GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Gs430 High Beam Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-18, 09:38 PM
blazen8899
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gs430 High Beam Problem

I have searched this forum high and low looking for any answers on this... my gs is being a little bit of a pain in the rear. I have no high beams headlights at all, I have checked and replaced all relays and fuses to no avail. Hitting the high beam switch does not illuminate the high beam indicator in the dash or anything. This is one with the daytime running lights as well, I have also been searching for a wiring diagram on the combination switch to no avail. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-12-18, 11:59 AM
blazen8899
Driver School Candidate

Just replaced the headlight dimmer switch as well, still no high beams... does anybody on here have a wiring diagram for the headlight and relays? My dimmer switch isn't even tripping my high beam relay.
Old 04-13-18, 12:39 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

have you replaced the actual High beam stalk yet? i posted the wiring diagrams someplace as i had the same issue with my fogs i never got fixed. tried fuses, relays, bulbs, plugs, new stalk and finally said F it
Old 04-13-18, 02:06 PM
blazen8899
Driver School Candidate

I would have to assume by stalk you mean the combination switch on the steering column, if that is the case then yes.... I have replaced all fuses for headlights low and high side, and the 2 30 amp drl fuses in the box by the battery (it didn't even have those) and both headlight relays... the only thing I have not replaced is the drl relays
Old 04-29-18, 12:55 PM
blazen8899
Driver School Candidate

I also forgot to add that my DRL's are not working as well, I am not sure if this would have anything to do with why my high beams do not work.... I am at a total loss here
Old 04-29-18, 03:29 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like you replaced/checked everything other than relays. Wiring/connections could be bad too. Read here and check if everything is working as it should (just follow the voltage, it's tedious but not hard):

1. DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHT OPERATION
When the engine is started, the generator signal is input from the body ECU No.2 to TERMINAL 5 of the daytime running
light relay (Main). At this time, when the parking brake pedal is depressed (The parking brake SW is on), the relay is not
activated and the daytime running light system does not function. When the parking brake pedal is released (The parking
brake SW is off), the signal is input to TERMINAL 4 of the daytime running light relay (Main). This activates the relay to turn
on the DIMMER DRL NO.2 relay. The current flows from the battery into the MAIN fuse to DRL NO.2 fuse to DIMMER DRL
NO.2 relay (Point side) to H–LP L UPR fuse to TERMINAL 2 of the headlight LH (High) to TERMINAL 1 to TERMINAL 1 of
the headlight RH (High) to TERMINAL 2 to TERMINAL (A) 5 of the daytime running light relay No.3 to TERMINAL (A) 3 to
TERMINAL 1 of the daytime running light resistor (USA) or short connector (Canada) to TERMINAL 2 to GROUND. The
headlights light up more dimly than usual as the engine is started.
Once the daytime running light system has been activated, the headlights are remained lit even though the parking brake
pedal is depressed (The parking brake SW is on). Even if the engine is stopped and the generator signal is cut off with the
ignition SW set at ON, the headlights are remained lit. When the ignition SW is turned from ON to OFF, the daytime running
light system is stopped and the headlights go off. If the engine is started with the parking brake pedal released, the daytime
running light system starts functioning and the headlights light up as the engine is started.
2. HEADLIGHT OPERATION
* Light control SW is set at HEAD.
When the light control SW is set to HEAD position, the signal is input to TERMINAL 15 of the body ECU No.2. This
activates the body ECU No.2 and turns on the HEAD LP relay. When the signal is input to TERMINAL 2 of the daytime
running light relay (Main), the daytime running light system is deactivated and headlights LH and RH (High) go off. At
this time, the current flows from the battery into the MAIN fuse to HEAD LP relay (Point side) to H–LP L LWR and H–LP
R LWR fuse to TERMINAL 1 of the headlights LH and RH (Low) (except HID type) or TERMINAL 2 of the HEADLIGHT
CONTROL ECU LH and RH (HID type) to TERMINAL 2 (except HID type) or TERMINAL 1 (HID type) to GROUND, to
turn on the headlights (Low beam).
* Dimmer SW is set at HIGH.
When the light control SW is set to HEAD position, the current flows into the daytime running light relay No.3 and No.4
(Coil side) to turn on the relay as the headlights (Low beam) light up. At this time, when the dimmer SW is set to HIGH
position, the signal is input to TERMINAL 8 of the daytime running light relay (Main). This activates the DIMMER DRL
NO.2 relay to flow the current from the battery into the MAIN fuse to DRL NO.2 fuse to DIMMER DRL NO.2 relay (Point
side) to headlights LH and RH (High) to daytime running light relay No.4 (Point side) to GROUND, to turn on the
headlights (High and low) and high beam indicator light at the same time.
* Dimmer SW is set at FLASH.
When the dimmer SW is set to FLASH position, the current flows from the battery into the MAIN fuse, HEAD LP relay
(Coil side) to TERMINAL 9 of the combination SW to TERMINAL 17 to GROUND in that order to turn on the HEAD LP
relay.
Additionally, the signal is input to TERMINAL 8 of the daytime running light relay (Main) to activate the relay and turn on
the DIMMER DRL NO.2 relay. In the same manner as the dimmer SW set at HIGH position, the headlights (High and
low) and high beam indicator light are turned on at the same time.
Old 04-29-18, 04:35 PM
blazen8899
Driver School Candidate

I'll have to check this out tomorrow, do you by chance have the diagram / schematic for that? Would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-29-18, 06:16 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

See attached
Attached Files
Old 04-29-18, 07:12 PM
blazen8899
Driver School Candidate

Thank you very much! Hopefully I can figure this thing out haha.
Old 04-30-18, 10:04 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Originally Posted by blazen8899
Thank you very much! Hopefully I can figure this thing out haha.
You're welcome, good luck. Just follow the voltage .
Old 06-03-18, 05:56 PM
blazen8899
Driver School Candidate

Well after hours of tracing wires and diagrams on my days off I went ahead and replaced the drl main relay (the green box behind the glove compartment) and that fixed the problem.

Was weird because I had voltage, but not enough to kick the relay under the hood.
So if somebody else has the same issue (no high beam light on dash, no DRL's, no high beams) check this little box. Was about $5 used online.
Part number is 82642-33020

Thanks everybody for the help!