GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Dropped the steering column and now it won't line up with the bolts

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-18, 05:40 PM
Askur44
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropped the steering column and now it won't line up with the bolts

So I replaced my dash and removed the 4 nuts that are holding the steering column in place. Now that it's time to put everything back together, it is the bolts and the nuts won't line up. It's about a half inch short even after I keep pulling on the steering wheel towards me. Anybody have idea about what happened or how to fix?

You can see the 4 studs that are welded to the vehicle and also you can see the 4 holes that are part of the steering column.
Old 03-28-18, 08:57 PM
Askur44
Driver School Candidate

Default I lined up the bolts on the steering column.

I finally got the bolts to line up. Now this separated. Anybody know what im looking at?

Looks like it separated. Not sure if it's repairable or if I have to replace the part. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-28-18, 09:31 PM
shwalker07
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

The picture in post 2 is the steering shaft going to the rack and pinion. Make sure you line that piece up first then attach the 4 bolts under the dash. Also there is in and out play in the steering shaft so make sure it is not stuck at the end of it.

Also I am sure you know but make sure your wheels are straight and your steering wheel is straight before you slide that steering shaft back on.
Old 03-29-18, 03:26 AM
Askur44
Driver School Candidate

In picture 2 is that joint supposed to be tight when inserted into the other piece? I've tried putting it in but it won't enter fully or it will slip out when the tilt mechanism is in use.
Old 10-19-19, 01:35 PM
GeniusGS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Askur44
In picture 2 is that joint supposed to be tight when inserted into the other piece? I've tried putting it in but it won't enter fully or it will slip out when the tilt mechanism is in use.
I need to know this exact same thing. Mines just slipped out and won't reach the bottom part coming out the hole. It's like an inch or so too short.
Old 10-19-19, 01:38 PM
2gz
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I ended up going to the junk yard and pulling a new shaft instead. I put it back together starting at the rack and pinion and it fit. Good luck it was a pain in the *** to try and use the sperated one
Old 10-20-19, 07:29 PM
jaroncc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GeniusGS
I need to know this exact same thing. Mines just slipped out and won't reach the bottom part coming out the hole. It's like an inch or so too short.
The problem is the gold/silver shaft at the distal end of the column. It actual slides in and out, you'll have to twist and pull and jerk it to release it, it can be extremely difficult. I had to drop my entire column to release it but I'm still a little short. When i changed my rack and pinion my intermediate shaft came apart at the yoke under the dash (has the rubber insert etc) total nightmare. Now that its all back together I'm still like 3/4 of inch short, I'm loosing my hair....