GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

1UZ intake separation - actuator removal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-18, 11:15 AM
jbtvt
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 1UZ intake separation - actuator removal?

In the process of replacing the starter contacts on my GS400. I had surgery recently so am not able to lift the whole intake manifold out for a few more weeks. When trying to separate the upper manifold from lower I felt it sticking at the back, and when I put my hand on the actuator I can feel it rotating ( and presumably opening the intake air control valve) as I lift up. Pushing my current limits to even lift this half off so would rather not struggle with it if it's not doable. My GF could probably help lift either half but she's not going to be able to get the whole thing.

1UZ intake separation - actuator removal?-1vubibe.png

FSM shows removal first but I don't have a gasket and would rather not get one if not needed. Also they show reinstallation as an entire assembly which I couldn't do, so If I have to put the assembly in as one I'll have to call in a favor and get some help to replace anyway, so might as well get help with removal too and skip actuator removal. I'd prefer to get it done on my own if possible though.
1UZ intake separation - actuator removal?-57x9nry.png

I tried looking with a cheap borescope but not enough room to see what's going on. Has anyone removed the upper manifold separately before? Is it possible to do without pulling the actuator?
Old 04-20-18, 02:17 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mai...-on-gs400.html

https://goo.gl/images/Ns3QHS

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...0-starter.html

Last edited by MikeFig82; 07-26-18 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-20-18, 05:22 PM
jbtvt
Driver

I read those threads, none of them address the question I asked. I'd love to take the manifold out as one piece but am physically unable to right now, as I said.
Old 04-20-18, 05:41 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by jbtvt
I read those threads, none of them address the question I asked. I'd love to take the manifold out as one piece but am physically unable to right now, as I said.
As you can see the picture on the post's. You can take it out as one piece. I did it many years ago as far I a can remember. I didn't remove the actuator. The whole manifold is about 15-20lbs in overall weight. Just make sure you lift straight up. It's been about 4 years ago since I did it.
Old 04-20-18, 08:46 PM
jbtvt
Driver

Again...I just had surgery. I cannot lift the whole manifold assembly. If I could, this thread wouldn't exist. I'm only asking about the actuator in the context of removing the UPPER manifold from lower, not the whole assembly. Anyone?
Old 04-20-18, 09:15 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

No, absolutely no need to remove the actuator.
Old 04-23-18, 10:47 AM
jbtvt
Driver

Future searchers, yes, you do have to remove the actuator to get the upper intake off. There is 1.25" of vacuum valve underneath the lower manifold and less room than that to rear wire loom etc, even after loosening it. There is no way the vacuum valve will clear without taking it off.

1UZ intake separation - actuator removal?-hewsajd.jpg
Old 04-23-18, 12:25 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I’ve done about ten starter jobs on UZ motors, not once have I separated the upper plenum from the lower intake, and never removed the ACIS actuator.
The whole intake, upper plenum and lower intake gets removed from the heads as one unit.
I think if your adding unnecessary work by separating the plenum from the lower intake.

If I were you I would have had a helper or two lift the whole intake. It’s just not very feasible to separate them.

Good luck.

Last edited by FrankT; 04-23-18 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-23-18, 01:37 PM
jbtvt
Driver

It's already off, I reconnected them had a helper lift. I had both gaskets so if the actuator could have stayed on it would've added less than 10 minutes. As is I agree it's not worth the hassle unless absolutely necessary, which it would've been for me if I couldn't get a helper to come by.
Old 04-25-18, 08:38 AM
eicca
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I’m in the process of making the plastic intake from a 2005+ 2UZ fit onto my engine, mostly for that exact reason: the stock intake is too damn heavy.

There are other reasons too, like my actuator VSV being dead, and fuel injectors needing cleaning/replacing, but the significantly lower weight will be a nice bonus.