GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Parts for timing belt service

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-18, 04:17 PM
GS300freak
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Parts for timing belt service

Hi all,

I have to replace my timing belt soon and I'm wondering which parts I need to replace together with the timing belt, waterpump etc. I've seen a kit on eBay which contains some OEM parts for the timing belt service (https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LEXUS-I...s=Make%3ALexus)

This kit contains the following parts:

* Timing belt (Mitsoboshi)
* Idler (Koyo/NSK)
* Hydraulic tensioner (Toyota)
* Drive belt (Bando)
Front cam seals (Toyota)
* Front crank seal (Toyota)
* Water pump (Aisin/Asco)
* O ring (Aisin/Asco)
* Thermostat (Toyota)
* Thermostat gasket (Toyota)
* Oil filter (Toyota)
* Drain gasket plug (Toyota)

Are these all the parts that I'll need for the timing belt replacement? I want to replace the spark plugs and V belt too. Mitsoboshi, Koyo/NSK, Bando and Aisin/Asco are all OEM brands right?

Thank you!

Kind regards,
GS300freak
Old 04-22-18, 08:31 AM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't see the timing belt service sticker on your list...
Old 04-22-18, 12:00 PM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Pen to mark the timing belt,...?
Old 04-23-18, 08:33 AM
GS300freak
Driver

Thanks, I'll add those to my list

Any important parts I'm missing?
Old 04-23-18, 11:35 AM
fperron
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That kit looks fine assuming you are going to do the work yourself. However, if you plan to have a shop do the work, check with them before ordering the parts. Many shops are (understandably) hesitant to let customers provide the parts for jobs like this. That's because they know what parts to order and don't have to post on this forum to get it right. They also have contractual relationships with certain vendors and that makes it easier to deal with situations where the vendor ships wrong or defective parts. Also, the shop is giving away money when they let you bring the parts.
Old 04-23-18, 12:26 PM
GS300freak
Driver

Originally Posted by fperron
That kit looks fine assuming you are going to do the work yourself. However, if you plan to have a shop do the work, check with them before ordering the parts. Many shops are (understandably) hesitant to let customers provide the parts for jobs like this. That's because they know what parts to order and don't have to post on this forum to get it right. They also have contractual relationships with certain vendors and that makes it easier to deal with situations where the vendor ships wrong or defective parts. Also, the shop is giving away money when they let you bring the parts.
Thanks for your reply! My friend (mechanic) is gonna do the work for me, so it's okay that I'm ordering the parts. Since this are all OEM parts for the GS300/IS300 I assume that they all are the correct parts.
Old 04-23-18, 07:52 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

giving away money? Stop it. More like they don't get the opportunity to charge you their ridiculous markup!
Old 04-24-18, 05:46 AM
fperron
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3

giving away money? Stop it. More like they don't get the opportunity to charge you their ridiculous markup!
It really depends on the shop you choose to do business with. Of course you're correct if we're talking about a Lexus stealership, but there are plenty of honest shops out there who are more interested in developing a loyal clientele than in burning people on a one time only basis. For example, if you live in west Florida, check out Gulf Auto Clinic in Bradenton.
Old 04-24-18, 07:28 AM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Just as an example. My previous indy charged no labor for an oil change. He got his parts from NAPA. You could go with whatever he chose to put in or choose the brand of oil/filter you wanted, as long as he got it. He would charge you whatever NAPA would have charged you if you bought it at the store. The profit for him? NAPA's charge to him was half of whatever the cost was to the public!
Old 04-24-18, 08:02 AM
GS300freak
Driver

It really depends on the shop you choose to do business with. Of course you're correct if we're talking about a Lexus stealership, but there are plenty of honest shops out there who are more interested in developing a loyal clientele than in burning people on a one time only basis. For example, if you live in west Florida, check out Gulf Auto Clinic in Bradenton.
Totally agree. My mechanic does everything for a really honest price and never makes money on the parts when he's buying it for me. Only thing he charges is labor.

Sometimes I read that people preventively replace the head gasket when changing a timing belt. Do you guys think this is necessary for the GS300? I don't have any oil/coolant leaks or something...
Old 04-26-18, 12:55 AM
DundukovEM
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 89 Posts

Yeah, you missing some gaskets in this work.
- valve cover gaskets (intake and exhaust, they are different)
- throttle body or intake manifold dual-pipe side gasket (this must be removed to get access)
also I suggest you to change PCV valve in the intake valve cover and spark plug wires
more likely, you will need connectors for the coils to be replaced on the wiring harness. After a few years, they are very fragile.
It will crack in pieces in the hands of your mechanic.

-