GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Is Lexus GS mkII is worth buying over mkIII ? After years its still worth buying ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-18, 11:46 PM
rryba
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is Lexus GS mkII is worth buying over mkIII ? After years its still worth buying ?

Hello, i am looking for my new daily car, last 6 years i am driving civic coupe with changed exhaust which past years is cool now drives me crazy I am looking for something more luxury and i am always in love with lexus GS mkII, but i need realiable daily car for few next years. Its worth buying over other cars in that price ? Is mkII worth only as classic weekend car ? I can afford even GS mkIII but its worth to pay extra for next generation ? I know its newer, but its better as a daily ? What guys do you think ? Any sugestion would be great and helpful. Thanks !
Old 04-09-18, 06:22 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 270 Likes on 236 Posts

The 2GS is known for being very reliable and would make a good daily as long as you don't mind paying for premium and the gas mileage. They're pretty thirsty. They have a couple of trouble spots but those are all easily addressed. I can't comment on the 3GS but being a Lexus I'm sure they're also reliable. I think the 3GS lost the cool factor and just seems more pedestrian to me
Old 04-09-18, 07:40 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

It’s personal preference both 2GS and 3GS are reliable (most Lexus vehicles really). My GS400 has been my daily for 18 years it’s very reliable. Of course it still needs maintenance just like any other car (oil changes, brakes, etc) but it just doesn’t break down which is why I bought it. If something were to happen to it I would look for another 2GS with 150k or so with excellent service history. I just like the style and know the vehicle.
Old 04-10-18, 01:43 AM
rryba
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks you guys ! You nearly conveiced me its right decision to search mkII. Can i ask what are you missing in mkII ? I see its not possible to run andoid (google maps) and back camera in cental navi unit (both in mkII and mkIII) but mkII doesnt have vent seats as mkIII does.
Old 04-10-18, 02:51 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rryba
Thanks you guys ! You nearly conveiced me its right decision to search mkII. Can i ask what are you missing in mkII ? I see its not possible to run andoid (google maps) and back camera in cental navi unit (both in mkII and mkIII) but mkII doesnt have vent seats as mkIII does.
If you really want all that latest tech, you need to look for a newer, probably more expensive car. Personally I never did like the Mark III GS, the styling was kind of generic blah, it looks almost exactly like a similar year Jaguar XF, not sure who was ripping off who, but IMO they are both kind of crap designs. The Mark II GS, IMO is a much more stylish car, while from an older era, it has some solid creases and better proportions IMO. Fit it with some newer model Lexus 17" or 18" wheels and it looks a lot more contemporary vs the factory 5 spoke 16" wheels.

Also I think the Mark II Lexus GS was a lot better built than the Mark III. Just something about the thunk of the door, the interior materials, the center arm rest, the leather, the wood grain, the plastics, its just all that much nicer on the Mark II cars IMO.

Right now, finding that REALLY NICE Mark II GS is a nationwide search, be prepared to travel for the right car. A Mark III car is much newer, and maybe a bit more likely to pop up in your area.

Also as far as engine options Mark II, make sure you get the V8. Has a lot more power than the 2JZ-GE inline six, but gives about the same gas mileage. On the Mark III avoid all 2006 models with the V6, it was a one year only weird trouble prone engine, 2007+ model V6's are pretty quick. Any of the Mark III V8 cars are also pretty stout mechanically, but were produced in very limited numbers. 2007+ Mark III V6 cars are pretty good stuff, about 300hp in that V6 version.
Old 04-10-18, 07:19 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Honestly I just prop my phone up in the area where the shifter and ash tray is and use Waze. I’ve never missed a backup camera. Doesn’t mean I would appreciate one! But when I purchased my 2GS I skipped the nav option and went for rhe Nakamichi stereo. Didn’t even come with Bluetooth. I purchased a Motorola unit for streaming music and making calls. No one can tell the difference.

I kind of like the fact the 2GS is not tech heavy. Classic lines and reliability is all I need.

Last edited by kevin3344; 04-10-18 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-10-18, 10:30 AM
604GS400
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rryba
You can always install your own head unit to run Android Auto/Carplay and a back up camera which is what I did with mine.