opener that was installed in 2011. It has a purple learn button and it works fine with my '98. Your opener most likely has the round yellow learn button. I also got a Chamberlain myQ hub for my opener last year as well which works great for all the reasons you mentioned.
Old 02-20-20, 06:03 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Muffinizer
Newer doors with rolling door codes may not work with older homelink systems
mine does on my rx. I was able to program mine just fine and it works perfectly.
Old 02-20-20, 07:26 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by matts6887
mine does on my rx. I was able to program mine just fine and it works perfectly.
It depends on what door opener you have installed and what system it uses like has been said. Not all new doors work
Old 03-10-20, 12:46 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Not a GS, but figuring my 2008 IS250 homelink works the same:

Bought a new house in 2018 and was able to program my 2008 IS250's homelink with no problems. But the last three months, the entire thing barely works when I'm pulling up to open it. I have to either drive right up to the door, or back up and down the driveway several times for it to finally engage. When backing out in the morning, there is absolutely no delay or problem. It's just when coming home at night, it barely works. Some nights better than others, but not instant with a long range like the first year.
What could be causing this? Again, it worked just fine for a full year and still works fine when backing out in the morning and closing it.
Appreciate any info. Really driving me nuts and I'm starting to use the Genie remote when it's not working (which works right away).

Quick Reply: Homelink not working